Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bent frame

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 02:04 PM
jdcii
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bent frame

My son hit a tree yesterday resulting in this damage...

The frame looks bent at the arrow...

In your opinion can we either beat this frame back, thru the use of heat and force? Cut this piece off and replace it with channel or even square tube? or should I look for another frame? Other than the frame, it looks like the bumper, hood and grille. No engine damage. What's your opinion?

Old 02-16-2010, 02:12 PM
skyfox10
Posting Guru
I suppose it depends on how badly the frame is bent. The other thing is that, whenever I have contact that bad, I think it is wise to put it on a frame machine to make sure the rest of the frame isn't tweaked.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:14 PM
White 97 xlt
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by skyfox10
I suppose it depends on how badly the frame is bent. The other thing is that, whenever I have contact that bad, I think it is wise to put it on a frame machine to make sure the rest of the frame isn't tweaked.

X2 better safe than sorry...

Old 02-16-2010, 03:09 PM
rockin300
Post Fiend
X3 or if you can find a good fame 4x2 or 4x4 for a cheap price take it father son projects are great

Old 02-16-2010, 03:11 PM
pete17c
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if it's drivable (may need to tweak front bumper w/ a jack (or remove it)) .. have a body shop give you an estimate (usually free) and see (like others have said) if the rest of the frame hasn't been twisted .. also check that the hit it took wasn't enough to mis-align the axles .. I always have to laugh when I see a truck going down the road off axis, kinda slanted like (you know .. when going straight, the back doesn't track in the same line as the front) .. make sure the radiator is OK before driving it ..

Old 02-16-2010, 05:02 PM
jdcii
New User
Thanks guys. I think I found a 91 truck for 500 it has the same engine (doesn't run), automatic transmission, and is only 2wd. I have to research it more, but I think I can swap everything onto this frame. Since he is only 16 I figure this is a great learning experience (he bought the original truck and will end up paying for the other one) and he'll know this truck inside out and will be able to fix most everything on it. Plus, I think he'll appreciate it more and the truck will really be his baby. It will be quite an undertaking but in the end well worth it. I hope. lol.
With the left over components I can either scrap them or sell them. Might end up re-cooping the cost of the other truck.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:56 PM
rockin300
Post Fiend
Is your son a member of this site

Old 02-16-2010, 05:58 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by jdcii
Thanks guys. I think I found a 91 truck for 500 it has the same engine (doesn't run), automatic transmission, and is only 2wd. I have to research it more, but I think I can swap everything onto this frame. Since he is only 16 I figure this is a great learning experience (he bought the original truck and will end up paying for the other one) and he'll know this truck inside out and will be able to fix most everything on it. Plus, I think he'll appreciate it more and the truck will really be his baby. It will be quite an undertaking but in the end well worth it. I hope. lol.
With the left over components I can either scrap them or sell them. Might end up re-cooping the cost of the other truck.
Sounds like a really good plan. I hope your and your son stick around FTE. You will both learn a lot!

Old 02-16-2010, 06:25 PM
pete17c
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jdcii
Since he is only 16 I figure this is a great learning experience (he bought the original truck and will end up paying for the other one) and he'll know this truck inside out and will be able to fix most everything on it.
He'll learn not to hit a tree with the truck after doing all that work on it .. LOL

Was some goods times many years ago, working with and learning from my Dad .. good skills learned that I use all the time .. but the funny things like hearing dad go O'F*c*, then the raised brow and tilted look, checking to see if I heard him, even though he yelled it, and both of us smiling, are even more cherished ..

Old 02-16-2010, 06:51 PM
jdcii
New User
Originally Posted by rockin300
Is your son a member of this site
Yes, he is Bocephusjr89F-150

Old 02-16-2010, 07:11 PM
rockin300
Post Fiend
Ah i was talking to him last night about his truck

Old 02-16-2010, 07:38 PM
skyfox10
Posting Guru
Oh yeah, in the "Show Off" forum.

I totaled my truck in the way to school in 07, uprooted a full grown apple tree, then broke limbs from the 2nd, and the 3rd one finally stopped me. That was one of the worst feelings when I got out and looked at the wreckage..

Old 02-16-2010, 07:47 PM
jdcii
New User
Originally Posted by skyfox10
Oh yeah, in the "Show Off" forum.

I totaled my truck in the way to school in 07, uprooted a full grown apple tree, then broke limbs from the 2nd, and the 3rd one finally stopped me. That was one of the worst feelings when I got out and looked at the wreckage..
I could only imagine. He bought the truck roughly 3 - 4 weeks ago and got his license this past Friday. We were out to eat and were getting hammered with snow and he and his buddy left about 5 minutes before the rest of the us. I said, make sure you put it in 4 high. He didn't hear me and needless to say, we rolled up to a pick up cocked into a tree. I walked up to him and he was completely upset. Told me the truck wouldn't start. Told him to hop in the car and I hopped into the truck and it turned right over, threw into 4 high and backed right out of the ditch and drove it home. Granted it was only a mile from the house. I was thankful he was ok and we were able to get out of there before any law enforcement decided to show (we live in the boonies, so it would have taken quite a while).

Old 02-16-2010, 08:05 PM
fordman1090
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hit a tree this summer. It was really muddy and i started sliding into a ditch while trying to turn around. My friend in the pass. seat was like "tree, Tree, TREEEEE!"(BUMP!!!) It only broke the corner light, and dented the fender behind it a tad.

Im taking it as an excuse to build a huge bumper with light hoops to make sure it doent happen again, and to kinda cover it up.

we all have assumed he was OK. Was he? Looks like it was a pretty decent hit, but nothing real serious. And luckily these truck do a good job or protecting occupants in wrecks.

He'll defiantly learn alot from it. 4x4 might have helped, if he knows how to take advantage of it.

Its all a learning experience.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:09 PM
jdcii
New User
Yes, he and his buddy were both ok. I'm not 100% sure because I know I was a kid once, but I don't believe he was doing more than 35. Another reason we drive the older fords.

Quick Reply: Bent frame