Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser
Old 11-20-2014, 06:24 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Windshield cracked - Replace with OEM or aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 09:36 PM
wolfy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by busyknight
What's your take on the "reduced lead" in the glass business? Ever hear of that before (any truth to that)? Is auto glass more "soft" now than say, a decade or two ago (i.e., more prone to chipping / cracking, etc.)?
I know that Lead was not added in the 'batch' making process. Now some of the older 'plate' glass process i think that lead was used. This process isn't even close to the same as the pulled process. plate you don't see those 'draw' lines or wavy lines at all.

At the plant I was at, we just produced the raw glass there. From there it was shipped to GM or other vendors where they formed the curve to it and the tempered it and placed the vinyl/rubber material in-between the two panes and 'glued' it together. So to say that it is softer, I'm not sure really how to answer that. Maybe they used some different raw materials... Not sure, but I doubt it.

I do know that they make some coatings for pitting/scratching. I have seen them go on the H1's that went to Iraq, with all the sand and junk over there. It was called diamond something or other. Amazing stuff. I saw a side by side comparison, and you couldn't even see out of the none treated side and the treated side looked brand new. I really doubt and automakers put that on, but you never know, they could have used some variation of that.

Anyway I know i didn't really answer your question, but just another brain dump anyway

Old 03-04-2012, 10:15 PM
outbacktaz
New User
So I finally got my windshield replaced this past Thursday. I went aftermarket, with a substantial saving. Aftermarket was $365 installed, Ford was $500 plus installation and taxes.

And I had a little chat with the owner of the glass business. I asked him about the lead content, he said that this was urban legends. He explained: Of course there will be a lot less lead when they make the windshields thinner. They try (car makers) to make their vehicles lighter for fuel economy, and they thin out their windshields. That's his explanation, he said he had visited 2 plants in Canada (Montreal and some other places in Ontario), and that's what he had learned.

Actually, I think that there's other spots on a truck where you can thin out, but not on the windshield!!! And the glass that I got installed at his shop is better than the OEM, it has a smoke line at the top, and the dotted area behind the rearview mirror. but it doesn't have the F150 stamped on it...! LoL

Old 03-15-2012, 08:13 PM
busyknight
Junior User
Lightbulb Hey outbacktaz !

To answer your first question, it was really directed to wolfy (per the subject line); however, I certainly don't mind hearing other people's thoughts on the matter...just that wolfy has "first hand" experience with the auto glass making industry. I'm not sure I buy that auto glass made today is substantially different that what was made twenty years ago (hardness-wise, chip-wise or crack-wise). If anything, time tends to improve products and processes.
--
And speaking of glass, who was the manufacturer of your replacement windshield?