1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Wheel Wiring Harness

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 08:34 PM
kcschultz
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Wheel Wiring Harness

Does anyone know the part number for the harness that goes from the redundant stereo controls (on the steering wheel) to the clock spring? 1 side plugs into the switches and the other plugs into the clockspring.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:59 PM
intolerance
New User
Doesn't exist. It's part of the steering wheel itself. From what I've been told, the steering wheel installed in your truck is based on factory options, meaning if it didn't come stock with audio controls then there is no harness for that option.

I know first hand now. I removed the air bag to look at the inside of the wheel and clock-spring connector to add audio controls. The wheel did not have a harness available internally for the right side audio and adding it would take a little work because the harness on that particular wheel has only the left side wires terminated in the plug. I have the schematic and verified that the harness from the clockspring-back had the correct wires, but to add the controls you would need a different internal harness that has both left and right controls terminated on the plug. The harness is part of the wheel and not sold separately. If you look at the manual it says "part of 3600" which referring to the harness that refers to 3600 which is the generic number for the wheel.

I did look @ Tyco Electronic's website to get a new set of connectors to make a new harness, but this may be impossible because these automotive connectors are proprietary to the industry. I have the internal part number for the plug needed where the switches branch out.

TYCO - 1452016-2
As far as the plug for the switches themselves, you need to look at the cruise switch to get the plug number.

Good Luck -

Old 03-04-2010, 08:10 PM
dougydougy
New User
I am looking to do the same add to my steering wheel. I actually purchased a new steering wheel with the controls on the wheel from Tasca. The problem is that the wire harness connector on the wheel with the audio controls is different than the one on the wheel with only cruise. I thought maybe changing the clockspring to the one with the correct harness connection might solve the problem. Has anyone done this mod?

I found a clockspring with the correct harness here.

http://www.fordpartswebsite.com/secc...746/125/30746/

I haven't taken the steering wheel apart past removing the airbag and finding the harness mismatch. I'm not sure what's behind the clock spring.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:29 PM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm hitting the same problem right now, and I can find two solutions...

first, somebody make the harness somewhere. Otherwise it doesn't exist... Now it is just a matter of getting them to sell you one without a steering wheel around it. I'm not sure why they wouldn't.

second, you can pull the correct harness out of a steering wheel that has one... maybe from a junkyard.

Old 06-25-2010, 06:07 PM
dougydougy
New User
After months of agony I found the part. Ford makes a factory clockspring that solves all of the problems at the steering wheel. I'll post the part number later this weekend (have to pull the steering wheel). The real trouble begins in finding the pins that fit into the radio and EATC harness plugs although I think I have that solved too. I am at the point now where I am testing the wiring to make sure the impedance is correct for the radio to work.

I should get it all working this weekend. If so, I'll post a full write up.

It's amazing more people haven't tried to do this. I've never found very much posted anywhere about it.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:55 PM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
how does a clockspring solve the problem of wires missing?

Old 06-26-2010, 05:22 AM
Frankenbiker
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dougydougy
I should get it all working this weekend. If so, I'll post a full write up.

It's amazing more people haven't tried to do this. I've never found very much posted anywhere about it.
That's because everyone, everywhere, that has any connection whatsoever to Ford, says, unequivocally:

IT CAN'T BE DONE.

(Been there, had it said to me.)

That, and usually, most people get what they want by going aftermarket and not screwing around with the factory stuff.

But now that there appears to be a way around it, I'm paying VERY CLOSE attention to see if your work can be followed up on, to get SYNC working in a SuperDuty that didn't come with it.

-blaine

Old 06-26-2010, 12:36 PM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
wait so what years are we talking here?

on the 2008-2010 there is only one clockspring no matter which options you have. The differences comes with the wiring harness inside the steering WHEEL not the one in the COLUMN. Short of robbing a wiring harness out of a steering wheel that already has the options I want or making my own harness, I'm not sure there is any other way to get the harness.

my big question is, what happens if the wiring harness in the steering wheel goes bad? How does one replace it without buying a whole new steering wheel?

Old 06-30-2010, 01:01 AM
dougydougy
New User
Finally got it done.

Well, after months of trial and error I finally have this complete. To preface this discussion I have a 2006 F250 XLT with OEM 6 Disc stereo and cruise control only on the steering wheel. This is not for the Sync system. I agree with Frakenbiker, if you want to have something like that it is better to go after market on a new head unit. The objective was to change out the wheel for the one with redundant audio and EATC controls. I don't have the EATC and may not do that upgrade. That being said, now that I have it working it is a simple thing to do.

I have a detailed write up but I'm having trouble posting it with the pictures. PM me and I will send it to you.

Last edited by dougydougy; 06-30-2010 at 01:59 AM. Reason: correct information
Old 06-30-2010, 09:09 AM
tsedgar
Hawkerpilot05
I don't think the PM function is enabled until you have a certain number of post. Maybe 25? Would be interested in this also.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:27 AM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
so did you just change out the wheel, or did you add the wiring to the wheel you already had?

Old 06-30-2010, 02:52 PM
dougydougy
New User
I swapped the wheel to add the one with the redundant audio andEATC controls and added the wiring to make it work.

Old 06-30-2010, 03:07 PM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
ah, I see 2006 now... so you had to change clockspring and everything, not just the wheel.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:00 PM
dougydougy
New User
Yep. Post an email address I can send to and I will email you the .pdf file of the wirte up.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:28 PM
Frankenbiker
Fleet Mechanic
e-mail: powrlftr *@* powerbear -dot- com

Edit accordingly.

-blaine

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Wiring Harness