Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Complete TCI chassis?

Old 03-15-2010, 07:40 PM
Toms53Ford
Junior User
Toms53Ford is starting off with a positive reputation.
Complete TCI chassis?

I am looking at buying a complete chassis from TCI with the IFS/4-link setup. Has anyone else on this site used this chassis? I found a few threads about the IFS and a few about the 4-link but none specifically pertaining to the complete chassis.

This one: 53-56 F-100 Complete IFS Chassis Coil Over 4-Link Plain Pkg

Old 03-16-2010, 12:16 AM
52 Merc
Post Fiend
52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of
What is it that you hope to gain by buying a complete, replacement chassis, vs. modifying your original, besides not having to do the work? 10K is a lot of money, and then there is the whole title issue. The title of your truck follows the frame. So if you put your body on a different frame, you should have it inspected and stamped by your state license authority, which usually is your state police. I don't know if TCI issues a Manufacturers Statement of Origin (MSO) with their chassis, but I would want my legal questions answered before forking out that kind of cash. My 2c.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:37 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
55 f350 is a splendid one to behold55 f350 is a splendid one to behold55 f350 is a splendid one to behold55 f350 is a splendid one to behold55 f350 is a splendid one to behold55 f350 is a splendid one to behold
here 'bouts you wont run into too many issues with the title situation till you find a smart a-- or make somebody mad , then they're gonna make life hard on you . and i concur why spend ten grand on an aftermarket chassis when the oe can be tweaked to do , appear , and support whatever your little heart desires ?????? i still got plans for modding either the one under my 53 or the one i bought from boley with that 'bird irs and an ifs , and god knows what else my evil lil' mind can conjur up{ got notebooks full of idea's , drawings , specs , etc !!!!!! } .... but for now my baby is going back online soon as my daily ride in a pretty much unmolested state ........... expensive aftermarket stuff is oogly googly eye candy , but it isn't gonna outperform the oe if you do it right , just be equal too .

Old 03-16-2010, 08:16 AM
CharlieLed
Post Fiend
CharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant future
I have seen a couple of Walton frames being used on trucks here but none of the TCI, I would imagine that they are all similar in design and fabrication. What struck me is how thin the metal is on the frame members...from an enigineering aspect I guess that's fine since they use 8 inch box steel but if I lived in an area where rust was an issue I would think twice.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:31 AM
56panelford
Posting Legend
56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Toms53Ford View Post
I am looking at buying a complete chassis from TCI with the IFS/4-link setup. Has anyone else on this site used this chassis? I found a few threads about the IFS and a few about the 4-link but none specifically pertaining to the complete chassis.

This one: 53-56 F-100 Complete IFS Chassis Coil Over 4-Link Plain Pkg
That looks to be a pretty expensive way to go that would save you a lot of work. That price is for rear leaf springs too, how much more for the four link you mention? I'd stick with the original frame and buy the front and rear suspension of your choice and save the 5 grand you'd save to put towards the rest of your truck, just my thoughts.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:44 AM
Toms53Ford
Junior User
Originally Posted by 56panelford View Post
That looks to be a pretty expensive way to go that would save you a lot of work. That price is for rear leaf springs too, how much more for the four link you mention? I'd stick with the original frame and buy the front and rear suspension of your choice and save the 5 grand you'd save to put towards the rest of your truck, just my thoughts.
No, that is for the 4-link setup.

I suppose some of you didn't read my original thread. My 53 sits on a GMC chassis. I have bought parts for different model Chevrolet's and i'm tired of guessing what model or what part numbers I need. We plan on completely restoring the truck and i'd like an "OE" chassis to work with. Parts are much easier to come by.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:40 AM
rtcalabrojr
Darksider
rtcalabrojr is starting off with a positive reputation.

I suppose some of you didn't read my original thread. My 53 sits on a GMC chassis. I have bought parts for different model Chevrolet's and i'm tired of guessing what model or what part numbers I need. We plan on completely restoring the truck and i'd like an "OE" chassis to work with. Parts are much easier to come by.
point taken, but why not buy a used stock frame then? I have in the past years sold 2 good frames! They both sold for 100.00 each, way cheaper than the TCI. They are out there if you look. Good luck!!

Old 03-16-2010, 12:06 PM
vintage56
Elder User
vintage56 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
exactly what I was thinking. the highest I've ever seen a bare stock frame was about $300. add $2500 for a nice IFS, another $1500 for a nice rear suspy, say $500 for brakes (bracket, booster/cyl, lines) and your roller came in for less than $5k.

