1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Super Duty Front Spring Code and Capacity Chart

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 08:45 AM
KansasJoe
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Super Duty Front Spring Code and Capacity Chart

I see a lot of people asking about front leaf spring codes and what their actual capacity is so I went through my spring books and matched up the codes with capacities so here you go. I'll list the spring code and then the capacity in pounds next to it and the capacity is per side.

R = 1430
S = 1630
T = 1830
U = 2030
V = 2230
W = 2430
X = 2630

Now in the middle of 00 Ford switched from a berlin eye design to a standard design so some of the springs such as the R code was only used from 99-00 and when you switch out springs you want to be sure to switch out to the 01-04 version because of the standard eye receiving full support from the spring underneath it. Easiest way to tell on the berlin eye is if there's a gap between your 2 leafs and you should always replace this design with the standard eye.

FYI - There is also a 3950 lb capacity spring but this is the X code with an extra tapered leaf installed on it so the 2630 is the heaviest Ford made.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:11 PM
Rosson03
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KansasJoe
I see a lot of people asking about front leaf spring codes and what their actual capacity is so I went through my spring books and matched up the codes with capacities so here you go. I'll list the spring code and then the capacity in pounds next to it and the capacity is per side.

R = 1430
S = 1630
T = 1830
U = 2030
V = 2230
W = 2430
X = 2630

Now in the middle of 00 Ford switched from a berlin eye design to a standard design so some of the springs such as the R code was only used from 99-00 and when you switch out springs you want to be sure to switch out to the 01-04 version because of the standard eye receiving full support from the spring underneath it. Easiest way to tell on the berlin eye is if there's a gap between your 2 leafs and you should always replace this design with the standard eye.

FYI - There is also a 3950 lb capacity spring but this is the X code with an extra tapered leaf installed on it so the 2630 is the heaviest Ford made.

how do u know what spring code u have!!!!

Old 02-05-2012, 07:29 PM
92f150I6
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Rosson03
how do u know what spring code u have!!!!
Should be on the door jamb sticker.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:55 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
Another way??

My truck no longer has a sticker. Is there another way to tell. I was able to detirmine that it came with trailer tow and camper pack.

Thanks for posting the initial info Joe.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:20 AM
gmyner
New User
I'm in the same boat

My truck is a 2000 f250 2-wheel drive. My door sticker is gone also, I've been trying to find out what my spring codes probably are. I got a build sheet from ford, it has on there heavy duty service package. I got another ford OASIS report that says it has a camper package. Doesn't mention heavy duty service package. I email ford about it and all they told me was it has the 5588 C spring code, I found out through some reasearch this is an AUX rear spring probably used with the Camper Package. So far I still don't know what my front coil spring code is or what the basic rear leaf spring code is. Any advise from anyone on how to find this out?

Old 05-14-2013, 07:40 AM
Renegade EX
New User
Hey everyone, I'm having a case of "spring fever" and trying to find some info like all the rest of you............ especially the 2wd folks. Most comments in the Excursion section for 2wd suggests a Z code coil at 4800#. I'm not against that but I would like to know what's out there before making a decision. Another curosity is whether the later Super Duty coil springs will fit the earlier models are not?

Also, I'm up the bayou a little myself in that my sticker is gone......... I'm currently working with the Parts-Man at the dealership to retrieve a new sticker using my VIN.

I appreciate any useful info. Thanks

Old 11-27-2015, 09:00 AM
Fuzzpuss
Cargo Master
Received 449 Likes on 297 Posts
Originally Posted by KansasJoe

R = 1430
S = 1630
T = 1830
U = 2030
V = 2230
W = 2430
X = 2630

Resurrecting an old thread for my first post; I've been shopping around for front leaf springs for my 03 F250 6.0L and I came across this thread
(https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post12515006) in which Stuart H (post #66) suggests that Ford's specifications for spring capacities are higher than what's listed here.

He elaborates in this thread (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...springs-2.html) beginning in post #22.

Can someone please explain the differences for a noob?

Thanks,
Chris

Old 11-27-2015, 08:10 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 832 Likes on 571 Posts
Originally Posted by Fuzzpuss
Resurrecting an old thread for my first post; I've been shopping around for front leaf springs for my 03 F250 6.0L and I came across this thread
(https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post12515006) in which Stuart H (post #66) suggests that Ford's specifications for spring capacities are higher than what's listed here.

He elaborates in this thread (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...springs-2.html) beginning in post #22.

Can someone please explain the differences for a noob?

Thanks,
Chris
Hey Chris, The whole issue with the SDtrucksprings vs OEM ratings centers around what SD..... had decided to call their replacement springs vs what Ford has established as their spring code rating system, they just aren't the same. As stated in the threads that you linked to SD..... uses the same part number (calling it an "X code") for several applications where the various different Ford codes were originally used. And the advertised rating for those springs is more in line with what Ford's rating was for their V codes. Pretty confusing for sure! Now from reading the post swap measurement from members who have used those aftermarket springs it sounds like they were getting more ride height improvement than what would have been expected from Ford's actual V codes, so the plot thickens.
I did a complete spring swap on my EX and decided for the money being spent (in the end I got very lucky with that!) and how important it was to me to get exactly what I was planning from the swap that only OEM springs would do for me. The misleading and apparently incorrect ratings listed on SD.....'s website left too much in question for me as to what exactly I should expect from their springs. I was extremely fortunate to have a set of X/B OEM take-off springs gifted to me by a co-worker and those springs (with my mods) delivered exactly the amount of ride height increase and performance that I planned for and expected based on the OEM specs.
And for what it's worth I have collected spring info from several sources over time but mostly from members here and my info shows some different ratings than what was provided in the earlier posts in this thread.

