Sponsored by: Moser

What Have YOU Done To Your Truck Today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 11:00 PM
PapaBearYuma
Cargo Master

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
picked up my 460
Very cool...love my 460s. One nice thing about the 460 intake is that it has two water temp ports. You can use one for the factory sender and the other for an aftermarket mechanical gauge.

On my 351m, I run one off the front of the block

Old 05-22-2018, 04:28 AM
Lds79ford
Senior Master Technician

Received 48 Likes on 19 Posts
Didn’t know that about the duel possibilities of senders thanks

Old 05-22-2018, 02:35 PM
meangreen92
Logistics Pro
Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts
Lightbulb Utilized it without even putting it in gear!

Used it once again to fill up my lawn mower with gasoline, like a resourceful redneck:

Disconnect the fuel line at the carb, (PO used hose all the way from the pump) route fuel line hose into 3/8" copper pipe with a couple of elbows.
Then I stuck the other end of the copper pipe into my mower's fuel tank, and fired up the mighty 240! The engine runs on the fuel in the bowl, while the pump fills my mower from the truck's tank!!!

Shut off engine, reconnect fuel line, and restart truck's engine and let it run for a few moments to refill the carburetor bowl!

Old 05-22-2018, 05:35 PM
User 32921
Tuned
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Not all today but over the course the last two weeks:

- got new door mirrors (LMC)
- replaced the door jamb switch
- got a new dome light assembly with clear lense and LED
- tow hitch recovery point (Rhino)
- windshield washer T
- ash tray cup holder
- rebuilt driveshaft & installed a new pinion seal
- Warn premium hubs

New mirror (LMC)

Tow hitch recovery point (Rhino)

Old 05-24-2018, 01:36 PM
Rediranch_too
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replaced steering gears-building York air compressor

I am almost done replacing the steering gears with Red Head replacement, but I screwed up the bleeding so have to do it the long way.

Next I'm following instructions to build out my York AC compressor into an air compressor. I need a compressor to power the front and rear lockers, air back up when finishing a trail, and of course to sound off my 18 wheeler air horn.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:41 AM
SlikWillie
Cargo Master
Received 588 Likes on 347 Posts
Originally Posted by Rediranch_too
I am almost done replacing the steering gears with Red Head replacement, but I screwed up the bleeding so have to do it the long way.

Next I'm following instructions to build out my York AC compressor into an air compressor. I need a compressor to power the front and rear lockers, air back up when finishing a trail, and of course to sound off my 18 wheeler air horn.
Are you starting a thread for this compressor and accessories? I really just want to see the air horn.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:01 PM
BeauF0RD
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got a new stant non-locking gas cap to replace my broken locking gas cap and went and filled up my gas tank. Sometimes the little things in life are enough to put a smile on your face. The truck is running good, my son and I even smoked the tire once.

Old 05-26-2018, 11:19 PM
fxef79
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hit the junkyard today, in the rain.

Pulled a bench seat from a '85 F150 that has a small tear on the side of the driver's side seat (where it constantly gets squished everytime you get in and out) but otherwise it's in good shape. Blue like the original seat. Hey - it's not great, but it's way better than the original that's got 6 or 7 long tears in it, and the driver's side sits about 3 inches lower than the rest. Daughter complete rejected all the fabric bench seats that we saw in various '90 - '95 trucks... she's a purist, I guess.

Also pulled off the door weatherstripping from the '85 - supposedly we can crimp it onto the '73. We'll see. Better than the weatherstripping that's literally hanging down on your head, if you don't hold it up as you shut the door.

Tomorrow I'll try to convince the wife to move her Challenger out of the carport (into the rain - "Alberto" is dropping 5-10 inches of rain on us in the next 2 days) so we have somewhere to work on swapping the seat rails between the two, and get this seat into Floyd ('73 F250 2wd).

Scanned around for some 3G alternators in the Taurus/Sable/Mustang section... didn't find anything with the right engine combination to have the right 3G alternator... well, did find a few, but those alternators were already gone.

