1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Complete TCI chassis?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 10:29 PM
sofob0909
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how would i get passed inspection with the new frame?

Old 03-16-2010, 10:30 PM
rtcalabrojr
Darksider

dont know i guess its up to your state DMV, they are the gods!!

Old 03-16-2010, 10:32 PM
sofob0909
Senior User
should i ask them or just try to sneak under the radar?

Old 03-16-2010, 10:38 PM
rtcalabrojr
Darksider

I guess its up to you ? I done plan on selling my truck so im not worried. I have a frame that i have worked over front to back and i cant find my stampings. When i brought mine to DMV they just looked at the glove box and signed my papers and i went in side and got my plates. I did not even have to take it off the trailer or test anything! I was ok and on my way!

Old 03-16-2010, 10:46 PM
Toms53Ford
Junior User
Originally Posted by 56panelford
Yes sir this is the truck I was refering to. I had asked the question on your other thread you had started entitled new member with more question reply #39. Looking at the picture again I realize your truck is sitting much higher than mine and tire rub wouldn't be an issue for you, where as my tires are tucked up into the fender about an inch and a half and need to find some rims with a deeper backspacing, if not I'll be jacking it back up.
Ya, I believe it sits higher due to the frame it's sitting on. If I go with this TCI frame i'll be getting new wheels/tires anyway. I'm thinking something Chip Foose.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:10 PM
Herbiehusker
Senior User
My truck had a TCI chassis and title when I purchased it, so I don't know about the title problems. What I can say is that it is a very well built and nice chassis. My chassis has rear leaf springs so I cannot comment about the 4-link setup. Mustang II front end with disc brakes, 9 inch rear with drum brakes, under cab master brake cylinder, steel brake and fuel lines, and front and rear sway bars. The PO had the chassis set up for C***y engine, so that is still in there. I recently installed some Bilstein shocks and the ride is excellent. It is a very nice chassis.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:10 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by sofob0909
should i ask them or just try to sneak under the radar?
This just my experience from many years of dealing with bureaucrats;

NEVER, NEVER ask for permission, it makes them either have to do something .................or make a decision, the last thing they are programmed to do.

You have a title now and it’s on the cab, when is anyone going to want to look at the frame unless you say something?

Old 03-17-2010, 03:38 PM
woodyf1
Senior User
I think its a good igea if money is not an issue.As for registration here in Alberta its simply a matter of calling the authority having jurisdiction and paying 60 bucks for them to assign you a new vin based on the salvage vehicle standing title .I lost the vin tag during the rebuild of mine and that was what the dmv said they would do after that the vehicle has to have an inspection which is required on any vehicle 10 yrs or older we donot emmissions test in alberta so no problem thereThe cost of the chassis with shipping duty and deliver is too much for me albeit the strength of the canadian dollar has made it more enticing as of late however the frame modes are my wa to go save a bit of money but not hands on i prefer hands on but the choice is ours just my 2 cents woody

Old 03-20-2010, 05:16 PM
Toms53Ford
Junior User
Ordered the chassis on Thursday. It will be built on May 11th.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:06 AM
iforeman
New User
Hi

Have your received your frame yet? And did it come with and drawings

Old 10-31-2010, 10:24 AM
Toms53Ford
Junior User
Yep, got the frame and the front suspension/steering is pretty much done. The rear axle is sitting under the frame with the 4-link setup without the coilovers at the moment. I haven't had much time to work on it since i'm building a fence at the moment. Soon as the fence is done it'll be getting all of my attention.

As for the drawings, the TCI instructions are pretty vague. If you go online you get better instructions, but most of it is pretty self explanatory.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:22 PM
Toms53Ford
Junior User
Finally got the front and rear suspension done. Got the engine mounted and put a few parts on it. Hopefully will get to hear it run on the chassis this week.

Old 11-27-2010, 09:10 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
That's pretty much how mine looks, but I don't have the driveshaft loop on the last cross-member before the rear. I assume you put that one in? Also, my four link is mounted directly under the frame instead of inside of it. Do you have a "lowered" rear as in notched? Otherwise, I'm not sure why they're not the same. OBTW, the rack and pinion(if it's like mine) should be a 3/4" splined that's either a Lokar # 1717 or 1715 (that's with a 3/4" DD on the other end). Did you get your front springs to seat correctly at the bottoms. I never did. when I get it on the road, I'm hoping they'll "pop" into place. How did you install your front springs? I may need to redo mine. When I put mine in, I didn't have a motor and tranny in it to leverage with.

Old 11-28-2010, 01:43 AM
Toms53Ford
Junior User
Originally Posted by carnut122
That's pretty much how mine looks, but I don't have the driveshaft loop on the last cross-member before the rear. I assume you put that one in? Also, my four link is mounted directly under the frame instead of inside of it. Do you have a "lowered" rear as in notched? Otherwise, I'm not sure why they're not the same. OBTW, the rack and pinion(if it's like mine) should be a 3/4" splined that's either a Lokar # 1717 or 1715 (that's with a 3/4" DD on the other end). Did you get your front springs to seat correctly at the bottoms. I never did. when I get it on the road, I'm hoping they'll "pop" into place. How did you install your front springs? I may need to redo mine. When I put mine in, I didn't have a motor and tranny in it to leverage with.
The driveshaft loop was made by TCI and it wasn't special ordered. The rear isn't notched to be lowered, i'm not sure why yours is different. I'm not sure what you're refering to about the rack and pinion? The front springs are in the notches on the lower control arms like they are suppose to be. It was a PITA but the spring compressor we used allowed us to position them. I'll have to find the link for it tomorrow. I think we need to go with softer springs. I believe these are too stiff. With the engine on the chassis the coil still hits the upper control arm and doesn't move until more weight is put on the frame. Did you have an issue with the tie rods? I threaded them onto the inner tie rods but they don't go on far enough to bolt on the knuckle with both wheels straight ahead.

Old 11-28-2010, 07:30 AM
3golfjack
Laughing Gas

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice looking chassis. Looks like you need to put something on the bare metal in the pictures looks like surface rust is starting to pop out on it.

Quick Reply: Complete TCI chassis?