1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 F450 4X4 needing help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 04:00 AM
freq42
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 1997 F450 4X4 needing help!

I apologize for posting my question hear but I could not find the right area for my truck.

I just got my first ford, a 1997 F450 XL 4X4 with a 7.5L & 5 speed manual.
the truck is missing the lockout hub on the drivers side and cant seem to be able to find one.

the other problem is that when i use the Vin decoder it wont work on my Vin? 1FDLF47G1VEA.
the parts that don't seem to fit is the F47 "no listing" and the G after it?
DMV has no problem with the Vin and it is stamped that way on the vin plate.
I was hoping you all mite be able to figure out what hub i need to get the 4wd working again. the last owner lost the cap when thay changed the tiers.
any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:45 AM
Shawn63200
Junior User
VIN

That sound like an assigned VIN. Likely the truck was declared a total loss at some point and was ebuilt and the state assigned it a vin number. If it has the normal VIN plate on the dash (through the windshield), use that number, but otherwise, try a dealer or a good bodyshop in the area to check other stamping areas.

I'm not for sure what part you mean when you say they left it off at the last tire change.

Hope it helps.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:47 PM
freq42
New User
Originally Posted by Shawn63200
That sound like an assigned VIN. Likely the truck was declared a total loss at some point and was ebuilt and the state assigned it a vin number. If it has the normal VIN plate on the dash (through the windshield), use that number, but otherwise, try a dealer or a good bodyshop in the area to check other stamping areas.

I'm not for sure what part you mean when you say they left it off at the last tire change.

Hope it helps.
The truck has never ben totaled and the dealer thinks it was a custom ordered truck for an emergency company. the trucks life started in north carolina and was shipped to Maryland where it stayed till it went to PA for a couple of months before it cam to me. all that time there was no change in Vin according to car-fax.
the hub for the manual lockout on the axle has a cover that is bigger than the center of the rim and you use a allen key to remove to get the rim off the truck. at sum point that was dun and was either not put back on right and fell off or ? anyway it's now missing and i cant lock the thing in for 4wd. I cant find any information on the hubs and the dealer dint have a clue.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:15 PM
cworley250sd
Senior User
Can you take a picture of where the part is missing, it might help us get a picture of what you are asking.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:46 PM
freq42
New User
Originally Posted by cworley250sd
Can you take a picture of where the part is missing, it might help us get a picture of what you are asking.
I will post the pictures tomorrow when i get my camera back from work.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:35 PM
Shawn63200
Junior User
Lockout missing

I thnk I know what you are missing. Unfortunately, most places (scrap yards) won't sell just the piece you need. You can try car-part.com and see if you can locate a yard where they have just one of them and work a deal.

Good to hear that you may have some idea where the truck came from. Being a 450, it very easily could have been a cab and chassis for emergency vehicle work. Forgot about those.

FYI, carfax is not all that they make themselves out to be. It is better than nothing, but they are only as good as those that send their info to carfax. Working in auto insrance claims, I have seen cars come through that my company totalled out and retained by the owner and rebuilt and then sold to someone else or a dealer that got a real big surprise when they were in another accident. Most states now require that any owner retaining a vehicle declared a total loss must file for a salvage title prior to getting paid the settlement, but that doesn't always show to carfax. Plus you have the people that just fork out the cash to fix tens of thousands of dollars of damage from their pocket. Nobody at carfax hears about thoe either.

That said, anything fixed at a very reputable shop these days, to industry standards, should be as good or some times better than before. Sorry to get off topic there a little.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:33 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
This is about the best place to post this thread, so no worries there

And WELCOME to FTE!

The first thing I notice about the VIN is there are no numbers at the end? Usually there are 5 or even 6 digits there.

The "1F" is correct for Ford, so I don't think it's a salvage VIN.

The hub is going to be tough to find. You need to figure out what front-end is in there, a Dana 60 or maybe even bigger because it's an F450?

Take pictures not only of the missing hub, but the entire front axle and post them up.

If you have to, you can email them to me and I can post them for you.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:56 PM
Shawn63200
Junior User
F450

If I remember right, the ones done for cab and chassis have a weird short VIN. I saw them when doing campers and box trucks. Very possible that this started life headed that way or as a service vehicle wih the 4x4 front axle. Who knows if that is the original axle too. May have been swapped in, as I am swapping a Dana 60 into my 97 F250HD that came from an 02 F250 truck, but the axle codes say from an F450.

