1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Starting Problems again!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 10:22 PM
dougbrown
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starting Problems again!

OK guys I have read the stick post above and can't seem to find the awnser I need there.

I pluged my truck in last night be for I when to bed. Got up this morning and it started right up. Does every morning as long as it pluged in. I drove my 20 minute ride to school. I was in school today for about 4 hours. When I when out to my truck to go home it wouldn't fire. It was in the low to mid 40's out. On a normal day it would sit there for 6 hours.

I let the glow plugs cycle for about 90 secs then tryed to start it. I cranked it for 20 secs and nothing. (I know cranking for long periods of time can hurt the starter.) I then cycled the glow plugs agian for another 90 secs, Cranked it for 20 secs and nothing. I did this about 8 to 10 time before it finally started. I even tryed pushing the petal a little and it didn't work. The truck normaly cranks for 5 sec's then starts. While I was cranking today it was puffing out white smoke and the tack was moving to about 300 rpms. I had the radio off and nothing else on to draw more amps.
It doesn't do it all that time but now and then. It is hard to start when in the 30's if not pluged in.

Now about a month ago I put a new napa gpr 109 in it. That didn't change my hard cold start. I'm starting to wonder if it is a glow plug problem it self. Is there way to check the glow plugs with them still in the truck? What is a good way to clean the plugs in the vavle covers. Also what to use?

I had a code reader on it and it was not throwing any code. This was not while I had my starting problem but when I got home.

I did a battery, altinador and starter test and everything is good.

So I'm lost and hope someone can point me in the right derection. I have worked around Idi equipment but this is my first bigger problem with a DI engine and a computer system.

Thanks for your help
-Doug

Old 03-04-2010, 10:39 PM
JamesHajek
Postmaster
Sounds to me like glow plugs, I had the same issue. As far as testing, I know you can test the continuity of the plugs at the valve cover pins but someone will have to tell you what numbers you should be looking for because i do not know.

Secondly, Do not touch the pedal when your trying to get the truck started. The computer does that for you and your not helping the situation by doing that, in fact, your probably making it worse.

Lastly, how long do you let it warm up before parking it at school? Does it change if you get the truck all the way up to operating temps before letting it sit?

Old 03-05-2010, 07:37 AM
DRRXR
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
UVCWH

You can ohm them out.

1) Key off
2) Discconnect the connector
3) Using a good ohm meter check the ohms on the first pin on the left
4) Then do the same for the last pin on the far right.

Complete this for all 4 of your UVCWH connections

Toasted GP's will have no connectivity or zero ohms.

Good ones are around 2.5 to 3 or so ohms. Those that ohm higher are shorting out above 5.

The first pin on the left is the GP and the second one is the Injector the center one is the Ground or common, and the 4th one is injector and the last one is a GP again.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:50 AM
powrstrkr
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The GPs that read high are not shorting out. They are burning out or already burnt out/open. Zero ohms is no resistance, or a short. Do our GPs short out, or only burn out/open?

Old 03-05-2010, 08:00 AM
DRRXR
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
More coffee

Originally Posted by powrstrkr
The GPs that read high are not shorting out. They are burning out or already burnt out/open. Zero ohms is no resistance, or a short. Do our GPs short out, or only burn out/open?
Your right, mixed it up with an applied voltage test that can be done using the common.

Burning out GP reads higher. They can short out depends on the swell. Also zero can mean the the UVCWH could be bad, anyway if one reads bad, then when you go to change it you can check the UVCWH at that time for issues.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:39 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 03-17-2010, 03:13 PM
dougbrown
Postmaster
Ok guys, I'm going to replace all my glow plugs. 1. when it does start I get white smoke witch tells me a few glow plugs are bad. I have not had a problem till this moring again at 39* out side.

2. What are good glow plugs to go with. Would like to order them from a auto parts store. Doing them in 2 weeks. I know to say way from auto lite but whom do u guys recomend?

Old 03-17-2010, 04:07 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Motorcraft is what you want. What I've heard other brands tend to swell and are hard to remove. I got mine for 80 bucks online somewhere shipped. Actually I think it was a company on ebay but I don't remember for sure. That's been lots of orders ago, brain don't remember that.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:10 PM
dougbrown
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 427 fordman
Motorcraft is what you want. What I've heard other brands tend to swell and are hard to remove. I got mine for 80 bucks online somewhere shipped. Actually I think it was a company on ebay but I don't remember for sure. That's been lots of orders ago, brain don't remember that.
Like from Ford?

Old 03-17-2010, 05:23 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
I'm sure you can get them at ford but you'd pay more. I just searched around on ebay I think and found the cheapest place and ordered them.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:16 PM
dougbrown
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 427 fordman
I'm sure you can get them at ford but you'd pay more. I just searched around on ebay I think and found the cheapest place and ordered them.
i have a friend that works parts in ford. I can get them at a discount but will look around.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:45 PM
dougbrown
Postmaster
Ok guys, I got my glow plugs the other day for 60 bucks. I know there was a thread in here about replacing them but I can't find it. My biggest thing is 80 for vavle cover gaskets. Well a gasket.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:26 PM
mojoman
Senior User
next time you need "engine" parts goto IH...half the price of Ford..I paid $120CAD for both gaskets for my '95...Ford wanted about $115 each...easy decision as IH did build our diesels...)

mojo

Old 03-30-2010, 03:43 PM
dougbrown
Postmaster
Originally Posted by mojoman
next time you need "engine" parts goto IH...half the price of Ford..I paid $120CAD for both gaskets for my '95...Ford wanted about $115 each...easy decision as IH did build our diesels...)

mojo
Thank you. I have deside to try to reuse the ones I have. Then some high heat silocon them back on. If not napa has them for 73.00 each. Who is IH?

Old 03-30-2010, 05:17 PM
mojoman
Senior User
IH is International Harvestor...the company that built our motors..

mojo

Quick Reply: Starting Problems again!