I've got a 55 f-350 frame that I'll part w/ sometime down the road (when I carve out time for trucks again)

JML

Old 03-16-2010, 12:11 PM
B/B ford
Clean & Classy
B/B ford has a good reputation on FTE.B/B ford has a good reputation on FTE.
If I could have afforded it I wouldn't hesitate to by a new frame by TCI. They are a local company here and I have been to their shop. Another local Manufacturer here is "No Limit", and I would suggest looking at their frames also because they are experts in building our trucks.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:04 PM
56panelford
Posting Legend
56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation

Sorry about that, I was reading what was writen under the picture, me bad. I guess if you have the bucks that would be the easiest way to go but like the others have stated buying an oem frame that someone is willing to part with would be cheaper. Then there is still title thing to deal with if it is a problem?
I checked to see if you had a gallery, I forgot you were sitting on a chevy frame, also can't remember your truck. Was it a red one that was posted in an earlier thread that I asked about wheel back spacing?

Old 03-16-2010, 07:18 PM
Toms53Ford
Junior User
Originally Posted by B/B ford View Post
If I could have afforded it I wouldn't hesitate to by a new frame by TCI. They are a local company here and I have been to their shop. Another local Manufacturer here is "No Limit", and I would suggest looking at their frames also because they are experts in building our trucks.
How is the quality of the TCI frames? I've never seen one in person but from the pictures i've found they look top quality. When I called they also said they set up motor mounts/trans mounts for whatever combination you're running.
Originally Posted by 56panelford View Post
Sorry about that, I was reading what was writen under the picture, me bad. I guess if you have the bucks that would be the easiest way to go but like the others have stated buying an oem frame that someone is willing to part with would be cheaper. Then there is still title thing to deal with if it is a problem?
I checked to see if you had a gallery, I forgot you were sitting on a chevy frame, also can't remember your truck. Was it a red one that was posted in an earlier thread that I asked about wheel back spacing?
No big deal. When I re-clicked the link I realized it said that under the picture. When I got a quote on the phone I was told $7,700.

The truck is red but I don't remember being asked about the back spacing on the wheels.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:33 PM
56panelford
Posting Legend
Quote No big deal. When I re-clicked the link I realized it said that under the picture. When I got a quote on the phone I was told $7,700. unquote

The truck is red but I don't remember being asked about the back spacing on the wheels.[/quote]
http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/p...y/DSCF2702.jpg

Yes sir this is the truck I was refering to. I had asked the question on your other thread you had started entitled new member with more question reply #39. Looking at the picture again I realize your truck is sitting much higher than mine and tire rub wouldn't be an issue for you, where as my tires are tucked up into the fender about an inch and a half and need to find some rims with a deeper backspacing, if not I'll be jacking it back up.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:12 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
carnut122 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.carnut122 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I bought one of their frames last summer after I found out that it would cost $600- $1,200 dollars to straighten mine with questionable results. The TCI frame and package is a nice set up. I'm still building my truck, but everything so far has been spot-on. Now for the bad; if you live out in a rural area with some hills and curves, your frame will end up at a warehouse where they'll want you to come and pick it up even though you paid for delivery to your residence. If you own a big truck and trailer, it might not be an issue. I don't own these things. So, after about 15 calls and a wasted couple of weeks, the trucking company finally came and delivered it. They also took a couple of extra weeks more to build it than they said they would. Check on delivery before buying it. I bought mine through Tim's Hot Rods.

Tim's Hot Rods - www.timshotrods.com

He worked hard to get the frame delivered to me and I'd buy from him all over again. TCI was totally worthless in getting it delivered.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:36 PM
sofob0909
Senior User
sofob0909 is starting off with a positive reputation.
dont mean to be off topic, but are there really whole frames selling for $100. Even $300 is great. I have a long bed frame that i was going to cut down but if i can get a whole rolling chassis for $100-$300 that would be fantastic. Would i run into problems with registration? I didnt think there was any stamping on the frame. Just the VIN plate in the door sill.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:22 PM
rtcalabrojr
Darksider
rtcalabrojr is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by sofob0909 View Post
dont mean to be off topic, but are there really whole frames selling for $100. Even $300 is great. I have a long bed frame that i was going to cut down but if i can get a whole rolling chassis for $100-$300 that would be fantastic. Would i run into problems with registration? I didnt think there was any stamping on the frame. Just the VIN plate in the door sill.
I sold mine on Epay and yes theres a stamping of the vin on the passenger side top of frame by the shock mount.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Complete TCI chassis?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.