Edit: It was the 2 year anniversary for this new junkyard. They were raffling off prizes, and everyone got to spin a wheel to get discounts off their parts that day - anywhere from 20% off to FREE. The old man in line in front of us was saying his wife was gonna be pissed he got all wet in the rain, and bought more car parts (he had a real nice complete door panel from some late model car - all the electrics intact). He spun a FREE, and got his stuff for nothing. That put a smile on his face. Daughter spun 30% off. We walked out for less than $30 total. When she pulled Floyd around to back him in for us to put the bench seat in the back, everyone was watching. I figured they were looking at the truck. That's when I realized her tank top was a bit, uh, "damp" from the rain. Just before we left, their marketing person stopped my daughter to ask if she would mind making a "testimonial" statement they could use on their marketing materials (website, facebook, whatever).

Old 05-27-2018, 12:32 AM
meangreen92
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by fxef79

I'd rather not have cloth seats in my truck as well. Was that donor truck really an '85? I was thinking that those slots for the seat-belts to pass through didn't show up till later.
And those door seals will be way the heck better than torn originals.

V6 Mustangs, from '94 up till whenever Ford changed the mounting scheme, are good 3G 140 amp donor candidates as well. I've got one on my '88 Mustang.

Old 05-27-2018, 12:36 AM
highoctane74
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cleaned up valve covers, timing cover, intake, etc. Everything was covered in oil from a leak. Replaced the bent pushrod, changed the stretched timing chain.
I used a couple coats of epoxy to try and seal the hole in my timing cover. Put a piece of metal samiched in between epoxy. Every cover I own on these 429/460's has a hole inside.
trying to figure out how to mount my mark VIII fan to my rad and extend the shroud.

Old 05-27-2018, 02:09 PM
fxef79
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by meangreen92
Was that donor truck really an '85? I was thinking that those slots for the seat-belts to pass through didn't show up till later.
That's what it said on the windshield... I didn't check the VIN, but it was definitely a 7th Gen Bricknose. So, had to be 80-86.

Now... I suppose there's a chance the seat itself was actually out of something newer. That would go along with the revelation we had when pulling the seat out of the '73 (more in next post).

Old 05-27-2018, 02:25 PM
fxef79
Mountain Pass
Revelation while putting the '85 seat into the '73. When we pulled out the old seat and turned it over to take the rails off to swap them onto the new seat, I noticed a sheet of Ford factory paperwork sandwiched between the seat bottom springs and the foam... paperwork for a 1977 F350!

So this wasn't even Floyd's original seat. Daughter feels much better now about swapping the seats, as she doesn't feel like she's taking away Floyd's originality. Did I mention she's a purist?

Some pics of old and new, and of the difference in rails (i'm holding the '85 rail). The new seat does have a tear on the side of the driver's seat, but I'm just going to get some clear vinyl repair tape and pull that together and tape it. Way better than the old seat!

By the way - cheap seat cover shown in the pics to demonstrate how it disintegrated from the sun, in only 12 months. Shredded and turned to powder. Sitting on it was like sitting on fiberglass insulation.
Was this product, from Amazon:
Amazon Amazon

Old 05-27-2018, 09:13 PM
wyrm73
Laughing Gas
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts
Had a good day at the JY. I was looking for parts for the wife's truck and just happened to wander by the only dentside in the yard. Quality, not quantity I always say. Saved another perfectly good cactus smasher from the crusher. Left feeling pretty pleased with myself to go clean it up and paint it for installation...and then

Got a call from a friend trying to help his parents clean up their property to sell. He found a pretty clean Warn winch bumper for me (just one small dent on the top plate that will be easy to fix). In their scrap pile no less! Always a good day when you get to choose between two awesome upgrades. I just wish I could use them both at the same time. Anyone want a cactus smasher?

Old 05-27-2018, 09:41 PM
meangreen92
Logistics Pro
Excellent scores!!!

Old 05-27-2018, 10:31 PM
brian1080
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Added some leds

Quick Reply: What Have YOU Done To Your Truck Today?