Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Drain

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 07:46 PM
skotyg
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery Drain

Does anyone have any idea what would cause a suddden battery drain? I have a 94 f250. The battery charges up fine and holds a charge until I put it back in the truck, then overnight it is dead. Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Old 03-09-2010, 08:29 PM
BigBlueOx
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Take a multimeter and measure the amp draw with the Key OFF. To do this put the meter to DC Amps and put your meter leeds in the correct sockets. Hook up your positive cable to the battery and put your meter in series with the negative cable and the negative post on the battery. While you have the meter hooked up start pulling fuses untill the meter goes to zero. Remember to have the key Off.
This will allow you to narrow your seach to 1 circuit. Then you can go from there.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:52 PM
skotyg
Freshman User
Thanks BigBlue, Ill give it a try!

Old 03-09-2010, 09:10 PM
jroehl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What's the voltage on the battery with the truck off and running? Also, pop the vent caps off the battery and measure the voltage between each two adjacent cells (1-2, 2-3, ...5-6) and tell us the 6 numbers you get for those.

This is an easier/quicker check and should be done before the other one mentioned to make sure the battery is good first before you start looking for parasitic drains in the truck's wiring.

Jason

Old 03-09-2010, 09:47 PM
BigBlueOx
Posting Guru
Actually the quickest test would be to see if the truck has an amp draw while the key is off. If you have an amp draw look at the truck.....if you don't have an amp draw look at the battery.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:38 AM
jroehl
Post Fiend
Not to be argumentative, but an amp draw test requires the removal of a battery cable, which can be easy (or a major PITA), but checking the voltage of a battery and its cells doesn't require anything other than the voltmeter. Maybe a pocket knife to pop the vent caps off. Plus, the battery itself is a much more likely candidate for a problem. In hundreds of thousands of miles of driving, I've never had a parasitic drain, but I have replaced quite a few batteries--every 3-7 years, depending on the vehicle and battery.

Jason

Old 03-10-2010, 01:26 PM
wickedklown83
Senior User
ok my truck does have a draw, the battery is brand new and has done perfect in my ranger ( its a 65-n, which is called for by the 250) but i put it in my 250 yesterday to move it around, it started perfect, left the battery in it overnight and today its dead as can be, my question is do i have to remove a battery cable to do the test as described by bigblueox?? if so would it be the negative i assume i would disconnect

Old 03-10-2010, 02:09 PM
BigBlueOx
Posting Guru
You can do it on the positive or the negative but the negative is safer. And yes you have to take the cable off because the meter has to be in series in order to read amperage. They do make a inductive style clamp meter for measuring DC amps but they're pretty expensive for how much you would use it.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:35 PM
jroehl
Post Fiend
What voltages did you get on each of the cells? I had a fairly new battery that showed every sign of a draw--until I checked the voltages on individual cells and found a short internal to the battery.

Jason