Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

What Have YOU Done To Your Truck Today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2022, 09:12 PM
Sci79Ranger
Tuned
Received 61 Likes on 51 Posts
Made a short video of my idle issues and realized i truly hate my voice.
Gonna do a full tuneup tomorrow but this is what am dealing with thanks to the PO and his Chinese carb

The following users liked this post:
Old 09-17-2022, 10:01 PM
thatsrealnice
Laughing Gas
Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts
Canopy hatch and rear bumper

Removed hatch off of factory canopy and added some weatherseals. Hopefully they will help to keep it more dry in the bed. Installed my new to me rear step bumper. Got bumper and receiver hitch for $100. Had bumper sandblasted, and some bodywork and paint.

Old 09-17-2022, 10:05 PM
thatsrealnice
Laughing Gas
Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts
Pinch welds.

Originally Posted by cwegga
They work. I got some out of a junkyard truck and they are better than the badly glued on correctish ones from my PO. There are a lot of spots where there isn't a correct lip to press them onto. Rubber mallet work made everything fit ok and the scuff plates hold down the bottom. The fit isn't great and if I had to pick with no difference in cost and effort to me, I'd do the glue on correct seals. But for minimal work and minimal cost it is a great way to replace worn out seals.
I'm considering tacking on some metal strips along the edge of the door sill and using the metal rib to push over like they did on the later trucks, instead of flattening out that metal rib.

Old 09-17-2022, 10:31 PM
tbear853
Lead Driver
Received 1,346 Likes on 1,140 Posts
Today ... gathered up my old tailgate, doors, fenders, bed sides, strapped them tight on my trailer after cutting some and we hauled them to the dumpster / recycling center and put them in the long "metal only" dumpster. Then we dropped the trailer at home ... and then drove up to the Staunton "Cracker Barrel" for supper. Truck draws attention, I even got an offer but I said "don't think so". Beautiful evening drive.

Oh yeah, I also washed it at a spray only car wash. I have a wind whistle, was looking for a leak, none found yet.

Old 09-17-2022, 10:34 PM
Sci79Ranger
Tuned
Today (Sunday) after i get this darn dizzy freed up and the new timing tab put on (anyone know if the 302 timing tab bolts go into a water jacket?)
I will be doing a Comp.test then setting base timing, carb tuning then adding all this (thermo is a maybe as it seems mine is fine)
Plugs: Autolite copper
Wires: Ford Racing 9mm
Cap/Rotor: MSD Duraspark
Radcap
Oil change
Coil
vacuum leak test,

Old 09-17-2022, 10:42 PM
Sci79Ranger
Tuned
Originally Posted by tbear853
Today ... gathered up my old tailgate, doors, fenders, bed sides, strapped them tight on my trailer after cutting some and we hauled them to the dumpster / recycling center and put them in the long "metal only" dumpster. Then we dropped the trailer at home ... and then drove up to the Staunton "Cracker Barrel" for supper. Truck draws attention, I even got an offer but I said "don't think so". Beautiful evening drive.

Oh yeah, I also washed it at a spray only car wash. I have a wind whistle, was looking for a leak, none found yet.
Side note I see you are from Virginia. My truck was born there in Norfolk

Old 09-18-2022, 09:47 AM
tbear853
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Sci79Ranger
Side note I see you are from Virginia. My truck was born there in Norfolk
Mine and a lot of others too.

I listened to the video several times and I couldn't tell much from it.

I see that fellow lied to me ... when in 1994 I drove my truck up to Vermont and he told me that there were no rust free trucks up there .... mine was on a 5 year old paint job (it's second since new) and still looked great. Looked even more better coming home to Virginia with a '74 Trident in the bed and a 7" Lucas headlight in my mirror though.

Bought the bike sight unseen in Vergenes, Vt. ... 760 miles one way, callouses on hands from holding the truck's hard plastic steering wheel as we bounced along the concrete interstate joints, was me, my Wife ... and our dog.

Old 09-18-2022, 11:56 AM
Sci79Ranger
Tuned
Mine and a lot of others too.

