6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis
Old 11-21-2014, 01:31 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

MY BRAKES GO TO THE FLOOR AND SO DO YOURS, I THINK

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 07:36 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
MY BRAKES GO TO THE FLOOR AND SO DO YOURS, I THINK

08 job1 with hydroboost ABS. When pushed down firmly at idle my brake pedal will go to the floor. That concerned me and I took it in for repair. Came back with no action, brakes checked and are fine. So I do some research on here and other places and I can't find any thing that supports their conclusions so I call and make another appoitment for the service manager to check it out. He sits in it and the pedal when pushed firmly goes to the floor. SM says that dosen"t seem right so I leave the truck for repair. A few hours later service rep calls and says they ran tests and called the ford hotline. Hotline and tests say the truck is OK. They checked another truck and it does the same thing, they say my truck is ok. So, I go up and we try someone elses 08 truck and sure enough it does the same thing. So FWIW if you find that when firmly pressed your brake pedal goes to the floor save yourself a trip. that's normal.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:46 PM
LuckyDog1949
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not knockin' ya, StanleyZ. But if that happens in my truck, I'm getting it to the shop! Once I have it documented that Ford says it's "OK", I'll have grounds for the law suit after the wreck.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:36 PM
wk4bg8s
Freshman User
Okay, bear with me a bit. So, say I am idling, backing my boat down the ramp, if I push on the brakes they will go to the floor??? Okay, I'll bite, they have FloTec automatic flotation technology that saves my truck, like totally kewl, a free option that Ford did not mention, and brakes none-the-less by Toyota

Seriously, after reading this I tried it on both of our 2010's, and they are rock solid, stop just like I would expect. I am not an engineer, but that just seems, pardon the pun, dead wrong.

Just my .02 sense...

Old 03-09-2010, 11:18 PM
LaxPlaya21
Posting Guru
Clearly that is not right. To me, sounds like some air in the lines. Maybe the brakes just need to be bled a little? How fresh are your pads?

Old 03-09-2010, 11:46 PM
kylebryan
Senior User
yeah my 08 job 1 dosent do that and im def not interested in testing the "FloTec automatic flotation technology" HAHAHA

Old 03-10-2010, 04:19 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Stanley, how hard are the brakes applying when the pedal is "on the floor?"

If it's anything like mine, you'll lock all 4 wheels long before the pedal actually gets that far. Remember the hydroboost system uses high pressure power steering fluid to drive the brake booster rather than a little bit of engine vacuum like most gas trucks.

I've never tried to see how far I can push mine, but I know it will go way farther than necessary, even in a panic stop. What's wrong with this? Still brakes fine, this just means we have lots more braking power!

Old 03-10-2010, 06:28 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
nope, rock solid does not go to the floor...there has got to be air in yours. Tell them to leave the computer against the wall and get under there and bleed those brakes...you know like before computers. Just my thoughts.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:43 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Yep, all the stuff I said and thought. The truck brakes fine under operation. While driving it the brakes stop the truck long before the brake pedal can be pushed beyond half way down. The pressure applied to to get the brake pedal to the floor is firm. I am not a muscle man and at 67 I don't have a lot of power, but I can push it down with what I would call a firm effort. My best guess on backing the boat down the ramp it that it would stop and hold the truck before I could push it in. But to tell you the truth I haven't tried that. And for Lucky Dog, believe me, I pointed out to them that if I had a wreck and died they would make my wife a rich widow. I also pointed out that I would be the first one on the scene of the accident. Seriously, this is a good dealership I've done bussiness there for years. So, I don't know what else to do. Maybe it's an 08 only thing. But I would think that if it is a big problem I would find more forum stuff on it, and I found nothing here and only one thread on another site and the OP on that didn't come back and close it out with the final resolution. I only drive the truck to pull my 5er so for right now I'm not gonna worry about it but I am open to suggestions from this forum.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:57 AM
thw420
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
08 job1 with hydroboost ABS. When pushed down firmly at idle my brake pedal will go to the floor. That concerned me and I took it in for repair. Came back with no action, brakes checked and are fine. So I do some research on here and other places and I can't find any thing that supports their conclusions so I call and make another appoitment for the service manager to check it out. He sits in it and the pedal when pushed firmly goes to the floor. SM says that dosen"t seem right so I leave the truck for repair. A few hours later service rep calls and says they ran tests and called the ford hotline. Hotline and tests say the truck is OK. They checked another truck and it does the same thing, they say my truck is ok. So, I go up and we try someone elses 08 truck and sure enough it does the same thing. So FWIW if you find that when firmly pressed your brake pedal goes to the floor save yourself a trip. that's normal.
My truck does this. My pedal gets really soft after about 1000 miles.... I can almost always put it to the floor. I told Ford and they checked and said "everything is within spec"

