1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 F-250 GEM module problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 07:17 PM
andrewzucker
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 F-250 GEM module problem?

I've been looking through earlier posts and I'm still not sure I'm dealing with a GEM problem. Last Thursday it rained like crazy and my windshield leaked. I know this because when I looked under the dash on Friday I saw water on the fender. Here are the symptoms I've been dealing with:

When I was driving to work on Friday the truck started making the beeping sound like I left the lights on after taking the key out. Later I noticed the blower stayed on after the key was removed.

I removed the GEM and the fuse panel. I noticed the smallest amount of water in one side of the fuse panel connections. Everything else was bone dry. The GEM looks like it has never been wet.

Upon reinstall everything worked as it should.

Saturday, truck beeping at me after the key was removed eventhough the lights were not left on. The blower also worked with no key. I tried to let everything dry out.

By Sunday night everything looked good.

This morning the truck didn't start. The battery was dead. I took the fuse panel and GEM out again for a look. This time I tried to take a better look at the fuse panel. I pried the case a bit and it looked like there was some corrosion under where the 2 connection blocks attach.

When I put everything back together all seemed fine again. However it seems like after I disconnect the battery everything is good but after a cycle or two of starting the truck everthing gets screwy.

What's going on? Why so intermitent? I saw something about the thru-firewall connection, bad ground, and bad fuse panel as sources of similar problems besides the GEM. What should I do? I'd rather not spend the money if the GEM isn't the culprit.

BTW, my truck has power nothing. Manual 4x4 so the GEM shows 4x2. No power windows, locks or obviously keyless entry.

Thanks for your help, and sorry this was so long.
-Andrew

Old 03-02-2010, 05:04 PM
98f2501w2k
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My dad and I had the same problem. He has a 01 F250 and had the fan running with no key and window operating issues. I have 98 F250 and I had fan running, radio on, instrument lights on and beeping all with no key in, which leads to dead battery. We both think that the GEM has nothing to do with the problems. It appears that water leaks in at some mysterious place and runs right down the wires leading to the fuse block. The way that those plug in and the angle of the fuse block make a bad combination of collecting water. He pulled his fuse block, blew out the water with an air hose and silicone around the perimeter and at the two main plugs. He also made a cover out of a garbage bag and placed it above the plugs around the wires to divert any water. He has not located the leak area yet, but when it rains hard you can see the water drip from his homemade cover. On my truck I removed the fuse block and GEM, GEM was completely dry fuse block was water logged I blew out the water and opened it up it was really corroded inside. I went to pick n pull got a fuse block for $20 which was in great condition (FYI: pick n pull sells the GEM for $20 "if you need one") I put it back together again. I think I located and fixed the leak, everything works great on both of are trucks hope this helps.

The following users liked this post: