1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Ford Truck Maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 01:57 PM
93 mix 'n match
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if i were you, i wouldnt take it for that price. it needs way to much. IMHO you should be able to get that truck for around to 4-5k. i got mine for 2500 but its high mileage.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:40 PM
Joe Finn
Elder User
Originally Posted by walls
Test drove truck runs very good and 4x4 works. They told me they would'nt budge on price because they had to much into it and they could'nt fix anything. So i left and about 1/2 hour later he call and they made a mistake and i can have for $6500 out the door. The truck needs new exhaust from cats back and front stabalizer bushing and the brakes seamed a little weak you to me. One thing i was told is check engine light is on because of the cold air intake that was added and computer wont recognize it. 97 4.6 flareside exteded 4x4 with hard cover on box. What do you guys think, run away or haggle on price more. Thanks
RUN AWAY! That truck won't pass inspection in most states. I don't know of any CAI that will cause a CEL. That's a broken truck!

Old 02-16-2010, 05:05 PM
F250 LD
New User
I agree, keep looking. Have you tried cars.com or autotrader.com?

Old 02-16-2010, 07:02 PM
walls
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 93 mix 'n match
if i were you, i wouldnt take it for that price. it needs way to much. IMHO you should be able to get that truck for around to 4-5k. i got mine for 2500 but its high mileage.
If the truck in pic is what you paid 2500 i might look for higher mileage and save a bunch of money. I have seen a few on autotrader.com but they were about 100 miles from me. Would a crappy exhaust throw a check engine light? I may have a problem also on the way home we went through a lot that had a ford explorer 2002 awd three row seating. The wifes eyes got that look like wow i really like that. I just kept driving on. LOL If okay with you guys i'll ask your advice on some others i find. Thanks

Old 02-16-2010, 07:43 PM
fordmerc
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd say haggle a little more. At least get them to pay for the parts to fix what needs attention. By the way, you can get a 97-03 f150 with a stick with either the v6 or the 4.6 but not the 5.4.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:38 PM
walls
Freshman User
Originally Posted by fordmerc
I'd say haggle a little more. At least get them to pay for the parts to fix what needs attention. By the way, you can get a 97-03 f150 with a stick with either the v6 or the 4.6 but not the 5.4.
Thanks, just got done looking at autotrader again and found a place that has alot of trucks. Trouble is some are newer and cheaper and some are cheaper but more miles? The cheaper ones have a 4.2L and 2wd. I don't understand all the price differences, so i'll have to go look for myself.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:32 AM
93 mix 'n match
Posting Guru
If the truck in pic is what you paid 2500 i might look for higher mileage and save a bunch of money. I have seen a few on autotrader.com but they were about 100 miles from me. Would a crappy exhaust throw a check engine light? I may have a problem also on the way home we went through a lot that had a ford explorer 2002 awd three row seating. The wifes eyes got that look like wow i really like that. I just kept driving on. LOL If okay with you guys i'll ask your advice on some others i find. Thanks
yes, the truck in the pic is the 97. the problem with high mileage cars is that you get them at the time when things start to go. ya i got mine for cheap, but it needs o2 sensors, power steering pump, and now complete rear brakes. not just pads, but drums and actuators to. its a gamble. but buying any car is lol.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:36 PM
ag200401
New User
Too bad you wern't closer to MN. I have a 2002 F-150 FX4 Ext. Cab for sale 77,000 miles

Old 02-17-2010, 06:41 PM
walls
Freshman User
Yeah i agree that there is alway cost after purchasing used. I hope to find one with a great engine and trans. With as little miles as possibe. I don't mind brakes and bushings here and there but trying to avoid the problem my van has had. After two pontiac montanas i don't need anymore engine problems. Funny thing today i called dealer back and left message and let him know i'm not interested in truck anymore. When he called back and asked why i told him the truck only books for 6300 in excellent condition. And the truck needed some work done to it. I told him that it fit the price range i'm looking for but this truck won't work for me. Thats when he explained how the pricing works and i can't go by what it books for and how a lot goes into it. Like how much trade in they gave the guy before and so on. But over the years all dealers pull of nada or kelly blue book and tell me what my trade in value is and that the best they can do because of what the book says. I just find it funny. I'm 37 i'm not seasoned but i'm not a spring chicken either. Sorry this got long quick. I won't be able to get out till the weakend i'll let you know how it goes.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:09 AM
93 mix 'n match
Posting Guru
Yeah i agree that there is alway cost after purchasing used. I hope to find one with a great engine and trans. With as little miles as possibe. I don't mind brakes and bushings here and there but trying to avoid the problem my van has had. After two pontiac montanas i don't need anymore engine problems. Funny thing today i called dealer back and left message and let him know i'm not interested in truck anymore. When he called back and asked why i told him the truck only books for 6300 in excellent condition. And the truck needed some work done to it. I told him that it fit the price range i'm looking for but this truck won't work for me. Thats when he explained how the pricing works and i can't go by what it books for and how a lot goes into it. Like how much trade in they gave the guy before and so on. But over the years all dealers pull of nada or kelly blue book and tell me what my trade in value is and that the best they can do because of what the book says. I just find it funny. I'm 37 i'm not seasoned but i'm not a spring chicken either. Sorry this got long quick. I won't be able to get out till the weakend i'll let you know how it goes.
thats BS! that towbin dodge place out west where they did that king of cars uses kelly blue book as a baseline price. and most of their cars are used.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:05 PM
walls
Freshman User
I remember when i just got married we went to look at a new buick century and the sales guy pushes a peice of paper with a price. I ask if i don't buy today is this price good tomorrow. He said one day sale price only. I get up and tell my wife let's go. He starts stumbling saying a bunch of bull. We kept going and never went back. 14 years and 8 cars later they got none of my buisness. I must be a throw back to the older days i'd rather make a trade deal where both side are happy. Craigslist is a great way to deal. Now i need a family car, or truck so it's not that easy. I need to cough up more money and get a better ride. So my wife and kids don't get embarrassed at the school parking lot. lol

Old 02-20-2010, 05:55 PM
walls
Freshman User
Hey guys, went out looking today and no luck with the trucks. I did test drive an expedition that rode and drove really nice. The wife was driving around town and it started making bad sounds. I'ts about a half hour drive back to the dealer and i think it was the overdrive, because i turned it off and i got all the power back and the noise went away. Now it had the bigger v8, 5.3L i think and really had nice power over the 4.6L. Nowmy search is on for the F-150 5.3L. I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 02-20-2010, 06:26 PM
redwood
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's a 5.4L. That problem sounded like a coil getting ready to go. The 5.4L will be much better in the 4wd in the power dept.

My truck has 250k on it. Put a motor in about 1000 miles ago. Bought it cheap with the blown motor in it from a kid who dogged the snot out of it and never maintained it. And yet the entire drivetrain is still tight. He just finally managed to get the best of the motor....

I'm a firm believer in the F series trucks and the Expy's. Just don't get upside down in it if you can....

Old 02-20-2010, 11:55 PM
walls
Freshman User
5.4L I don't know the power HP difference over the 4.6L But it must be quiet a bit. Maybe the torque got a big boost. Either way i would now like to test drive a F-150 with the 5.4L. One question for you guys. Msn auto gives reviews and i was wondering how accurate the information was? Thanks

Old 02-20-2010, 11:58 PM
redwood
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know the hp/torque ratings on the 4.6, but the 5.4 for my 02 model is rated 260 hp / 350 lb ft of torque....

Quick Reply: Ford Truck Maybe?