Sponsored by:

V code Or X code Front Springs

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 09:58 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
Originally Posted by golfmedik
I have a set of X's for the front and C's for the rear in my garage waiting for me to find the time to get them put on! I believe I made the right choice for my truck.

Just patiently waiting for me!
Soooo, where in GA? If those c-codes get impatient, they can live on my X!

Also, you should come to our GA Chapter GTG on 8/25!!
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post12156960

Old 08-12-2012, 07:35 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 83 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
Soooo, where in GA? If those c-codes get impatient, they can live on my X!

Also, you should come to our GA Chapter GTG on 8/25!!
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post12156960
Not far form you actually! I live in Auburn. I've been waiting for a friend to clear his lift so I can put them on. It would be easier that way!
Believe it or not, I am trying to figure out a way to come to the event! . Very busy this month though, especially on weekends. Our son is testing for his 1st Degree Black Belt, so the camping trip got moved. Still trying to work out the details.

And NO!!!! they can only stay at my address!! Took me a long time to get them!

Old 12-04-2012, 05:59 AM
Jason 05 EB
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I"m getting desperate looking for a set of Vs for my EX. I'm going RAS in the back, maybe with a B code some day if needed, but RAS to start. Have not found a set of used set of Vs yet that were worth having. Using F150crewcab's V Code numbers above of 5200#; The Suspension King has a set right at that weight for $109 each. TheSuspensionKing.com - 1999-2007 Ford F250 Leaf Springs

What is everyone's opinions on OEM after market?

thanks!

Old 12-04-2012, 10:42 AM
Kdr358
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SDtrucksprings.com is where I got my x and c codes from I know a few others used them with great results. They are OEM certified springs. If you want ford springs I had them priced out with a 20% discount the front x codes were 412.99 for both fronts. The rears were 607.50 for both sides. I had all 4 shipped to my door for 500.00 from sdtrucksprings.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:44 AM
timf150
Laughing Gas
Received 94 Likes on 51 Posts
Finding a decent pair of used v-codes was also my issue. I could find some but I couldn't ....
1. verify they were actually v-codes
2. the mileage was very high.
Since it was taking too long I decided to just buy them new and I got them from Tousley.

Tousley Ford is a sponsor on our site and the OEM V-codes they sell are a good price. Shipping can sometimes be a killer since these are a heavy item.

FORDSVTPARTS

You can also get a quote from Tousley and see if your local Ford dealer will come close to matching the price. I did this when I picked up my rear b-codes.

As far as OEM vs others....you need to make sure you verify the spring ratings as some springs have the same name (v-codes) but don't actually have the correct spring ratings.

Tim M

Old 12-04-2012, 11:42 AM
Jason 05 EB
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Kdr358
SDtrucksprings.com is where I got my x and c codes from I know a few others used them with great results. They are OEM certified springs. If you want ford springs I had them priced out with a 20% discount the front x codes were 412.99 for both fronts. The rears were 607.50 for both sides. I had all 4 shipped to my door for 500.00 from sdtrucksprings.

KDR, Yes I noticed that SD only had X codes, not true rated Vs. How happy are you with your X/C swap? What size lift did you achieve front and back? Can you shoot me a side view and tell me what tires you run now? Since I don't tow and want the littlest lift possible and run a V10, I was afraid it would be too much to go X/C. Thank you.

Tim, I need to call over to my Ford Garage and get a quote. I'll let you know.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:27 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Kdr358
SDtrucksprings.com is where I got my x and c codes from I know a few others used them with great results. They are OEM certified springs.
Please explain this statement. What do you mean they are OEM certified? Ford has in no way put their stamp of approval on the springs from that seller otherwise it would be all over their web page that they are a Ford approved spring seller. SDTruck Springs is nothing but another aftermarket point of sale company that supplies leaf springs to the public.

Just FYI, the X codes listed on SDTruck Springs website barely meets the specs for a Ford V code spring. The ones listed on the site are in no way close to the Ford X code spring specification. Neither is the rear C code they have listed.

The C code listed is actually spec'd out as less than an A code spring, which was stock on an Excursion.

I had to break the news to GolfMedic too and he's confirmed this with SDTruck springs: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post12515006

Originally Posted by Jason 05 EB
KDR, Yes I noticed that SD only had X codes, not true rated Vs. How happy are you with your X/C swap? What size lift did you achieve front and back? Can you shoot me a side view and tell me what tires you run now? Since I don't tow and want the littlest lift possible and run a V10, I was afraid it would be too much to go X/C. Thank you.
When you're shopping for springs, if you start looking at aftermarket springs, don't use the Ford designation codes for the springs. It will confuse you if you do because i've discovered the aftermarket spring company's may use the same Ford code designations, but the spring specs are totally different.

Always compare specs.

Stewart

Last edited by Stewart_H; 12-04-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:50 PM
Kdr358
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I stand corrected! I thought that by them saying it was OEM on their site meant it was the exact thing. That would explain why the "lift height" is much different compared to true X/C springs. Do you think they are still sufficient on a stock 7.3 ex? I was just looking to remove the spring sag. I don't really tow much, should I look into new springs again or just drive it and see how it plays out? After I installed them I realized they were a Chinese company that made them. But FWIW I gained about 2 1/2 inches in the front and about 2 in the rear. I have stock tires but ill try to get a pic once the rain lets up.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:53 PM
timf150
Laughing Gas
Jason, I also looked at the picture of your X again and it does look a bit higher than stock. You may want to crawl under there and check for any part numbers and post up.

