Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

What Have YOU Done To Your Truck Today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 02:44 AM
TheSterling
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did some initial sanding of all the rust and paint chips on the roof of my cab, primed it with rusty metal primer and installed some cab clearance lights

Old 03-19-2016, 12:45 PM
Cedarghost
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That about sums it up for now. Time to start rust cleanup on the rear frame.

Old 03-19-2016, 03:49 PM
axidjw
Elder User
Originally Posted by Cedarghost

That about sums it up for now. Time to start rust cleanup on the rear frame.

Thats about how mine looked too..lol
good luck.

Old 03-19-2016, 03:50 PM
axidjw
Elder User
installed new headliner and bits and pieces inside truck

Write up on my build thread..

Attached Images  
Old 03-19-2016, 06:24 PM
Cedarghost
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by axidjw
installed new headliner and bits and pieces inside truck

Write up on my build thread..
Looks good. I have to check out your right up. I still need to do mine. This gas tank and the frame in the back of the truck kicked my butt today. I got a bunch of the rust knocked off and ready to paint so I can hopefully get my gas tank back in there tomorrow.
Here's the finished gas tank. Looks like new .

Old 03-19-2016, 07:28 PM
Niwrek
Senior User
Name:  20160319_142551.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  1.83 MB
Got my bumper from DC. Made my own brackets. Pretty happy with the results

Old 03-19-2016, 07:44 PM
monkey-1
Laughing Gas
Received 98 Likes on 72 Posts
Made more progress on the brakes running all new Nicopp lines and replacing the rubber lines as well. Had some help in the shop too.

Then had to go to Oreilly's to get some parts. We had some decent help working at the local one, but now nothing but idiots.

Old 03-19-2016, 08:15 PM
Behemoth
Laughing Gas
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Managed to get the rear gas tank, left bank header, exhaust, front and rear drivelines, and transmission crossmember installed today............going to go die now.

Old 03-19-2016, 08:51 PM
axidjw
Elder User
Originally Posted by Cedarghost
Looks good. I have to check out your right up. I still need to do mine. This gas tank and the frame in the back of the truck kicked my butt today. I got a bunch of the rust knocked off and ready to paint so I can hopefully get my gas tank back in there tomorrow.
Here's the finished gas tank. Looks like new .

That tank looks brand new..great job

Old 03-19-2016, 08:52 PM
axidjw
Elder User
Originally Posted by Behemoth
Managed to get the rear gas tank, left bank header, exhaust, front and rear drivelines, and transmission crossmember installed today............going to go die now.
Holy crap..did you have a small army with you? That's an unbelievable amount of work for one day..great!!

Old 03-19-2016, 10:01 PM
mountain dewd
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Did a lot today! Replaced diff cover deal, changed fluid, got a new air filter element, new valve cover gaskets, loomed up all the wires going to the back of the truck to back up the zip ties, and drove it all over town! Also, just sorted out my dying when hot symptom, turned out to be a condenser. Fixed and she runs great.

Old 03-19-2016, 10:07 PM
Behemoth
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by axidjw
Holy crap..did you have a small army with you? That's an unbelievable amount of work for one day..great!!
Nope......only army was the voices in my head......Luckily, Buford sits high enough off the ground that I could scoot from one end to the other underneath. Once I got the gas tank installed (3 times, because I kept screwing it up, and kinking the fuel line), I moved forward to the engine, and started putting in header bolts. I was at least smart enough before I tore it all apart, to use zip ties to hold the header in relative position, so I could bolt it back up by myself. Once I got the bolts in, and put the stage 8 locks on them, I then connected the exhaust to the headers loosely, and then jacked the exhaust up from the rear, and bolted it into position at its three points. Once all that was tightened up, I then installed the front and rear drivelines, which other than being a little unwieldy, are pretty easy to install. Lastly, I put the trans cross member into position, got all the bolts started, then tightened everything up.

Yeah, I'm definitely worn out, but I've found that if I try to work smarter, instead of harder, I tend to get things done without so much drama. So, after I went to O'Reilly's for a case of oil and tranny fluid, I grabbed a pizza, have had a handful of Advil, and I'll be in a happy little coma in about an hour or two. Hopefully, I can get Buford fired up tomorrow, and start the cleaning/polishing/waxing process, which should take a few days. If all goes well, I should have everything put together in time for my trip to California next month. If I manage to think about it, i'll try to post some pictures before I make the trip...........well, and during the trip too. Ok, I'm off to keel over.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:21 AM
aqqus
5th Wheeling
He's home

Well, yesterday I got my truck home. I had friday off so after some errands and chores I went over and finally got the title. It turns out I bought it from the original owners. I even have the original owners manual, warranty card and some other original paperwork dated June 15-16, 1976.

The truck, Rusty, had been sitting across town and i had been tinkering on him for a couple weeks. I re-rigged my temporary fuel tank, primed and filled the carb with my mustard bottle, hit the key and we had life again. Tried to change the fuel filter but couldn't get the cover off. It turned tighter instead. The coolant bypass hose between the water pump and the intake was swelling like a balloon so i changed that little @#%$. I then removed bleeders and started cleaning them and letting the nasty brake fluid run out. The bleeder on the right front caliper broke off. with my wife's help we got the brakes bleed enough to get Rusty home. Along the way I discovered the steering problem. The rag joint is shot and the power steering fluid is now between points A and B. (Maybe he was leaving a trail to go back.) The master cylinder failed too. I expected that.

This morning it is chilly, about 10 degrees. I gave Rusty 4 pumps of the throttle, hit the key and he rumbled to life. The key was still to turn. I don't remember how to get the cylinder out. I know it has to do with position and that little hole. Does anybody know?

Old 03-20-2016, 08:34 AM
Behemoth
Laughing Gas
If I recall, you need a large paper clip that you straighten out, so that you can push it into the hole. The hole has a release button in it, so as you press it inward, I think you turn it left to back it out (I could be wrong on direction, but I think that's it). Anyway, between pushing the release with the paper clip and turning the cylinder with the key, it should come out. It's kinda like removing the headlight switch **** with the release button......it never works on the first try, but if you fiddle with it, it'll pop out.

Old 03-20-2016, 02:08 PM
aqqus
5th Wheeling
Ok, I will try it. It's been a while since i did one.

Quick Reply: What Have YOU Done To Your Truck Today?