I listened to the video several times and I couldn't tell much from it.

I see that fellow lied to me ... when in 1994 I drove my trtuck up to Vermont and he told me that there were no rust free trucks up there .... mine was on a 5 year old paint job (it's second since new) and still looked great. Looked even more better coming home to Virginia with a '74 Trident in the bed and a 7" Lucas headlight in my mirror though.

Bought sight unseen in Vergenes, Vt. ... 760 miles one way, callouses on hands from holding the truck's hard plastic steering wheel as we bounced along the concrete interstate joints, was me, my Wife ... and our dog.
You got lucky. While most of 79 is pretty solid (frame, front end, bed) the cab is losing it's battle with rust. Fixable for sure but I have 0 experience with both welding and body work and I don't have the budget for that kind of repair work.
I got mine with pictures and a video of it "running and driving" once i got it home all the gremlins reared their head. I had it delivered and I am glad i did, this would have never made it on the interstate.
The video isn't the best but it has a very noticeable miss now it could be the 302 7-8 misfire i have heard about if the wires cross but I feel it's more. Engine doesn't smoke one bit though.

Old 09-18-2022, 01:57 PM
Sci79Ranger
Tuned
Well about 2 weeks of PB blaster and a small crowbar and "gentle" persuasion i now have a freed up dizzy! Now to put the timing tab on after i make sure neither bolt enter a water jacket and i can finally set the timing.

The following 2 users liked this post by Sci79Ranger:
Old 09-18-2022, 02:34 PM
R&S20
Tuned
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts
Drove it little bit, and washed the love bugs off again. I should have been cleaning the shop but decided to wash front of truck instead

The following 2 users liked this post by R&S20:
Old 09-18-2022, 05:40 PM
tbear853
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Sci79Ranger
You got lucky. ... etc ... it could be the 302 7-8 misfire i have heard about if the wires cross
My bad. Was the bike I drove up to haul home with my truck in 1994, I've had the truck since 1986. What I was alluding to was how rust free your truck looked here.

Old plug wires will do it, as well as spark to ground. Had a "new to me" '67 Chevelle SS that idled rough, opened the hood in the driveway with engine running, the opened hood blocked street light's light ... looked like a freekin' fireworks party on top of that BBC. New plug wires went on the next day.

Old 09-18-2022, 05:44 PM
i-w
Fleet Mechanic
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
3G swap complete. so far working properly.

I installed the rocket man Volt gauge with the 3G swap.

NEXT will be the radiator swap. going with electric fans and a 3 row supercooling radiator setup.

radiator:
https://www.championradiators.com/se...all_566018034=

200 amp alternator
https://shop.broncograveyard.com/Alt.../products/269/

Rocket man F100 volt gauge
https://www.rccinnovations.com/index...=menu-volt-all

Old 09-18-2022, 08:00 PM
Sci79Ranger
Tuned
So i got under the truck put on my timing tab and this is the only mark i can find on my balancer which lines up with the circle under the alternator im guessing there are other marks i just cannot see on this thing?

Old 09-18-2022, 09:28 PM
tbear853
Lead Driver
Take some 400 wet or dry sand paper, rub back and forth with finger pressure, should soon be able to see more. They are faint enough they "gunk up". Some carburetor or brake kleen on a rag will maybe help too. Might need to use a wire brush.

Old 09-18-2022, 10:18 PM
Sci79Ranger
Tuned
My bad. Was the bike I drove up to haul home with my truck in 1994, I've had the truck since 1986. What I was alluding to was how rust free your truck looked here.

Old plug wires will do it, as well as spark to ground. Had a "new to me" '67 Chevelle SS that idled rough, opened the hood in the driveway with engine running, the opened hood blocked street light's light ... looked like a freekin' fireworks party on top of that BBC. New plug wires went on the next day.
Ahh gotcha lol to be fair it is rust free in areas that usually are gone so the cab while bad could be worse. I figure its bad wiring overall. On these coils, does that connector (the ford one) just pull upward? It's old and i really don't wanna break it lol

Quick Reply: What Have YOU Done To Your Truck Today?