Most of the time the part numbers are very difficult to decipher but you may get lucky and find a matching part number to verify what spring code you may have front and rear if they were changed out.

Tim M

Old 12-04-2012, 12:55 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
I'd just keep 'em, Kd. The fronts you got are spec'd almost exactly the same as a V code. And while the rears are less than an A, you can always add the RAS and you'll have an excellent setup.

Stewart

Old 12-04-2012, 02:27 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 83 Likes on 16 Posts
I have been happy with my swap since I've done it with the exception of my rear lower rake. Only slightly though. If you look at the SDTruck website, you can find where they say they are selling the X code springs for the front, then you can find on their site that the same code number is identified as a V code spring in their Excursion swap write up. After what Stewart found, it does look like that their so called X codes are actually B's and the Cs have a lower rating than initially thought. Whatever. All I know is,that my truck sits, rides and drives much more to my liking than I ever thought it could. As I told Stewart, my buddy put V/Bs off his other buddy's F250 on his X and mine sits higher in the front and rides stiffer than his. Who knows?!! The rear of mine does not squat hardly at all when pulling the Vette behind it like it did with the stock springs, and these are supposedly a lower spring capacity than what was on it?? I am not sure what is going on with that either. I just know I love my truck even more now than I thought I would again. As far as changing out my rear springs again, (thinking I got a mislabeled set) I may just go ahead and bag it(SD and Stewart's idea) to get the perfectly level rake I want. I would hate to go through the work of changing them and then it sit exactly the same or worse. Of course, it could sit level(remember I have a lot of stuff in the rear of mine).
So today, I called a local spring shop to ask some questions. According to his book, he states the front that came on the X has a capacity of around 1700-1800 pounds per spring and the rear has a capacity of 2200 or so. So, again, lots of different numbers being thrown around. Both places that I've talked to since have said that even the 3000 pound per spring that I now have on there would be too stiff in their opinion. And the new fronts have a capacity of 2300 or so. I just don't understand unless there is a different way that the aftermarket spring folks measure the capacity of the spring versus the factory?? All this has made my head swim at times and thankfully I've had some people on this forum to help me get through this. Including Stewart who has been a terrific help.
Still trying to find out some answers as to the above problems, but getting close to saying to heck with it and drive the daylights out of my X as it drives like I always thought she should.

On Edit: I just got off the phone with a spring shop in Atlanta that suggested I go to this site and look through what all is offered from them. I did. Wish I had seen this site prior to ordering all of mine. Gives us a couple of more options. http://thesuspensionking.com/catalog...h1b7uac01d2t05

Old 12-04-2012, 07:24 PM
Jason 05 EB
Freshman User
Tim,

I'll try to crawl under it tomorrow and see if I can find a spring code. Do you know off hand where to look? Are they stamped in a certain place? Would the absence of a mark tell me they are after market? This truck seems to have had a sweet life. Looks new, zero rust underneath. Yet still 92k miles the springs have to give some. It was also a FL truck so no hills to climb. The back seats have no kid marks either.

GolfMedik,

I too have been looking at the suspension king. 5200# rated front pair is about 250 with shipping. The sales guy sent me a picture of an X that looked like it just had the V/B done. He had the numbers for the swap.

I've found a set of Vs off a 2003 F250 for $200. 73k miles. The guy on the phone wouldn't really tell me the condition, told me if I liked them they would "burn them off" when I got there. A day off, 3 hour round trip not counting the "burning" time, and no guarantee they aren't completely rusted. My local Ford garage can get them new for $400. Decisions, Decisions.... guess I get under there and take a look to start with.

Thanks Guys !

Old 12-04-2012, 07:45 PM
timf150
Laughing Gas
When I got my springs from Tousley I paid $147 each.

Tim M

Old 12-05-2012, 07:28 AM
Jason 05 EB
Freshman User
Tim,

I just ordered my V codes from Tousley. Shipping made it worth while and cheaper then what I could get them for locally. More expensive then used or after market springs, but I know what I'm getting.

It's cold and wet here in WV so I didn't shimmy under my X this morning, but I did some stock comparisons on Auto Trader and looked at some pre/post V installs. I sit higher then some X's, right even with some others (specially late model 04/05 Eddie Bauer), but seemingly slightly lower then the V install pics I've seen. My spring code on my sticker is CCGG. Is everyone else's the same?

I also negotiated new Monroe shocks with the dealer and have less then 500 miles on them. I don't know if that helps or not.

So I have the following coming soon. Front Stabilzer, Y Pipe, V Codes, and RAS. Should I start a build thread of my own? I want to post pre/post RAS/V pics.

Last edited by Jason 05 EB; 12-05-2012 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Changed OEM to after market. My mistake on the useage of "OEM".
Old 12-05-2012, 08:29 AM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason 05 EB
My spring code on my sticker is CCGG. Is everyone else's the same?
The spring code on my sticker is DG. I have a 02 Limited with the 7.3. So does anybody know what the DG rating is or what it compares to as in A, B, C, V, W, X code springs?

Quick Reply: V code Or X code Front Springs