Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2009 - 2014 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum193/)
-   -   Windshield cracked - Replace with OEM or aftermarket? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/932251-windshield-cracked-replace-with-oem-or-aftermarket.html)

bnk190 02-20-2010 09:22 AM

Windshield cracked - Replace with OEM or aftermarket?

My truck woes continue. I'm not liking this truck.

Through no ones fault other then act of god and temperature my windshield cracked yesterday. Nothing has ever hit it and when I drove the truck home it was fine went out an hour later and I have a 8" crack from the very bottom up.

I called the dealer. I can get OEM for $550 or they sell an aftermarket for $450. I called Safelite and they want $318. I normally take the OEM road but I'm still irked at Ford for all the other problems with the truck so I'm leaning at the Safelite method.

If I go to the dealer I also have to rent a car. They want the truck all day and their shuttle isn't operating when I need to be at work. Safelite will come to my house or work.

Thoughts? Is a windshield simply a windshield regardless? Safelite or aftermarket won't have the F150 logo in it but I don't care about that.

awq134 02-20-2010 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by bnk190 (Post 8540001)

Through no ones fault other then act of god and temperature my windshield cracked yesterday. Nothing has ever hit it and when I drove the truck home it was fine went out an hour later and I have a 8" crack from the very bottom up.

I called the dealer. I can get OEM for $550 or they sell an aftermarket for $450. I called Safelite and they want $318. I normally take the OEM road but I'm still irked at Ford for all the other problems with the truck so I'm leaning at the Safelite method.

If I go to the dealer I also have to rent a car. They want the truck all day and their shuttle isn't operating when I need to be at work. Safelite will come to my house or work.

Thoughts? Is a windshield simply a windshield regardless? Safelite or aftermarket won't have the F150 logo in it but I don't care about that.

I'd go with safelite. I haven't dealt with them personally, but i see them doing work all over town here. If they were selling an inferior product, i wouldn't think they would be doing that much business. Also, i'm sure their glass has to pass the same DOT requirements as Ford's glass does. Just my 2 cents.

what model and year truck do you have... also what problems?

YoGeorge 02-20-2010 09:41 AM

Check the brand of windshield. I have spent some time on other brand forums, and the two windshield brands that I recall as being a cut above are PPG and Pilkington. These are supposedly more resistant to stone chips and cracking.

This is not meant to be absolute advice, but maybe ask the glass installers what brand they will be using and do a bit of research to see how those brands might vary.

Good luck,
George

johnwill 02-20-2010 09:47 AM

I wonder who makes the Ford OEM shields?

shotgunz 02-20-2010 09:53 AM

I think it's Carlite.

Chris Anchor 02-20-2010 10:01 AM

I have used Safelite for repairs over the years and their repair works. It stops the running crack if under 3" or so. I was taken back by how "soft" the Ford windshield is or maybe the angle but I have had three deep chips fixed over this last year. It's free with my insurance company, thank goodness. Chris

silver05fx4 02-20-2010 10:11 AM

one of the differents with aftermarket glass it won't say f150 at the top, but safelite does sell both oem and aftermarket glass

erngum 02-20-2010 11:54 AM

I took a rock to my windshield and had it replaced with a Safelite w/ the F-150 logo. $278 installed (northern CA prices). I've taken more rocks to the windshield and no cracks. There seems to be no difference in road noise.

Ern

johnwill 02-20-2010 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by shotgunz (Post 8540078)
I think it's Carlite.

Thanks shotgunner.

Carlite

bnk190 02-20-2010 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by silver05fx4 (Post 8540135)
one of the differents with aftermarket glass it won't say f150 at the top, but safelite does sell both oem and aftermarket glass

Well safelite comes on Wed to replace and they do offer one with the F150 logo so that is what I chose. That one is $383.

tpdaniels 02-21-2010 03:55 PM

I'm not trying to be negative, but in the past 10 years I have used Safelite twice and both times I had problems, one leaked and the other they put new rubber trim around the glass and it was such poor quality it never fit right. Both were covered by insurance and they tried to fix them but thats all it was was a fix. Last month I had the windshield replaced in my 97 F-150 (it had a Safelite brand replacement) and I was there when the glass company (Deals Auto Glass) near Charlotte took it out and they and I just laughed at the poor quality of the installation that Safelite had done, it's no wonder my windshield was cracked and it was a miracle it did not leak.

You should shop around, I called several companies and got a ford windshield installed in my 97 for $247.00 total. Safelite's price was $212.00, I'm glad I paid the extra for the OEM glass.

tseekins 02-21-2010 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by bnk190 (Post 8540001)

Do you not have comprehensive insurance? You would only be responsible for meeting the deductable. Unless of course if your deductable is $500 then you may as well not claim it.

I've used safelite a few times and I'm far less than impressed with them. Their product is fine but I've had a few issues with workmanship. Trying to be a good steward with my insurance company's money, I used them as they had the contract.

1. Leaving black caulking all over my F-150
2. Installing the wrong piece of glass in my F-150. Clear for XL instead of tinted for XLT.
3. A complete re-do for my '99 Taurus. The glass leaked during rain storms after replacement.

bnk190 02-22-2010 04:53 PM

I do have insurance but I'm from the mindset insurance shouldn't be used if under $1500 or so. Why have your rates go up for nothing. $500 isn't going to make me go broke.

Now for the last two posts have me rethinking going with them.

ford2go 02-23-2010 12:14 AM

Are you sure that you don't have windshield coverage on your insurance?

I know that WI doesn't require it, but it's worth a check. It may have a dedictible, but if you have it, you'll save some $$$

wsninstp 02-23-2010 06:14 AM

I have full glass coverage on my insurance. I didn't have any additional out-of-pocket cost for my last two windshields.