1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter motor Powering itself...not relay

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 01:42 PM
RdaivdL
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starter motor Powering itself...not relay

Good day,
We have an 1999 f-450 super duty with a cube van box that we use for pickup.
About a month ago the radio and lights started to stay on, various other electronics did the same.

we found mostly it points to the gem module...was unable to obtain a new one so we found a use one.
For the time being we started disconnecting the battery ( would kill both overnight )
and magically....everything was working again so we didn't bother installed the used GEM.

Now....its given Chirstine a run for her money and auditioning for a maximum overdrive reboot
The starter started to turn. Took the keys outa the ignition but a few moments later it started again.
Got to the point the starter wouldn't stop and we were running around the shop looking for tools to disconnect the batteries.

Its not starting the engine so the ignition should be ok, its just powering the starter motor.
checked the relay and it seems to be working fine.
We tried to install the GEM we bought however, it seems its not the right part and its
too late to return it now so, we are trying to find a new one ( not used ) from somewhere.
so the gem is bad as the radio, blower motor etc comes on and off at will but here's the kicker....
with the GEM removed...the starter is still powering itself....

Thought maybe the fuse box got moisture or something, put a heater on it to dry it out. Pulled the starter fuse, turned off...pulled radio fuse samething
so i think the fuse box is ok.

.....any idea's were to start looking next while we wait for a GEM?

Thanks to all for looking

Old 03-04-2016, 03:54 PM
RdaivdL
New User
40 views and no response.....wow I must be more screwed then I thought :-(

Old 03-05-2016, 08:14 AM
The Bone
Cargo Master
Received 228 Likes on 164 Posts
When stuff like this happens it's tough to find the right answer. I would take it to the dealer and let them figure it out. Sounds like a short in the wiring. It also sounds like it may be just the starter that is the problem. All the power goes through the starter to the truck. I don't think there is a separate wire from the battery to the fuse box.

Old 03-05-2016, 11:40 AM
RdaivdL
New User
Well thanks for the suggestion, however, if I wanted to waste a few thousand dollars I'd take the kids to Disney land ....perhaps the dealers around you have decent mechanics but, where we are it take 2 weeks to get a transmission fixed...this would take them all year.

It is mostly likely all related to this GEM module so for the time being we have rigged a switch in the truck to close the relay on the starter and get it moving.

Once the new module comes in we'll continue digging into the issue.

I'll post back once we have some results incase someone else comes across this issue.

Thanks again to all that had a look

Old 03-08-2016, 11:20 AM
RdaivdL
New User
Good day,

Just an update.... we drained the computer of power you can watch a quick video if your interested

THat seem to stop the power going to the starter.

We have the new GEM module and will be installing it later this afternoon.

Let you all know how Christine is feeling later :-)

Old 03-08-2016, 02:02 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 875 Likes on 727 Posts
Common Leaky Windshield Syndrome symptoms.

THat seem to stop the power going to the starter.
Probably a coincidence.

The starter signal doesn't go through the GEM module, so good luck!

Old 03-08-2016, 03:27 PM
RdaivdL
New User
No the gem does not power the starter...either way.....whether you wanna believe it or not....draining the system stopped power going to the relay to starter for no reason what so ever.

And the new GEM is in....all electronics seemed to working great.

So I shall leave that as the answer to any others looking for a solution.

Power drain the system...check the GEM module.

Thanks again

Old 03-08-2016, 11:00 PM
99f350sd
Lead Driver

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Nothing powers the gem in the starter area of a 99...very simple gem system.
water or a short. usually windshield leaking on fuse box. Check wires for short at starter.
I know 99's....
Also computer has nothing to do with the starter circuit its just like an old car.
Key sw, relay,starter...with prndl in there.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:16 AM
RdaivdL
New User
The issue is resolved...I don't understand why everyone seems to be determined to tell me the GEM doesn't power the starter....perhaps I explained it wrong.....The GEM was an issue that was previously there.

The starter began cranking itself over a month later.

I have used this forum to look into issues for other ford trucks and have been pleased with results I found....I figured I would throw it up here and see if anyone had a thought we missed...I got a suggestion....go to the dealer.
Very helpful...I am here as the dealer knows nothing about the vehicles they sell.

Which is a lot like asking a tech to fix your computer and him telling you to go to the manufacturer.....so again I will leave this thread as it is resolved and no further discussion is required.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:26 AM
firebirdparts
Mountain Pass
Give me the good old days when we called the "GEM" a fuse box. Glad you got it fixed. On a lot of cars GEM failure is a very high-dollar problem, and it's not all that uncommon unfortunately.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:45 AM
RdaivdL
New User
I can second and third that....My father is an old school mechainc from the 60s and 70's fixing hot rod's.....never ever had these kinds of issue and when something odd did happened you could trace a wire back to an issue and fix it.

But then....the onboard computer won't know that you turned your wipers on in a rain storm...and log it...cause its useful information :-)

Old 12-05-2016, 10:49 PM
Polkster
Senior User
I have a 99 450 and prob have water in my gem mod. Has rained 2 days strait.
The gem module, where is it located and is it fairly easy to do yourself?
Is there a youtube link anywhere?
Im not a mechanic but i am able.

Old 12-06-2016, 08:41 AM
Deuce40s
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have never heard of a GEM in my life. When did they stop calling them fuse panels or fuse boxes?

Even though this is an old post and the OP said he got it fixed, the relay doesn't have to fail and remain "failed". They can start working again and keep operating normally for several days or up to a year with continued use. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case here.

Old 12-06-2016, 08:49 AM
RdaivdL
New User
Good day,

It is located under the dash behind the fuse box.....yes it is a pain in the *** but do able.
Even After changing it a few months later it started again ( ended up cranking all weekend with no around to hear it and took out the starter motor ). Ended up re-wiring the starter motor to a push button in the cab just so if the module starts up again it will just drain the battery.

We found were it look like water was coming in a sealed it off and it seems to be behaving now.
Good luck pal.

Old 12-06-2016, 09:32 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 875 Likes on 727 Posts
I have never heard of a GEM in my life. When did they stop calling them fuse panels or fuse boxes?
This generation of truck has both fuse panels (two of them) and the GEM. The GEM is a multi-function, programmable module responsible for controlling many of the convenience and utility features on the truck. Also called a "Body Control Module" by Ford in newer year models and also by other vehicle manufacturers.

Quick Reply: Starter motor Powering itself...not relay