I actually ran into the back of someone because the truck wouldn't stop. Pedal was to the floor. We were both in big Fords so no damage to the bumpers (except mine got bent a little).

I figured out if I SLAM on my brakes from about 35-40MPH to 0MPH, then my pedal firms up for about 1000 miles and feels great... VERY ODD!

Old 03-10-2010, 08:03 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I think your truck is trying to tell you that it wants more attention.

Really though, my '08 will stop a 14K trailer without brakes and the ABS will even kick in when the rear gets pushed up by the 5th wheel. I only do this for a brake check now and then and also to teach myself how far i need to stop. Then I turn up the brake gain.

Wish I could give you a magic answer.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:23 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by ruschejj
I think your truck is trying to tell you that it wants more attention.

Really though, my '08 will stop a 14K trailer without brakes and the ABS will even kick in when the rear gets pushed up by the 5th wheel. I only do this for a brake check now and then and also to teach myself how far i need to stop. Then I turn up the brake gain.

Wish I could give you a magic answer.
Hi-jack this to ask a question. I just bought a new 5er, gross is 14K. Since yours and mine are the same truck what am I looking at for mpg's. I suppose I might as well just stick a garden hose over the injectors?

Old 03-10-2010, 10:19 AM
kylebryan
Senior User
SENIX; you need to get rid of that banks 6 gun and go with a spartan. Take your DPF/DOC off and you will see probably about a 40% gain in mileage. I tow about 14k regular hauling cars and stuff and i went from 8mpg highway to 10-12 with these mods.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:28 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro

Wish I could give you a magic answer.[/QUOTE]

OK, I'm just trying to gather some info. I don't think this is right either but I really don't have any reason to doubt the dealer. So please try this, next time you think of it at a stop light or in the driveway, just push down firmly on the brake pedal and see what happens. Sennix is absolutly sure his stops, mine don't and it sounds like there are a couple others on the thread with the same results. If I can get enough feedback maybe I can find a pattern. Or maybe someone will chime in who fixed the same problem. And thanks fpor all the responses.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:50 PM
jeff7825
Posting Guru
Is this while in Park or while in Drive? Don't know if it would matter or not. I tried it today while sitting in the drive-thru (there was no one in front of me), while in drive, and mine did not go all the way to the floor.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:29 PM
hunter08
Freshman User
My truck also does that stanleyZ.Its only in park that i noticed it.The dealer even put a new master cylinder in my truck and is still does the same thing.My truck stops just fine while going down the road and towing.I found this by reaching for something one day and noticed that the pedal went way down so i pushed a little harder and it went to the floor.It's a little freaky but I've gotten use to it being able to do this.Had truck since11/07 and 57,000miles so far.Remember this is only sitting still.I can acually almost push it to the floor while sitting at a red light.After you stop just keep putting pressure on the pedal and you will see it keeps going down (wierd) maybe just some models?

Quick Reply: MY BRAKES GO TO THE FLOOR AND SO DO YOURS, I THINK