General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Thermostat for coal stove blower.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2003, 08:05 PM
78bigunns
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Thermostat for coal stove blower.....

First I don't know squat about home wiring. The thermo that I was told to get is a "line voltage, double pole, heating only thermostat". I want to splice and wire in this thermostat to help regulate the blower motor. The blower is a simple single speed blower, plugs into regular wall 120v. I bought an outdoor 3-prong extension cord to splice, that way I get some extra length and don't void warrany on my blower. This seems simple enough, however, I have wired it all together and get nothing. Back of thermo, two red wires, labeled line. Also, two black wires, labeled load. I cut the extension cord, I have green, black, and white wires there. I am using the green as ground, black as load, and white as line to correspond to the thermostat. But when I cut the thermo on, it won't come on no matter how long I wait. Are my wires crossed? Would that matter? I figure if ground was wrong, then I would blow a breaker, so maybe the line and load are reveresed? The guy at the coal place, has his wired like I want to do mine, but he says someone else did it a while ago. Any insight would be great, I know someone here will know what to do. Thanks, Blair

Old 01-24-2003, 07:42 AM
russellkr
Senior User

I don't know that much anout your problem, but..........

Try these guys.

http://www.forums.woodnet.net/

You can post that ? in the Home Improvement section and I am sure you will get a response.

Its a pretty good site, much like this one, generally full of people with tons of experience in everything.

Old 01-24-2003, 08:07 AM
1997RangerXLT
Posting Guru

The way this is often done is with limit switches. When the fire gets hot enough, the fan switch attached to the metal plenum closes and the fan starts blowing hot air, starting sooner would result in cold air being blown. As the heat continues to raise, the fan keeps rolling to carry the heat out, if the temperature exceeds the cut-off temperature, the fuel source is cut off and the fan continues to run.

These switches are common on gas, oil and ... furnaces.