This is what I have collected on Ford's front leaf spring codes:
S codes = 4000lbs capacity, 370 inch/lbs, 4.34" travel.
B codes = 4100lbs capacity, 330 inch/lbs, 5.02" travel.
C codes = 4300lbs capacity, 350 inch/lbs, 5.01" travel.
T codes = 4400lbs capacity, 390 inch/lbs, 4.63" travel.
D codes = 4700lbs capacity, 380 inch/lbs, 5.14" travel.
U codes = 4800lbs capacity, 410 inch/lbs, 4.89" travel.
V codes = 5200lbs capacity, 430 inch/lbs, 5.13" travel.
W codes = 5600lbs capacity, 450 inch/lbs, 5.34" travel.
X codes = 6000lbs capacity, 470 inch/lbs, 5.54" travel.
Capacity is per set.

Old 11-28-2015, 08:07 AM
ATS Junior
SPONSOR
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey Chris,

What are you trying to accomplish? Height, weight capacity or both for the front of the vehicle?

I've been down this road before with this question and we supply a lot of guys on here with new replacement springs for the front and rear on their Ex's

Let me know if you need help with what exactly you want, I'd be more then happy to set you up with some pricing.

Old 11-28-2015, 09:49 AM
Fuzzpuss
Cargo Master
Received 449 Likes on 297 Posts
WE3ZS,
Do those numbers for travel refer to complete range of axle movement, or is that the gap between the bump stop and spring at rest?

ATS Junior,
I just bought the truck (totally stock) and I'm not sure what factory ride height should be with new or non-worn springs. I am planning on replacing most of the front suspension because of wear, and figured I might as well do the springs too, if only due to worn bushings. For now I would be happy with stock ride height and stock feel. Some day I would like a 2" lift with level front but don't have the money right now so getting back to ground zero seems like the right approach. As it sits with BFG A/Ts 285/75/R16s the top of front wheel well measures 39.5" from the ground, and rear measures 41". Truck is 2003 6.0L crew short bed 4x4 and has V-code front leaf springs.

Old 11-28-2015, 06:02 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Total amount of travel.

I have modified OEM springs under my EX but I have read nothing but excellent reports from several other EX (we EX owners do a lot of spring swaps to de-soccer mom our rides ) owners who have gone with Junior's ATS products. Considering what you stated you are currently looking to do and where you want to eventually get to, I would spring for (did you see what I just did there ) a set of Junior's X codes (He can build you springs that pretty much mirror real X codes) now which will put your ride at about level, then maybe just swap in a set of the F-350 blocks to get you back to a nice rake.

Old 03-06-2016, 09:53 PM
dcchadwick
New User
I've been reading this and other similar threads b/c I need to do a spring swap on my 00' EX-Limited V10.

Recently helped a friend do his; he got donor springs out of a 99' F-250 for just $135. Now sure what code they were, the springs were already out of the truck after a lift. His 00' EX-Limited 7.3L previously sat slightly nose-high. It now sits level, and is ~1.75" higher than before. He says that the ride is greatly improved, and so stable that he is no longer considering the Hellwig rear swaybar.

Is the ATS place that has been mentioned for springs located in Souderton, PA? I live only about 20 minutes from there. I've been recommended to go there by two sources, a diesel mechanic and a 4x4 shop owner who wouldn't sell me any of the springs that he had laying around b/c 'they're junk'.

Old 03-06-2016, 10:58 PM
99f350sd
Lead Driver

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
My 99 had flimsy springs when I got it..I went to the w's and for some reason I didn't like them. I went with the x's from ford and it raised it up at least 1.5" from the w's...Even the plow company said if you have the x's your truck will be 2 " taller and account for this when you set the plow up..I like it with x's. Its a good work truck.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:38 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Originally Posted by dcchadwick
Is the ATS place that has been mentioned for springs located in Souderton, PA? I live only about 20 minutes from there. I've been recommended to go there by two sources, a diesel mechanic and a 4x4 shop owner who wouldn't sell me any of the springs that he had laying around b/c 'they're junk'.

Yes, that's where they are, talk to Junior he will take good care of you.

Old 05-25-2016, 01:31 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 81 Likes on 16 Posts
As I write this, I have a new set of replacement springs in my dually to go on my friend's F250 in the morning. The stock ones are shot. I called ATSSprings and spoke to Bob and with Junior's help, ordered a new set for the F250. I wish I had known about ATS back when I did my swap on the X as these guys are really knowledgeable about the Super Duty and X springs. Although I am still completely happy with whatever SDTruck sent me that are on my X, I would like to have talked with these guys first.

Quick Reply: Super Duty Front Spring Code and Capacity Chart