Sponsored by: Moser

Window felt, and speaker installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 12:50 PM
Tees77f150
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Window felt, and speaker installation

Well, the other day I started putting the window felt, and a speaker in the passenger door of my 77 F150. I put the felts in on the driver's side last year, and thought it was time to get the passenger side done. This is how I did it, and by no means is the only way to do it, just how I did mine. I got my felts, or as we called them back in the day "cats wiskers". I got mine from LMC, but after reading what others have said, I wish I had gotten them elsewhere.

I took my door off to drill the holes to run the speaker wire. If you have one of these lifts, NEVER, I repeat NEVER try to hang anything on it without the legs down and locked in place. The door isn't heavy, but just awkward and eliminates the chances for damage (as long as the legs are down).

Here is the door before I started.

Next is the door panel removed, and the paper is still in place. I am sure I am the first inside this door since it left the factory. On another note, I looked all through this truck now and this is NO build sheet anywhere.

Now, a look inside the door, bottom right.

Bottom left,

Next is the three screws of the A pillar of the door. You will need to remove these if you plan on replacing the rubber around the wing glass. I was not, so I only loosened them.

Next, I pulled all of the old felts out. they were mostly crumbly and broke up as I pulled them out. The drivers' side about fell out.

Now, I used a 7/16" drill bit, and drilled a hole 3 1/2" below the bottom of the top hindge. I then used an inside diameter 3/8" rubber grommet.

I then ran the speaker wire in the hole, and went up, came out in behind the dash where the wire is for the interior door light is.

I then drilled the hole in the door, 3 1/2" below the mark from the hindge.

The speakers I put in. They are used, but work nicely for this application.

If you don't use this, give it a try, it works great!

Now here is an issue I ran into the one clip does not have a hole to clip into, I just cut it off and it does not hurt anything. I ran into this with the driver's side too. One of the reason I wish I had gone with another supplier.

This is where I drilled the holes for the window vent and put it in. I then ran the felt down the window run next to the wing glass. then across the top and down the B puillar of the door.

With both runs down, it is time to put the horizontal runs in, I used a flat tip screw driver and push the clips in the holes and, you will hear them snap into place.

with that done, now is a good time to put a little lub on the window regulator.

Put the window track back inside the door, and continue the felt down into it from the B pillar using the two 7/16" bolts you took out of the door earlier.

I put the speaker in, and hooked it up. now to make it easier, I placed the screwdriver in between the felt near the door lock ****, tilting the driver handle back so you can help guide the window up to the felts. On the left side push it into the window track as a guide and push the window up throught e felts. Once you go up through it will hold the window so you can tighten up those two 7/16 bolt. Get your regulator in and on the track, and bolt it up.

Run your window up and down a few times and make sure everything is functioning as it should. Be sure to place the vent between the felt, and door. This will make the window a little snug for a while, but it will wear in.

I then placed 5/16 wire loom on the speaker wire and placed a few pieces of electrical tape on each end. I really didn't need to do this, but I felt better. I got this idea from fmc400, and it works really well, so I thought I wold pass that along and give Jeff credit for a great idea.

I then put the door panel back on, as you can see the speaker through the door panel grill. Next I need to get my stereo to put in. I am looking for a modern, but old school looking unit.

I hope this helps someone out, and takes the confusion out of the job.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:23 PM
Shane in WI
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great post Harold! It's on my list as well. I got my rebuilt carb and new gas tank installed so my truck is just about ready for spring. Good thing, it's been in the 60's this week here.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:23 PM
Tees77f150
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Shane in WI
Great post Harold! It's on my list as well. I got my rebuilt carb and new gas tank installed so my truck is just about ready for spring. Good thing, it's been in the 60's this week here.

Thanks Shane, just thought I would help someone out and give back to FTE since this site, and a lot good people on here have helped me.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:18 AM
bucks77ford
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Nice write up with detailed pics!!!! Wish I could have looked at that a year ago before I did mine, but I managed alright.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:51 AM
Shane in WI
Senior User
Sure like to look at photos of your truck. Still can't believe how similar the 2 trucks are. I noticed another thing. Are your shoulder seat belt covers (the plastic) painted body color or tan like the dash pad? Found a new hood and grill locally that I'm picking up this weekend. Thanks for the write up. I wasn't able to get pics when I changed the tank, but it sure went alot easier the second time.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:13 AM
jb10
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for the write and the great pics. i plan on doing this some time this summer.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:50 PM
Tees77f150
Posting Guru
Thanks guys, I hope it helps, that is why we are all here. Shane, I am not sure what you are asking about the seat belts, so I will post a few pictures and I think by doing so, it will answer your question.

Let me know if you need to see anyhting else.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:47 PM
Shane in WI
Senior User
Thanks Harold, that's what I was wondering. I had painted the plastic covers tan, but when looking at your pictures, I thought they might be body color, which they are. Mine had the same seat, dash, door panels, chrome headliner trim and I assume carpet.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:25 AM
Tees77f150
Posting Guru
I am sure it did too.