Art-I used to have a 97 Anniversary Cougar. Great car. Hauled a 5x8 U-Haul trailer loaded full, along with the car loaded full, at 85 mph from Kansas City to Phoenix (through the mountains in New Mexico). Ran, road nice and smooth, got 20-24 mpg doing it. And had 124k miles on it at the time. Sold it when I bough my truck out here to go off-roading again. Miss that car.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:52 AM
freq42
New User
the truck was converted to 4x4 when it first left the dealer.

unfortunately the info about the front axle and transfer-case have be scratched off.

this is what the hub looks like and is missing on the drivers side.

I drove it home today from the seller. doing my inspection before driving it home I found the carrier baring bad and a rear seal leaking on the passenger side. I drove it home "150 mils" and got 8MPG. the gas tank up front was removed? and was only running off the rear tank which seems to only hold 16 gallons or that's all i could put in to it when on empty. the axle's have 5:13 gears in them and had no problems tootling down the road. the mileage seems to be the same as my BIG RV and wont complain.
I went to a different dealer on my way home and thay tell me it may be a dodge front end i it but thay weren't sure what year. hopefully you all will be more knowledgeable then them. I don't know any think about fords for I'm a chevy/gmc guy. I got the ford to replace one of my Chevy's that could not be repaired any more.

Another problem i have found is that the check engine lite will go on after driving a couple of mils down the road. I replaced the O2 sensor do to a broken wire then performed the battery disconnect reset but still comes back on after a couple of miles. but will not go on letting it run for an hour in the driveway while doing other work on the truck. My question to you all is where is the OBD2 port? I have had the entire dash apart looking for it.
I want to retrieve the err code sew i can fix it or is this a dealer only thing?

I left the numbers off the end of the Vin do to ford told me thay went much help when i ordered the carrier bearing.

looking forward to all your replys.

Old 03-20-2010, 08:56 AM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Heavy duty looking axles, nothing I've seen before.

Old 03-20-2010, 05:16 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Those hubs are made by milemarker. Do a google.

Looks to be a 30-spline axle? Here's Mile Marker's app chart: Mile Marker Lock Out Hubs

Check out the hub specs at the top of that link. 30 spline, how big a bolt circle?

Maybe an 11038-01 ???

What's an RDS 70 axle?

Old 03-20-2010, 05:55 PM
Lubbockguy1979
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hmm closed knuckles, the diff cover is alittle odd as well. If it were me I would take a picture of the differential cover and post that up in the 4x4 section. Most of those guys can spot axles from a mile away. I'd also talk to randys ring and pinion as well they might be more helpful

Old 03-20-2010, 06:12 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
That is a Carraro axle. I thought I remembered seeing one a while back, and it was discussed on here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...rive-axel.html

Old 03-21-2010, 05:28 PM
freq42
New User
Originally Posted by Krewat
Those hubs are made by milemarker. Do a google.

Looks to be a 30-spline axle? Here's Mile Marker's app chart: Mile Marker Lock Out Hubs

Check out the hub specs at the top of that link. 30 spline, how big a bolt circle?

Maybe an 11038-01 ???

What's an RDS 70 axle?

If I Got it right mile marker 11034 is what I'm looking for even knowing the axle O.D. I measured was 1.29" and the bolt circle is 3.960" and all of them have healecoyal's in them which is probably why it's missing.
I will get a hold of the company that did the conversion for info. I did find a sale order number on the axle tag and axle type which is MC80 but I don't see a listing for it on there web site nor do i see the transfer case which is MT74470.
the axle cover is Chrysler 9.25" 12 bolt 12.5" wide.
mile-marker has it listed as Chrysler/dodge 1 ton W-300 series 76-1989
and international harvester 1 ton H.D. 200 with FA-20 axle.
I will be doing more searches on this. I will need all this info when i need to change the brakes and other stuff.

Old 03-21-2010, 06:17 PM
freq42
New User
Originally Posted by Krewat
That is a Carraro axle. I thought I remembered seeing one a while back, and it was discussed on here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...rive-axel.html
one web site i found thay say the MC-80 made buy the Italian co. Carrera for the company that did the conversan. It came out of a pre-'99 F450 Super Duty yet ford has no info on it? your link did tell me that my housing is Chrysler 9.5".
the truck will need brake pads soon on the front and with no info it's going to be hard to get them.

Quick Reply: 1997 F450 4X4 needing help!