Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Dynatrac installation tips/tricks

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 09:20 PM
Waltdog
of American machinists

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Dynatrac installation tips/tricks

All my parts are here so I will be installing a dynatrac soon. Looking for any tips from folks that have done this. Any help or feedback is great!

This is my list of parts

Dynatrac free spin kit with Warn premiums.
New "X" code heavy service springs from Deaver suspension w/ new u-bolts
Powerslots (cryoed) and Hawk LTS's
Stainless brake line kit from SDHQ
New OEM ABS sensors courtesy of ED
New Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs (325/65 R18)E

Old 02-13-2010, 09:34 PM
worm5932
Senior User
unbolt, remove, reinstall, torque to specs!! good luck!!

Old 02-13-2010, 09:46 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Sorry Walt. I have no experience with the Dynatrac. Hell, I came to this thread hoping you were giving out tips/tricks.

Do a Write-UP with Pics.

You got allot of good stff. Christmas in February. Cool.

Edit : Found this Dynatrac Front Hub Conversion

Old 02-13-2010, 10:23 PM
worm5932
Senior User
that first post sounded rude...wasnt meant to be! i work on huge comercial hvac equitment and i disassemble stuff ive never seen before every day. dont be intimitated be confident. just fix it!!

Old 02-13-2010, 11:06 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by worm5932
that first post sounded rude...wasnt meant to be! i work on huge comercial hvac equitment and i disassemble stuff ive never seen before every day. dont be intimitated be confident. just fix it!!
Didn't sound rude to me. But it was very succinct.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:12 PM
USAF CCM
Elder User
I installed this kit minus the new front springs you have. Install was straight forward.....MY BEST TIP IS: read the instructions all the way through before starting, and refer to them often!

I followed Guzzle's front brake instructions and also installed the new pins in the caliper.

Having a bearing greaser helped a lot. You've spent some good money there.....do the research and find the best grease suited for you. I went with Schaeffers Moly 221.

Did you get new u-joints for the front axles? I really packed in the grease in the hubs before I installed the back dust seal; this really helps keep water out. I mean I REALLY PACKED the grease in the hub!

When installing the small snap ring on the outer tip of the short axle, be prepared to have to use a crow bar on the back side (between knuckle & u-joints) to pull axle outward, thus providing enough space to install that snap ring.

Be careful when removed the ABS sensor from each hub.....I accidentally snapped one.....another $130 later I was good-to-go.

If you don't have an axle nut socket with 4 to 6 prongs or tabs to match the nut you got with the kit, I say get one from an auto parts store that sells tools.

I also didn't worry about removing and reusing the four studs from each hub. Eight new studs weren't expensive at all, I got them and the new caliper pins at the same time.

It's been 1.5 years since my install, so I'm afraid that's all I can remember. Keep us informed as to your progress. I have photos, but haven't taken the time to download. Best of Success! I think you'll like the kit.....I love mine.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:36 AM
Layson
Posting Guru
Pressing out the Ujoints in the stub shafts was the hardest part. otherwise it is a piece of cake..

Old 02-14-2010, 09:49 AM
Waltdog
of American machinists

Originally Posted by PaysonPSD
Sorry Walt. I have no experience with the Dynatrac. Hell, I came to this thread hoping you were giving out tips/tricks.

Do a Write-UP with Pics.

You got allot of good stff. Christmas in February. Cool.

Edit : Found this Dynatrac Front Hub Conversion

Thanks for the link!
Tried to rep you but the police have me in time out

Old 02-14-2010, 10:00 AM
Waltdog
of American machinists

Originally Posted by USAF CCM
I installed this kit minus the new front springs you have. Install was straight forward.....MY BEST TIP IS: read the instructions all the way through before starting, and refer to them often!

I followed Guzzle's front brake instructions and also installed the new pins in the caliper.

Thats a good idea, I am going to have the calipers off anyways, might as well get the new pins. What type of grease do I use on the pins?

Having a bearing greaser helped a lot. You've spent some good money there.....do the research and find the best grease suited for you. I went with Schaeffers Moly 221.

Ill look into a bearing greaser, Ive got some Shaeffers 274, ill check the 221 out.

Did you get new u-joints for the front axles? I really packed in the grease in the hubs before I installed the back dust seal; this really helps keep water out. I mean I REALLY PACKED the grease in the hub!

U joints are less then a year old form my ball joint got,hoping to re-use them.

When installing the small snap ring on the outer tip of the short axle, be prepared to have to use a crow bar on the back side (between knuckle & u-joints) to pull axle outward, thus providing enough space to install that snap ring.

Be careful when removed the ABS sensor from each hub.....I accidentally snapped one.....another $130 later I was good-to-go.

See OP, 2 new sensors.

If you don't have an axle nut socket with 4 to 6 prongs or tabs to match the nut you got with the kit, I say get one from an auto parts store that sells tools.

I bought the socket from a Matco tool truck.

I also didn't worry about removing and reusing the four studs from each hub. Eight new studs weren't expensive at all, I got them and the new caliper pins at the same time.

It's been 1.5 years since my install, so I'm afraid that's all I can remember. Keep us informed as to your progress. I have photos, but haven't taken the time to download. Best of Success! I think you'll like the kit.....I love mine.

Thanks for the info ,replies to questions above in blue.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:47 AM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Waltdog
Thanks for the link!
Tried to rep you but the police have me in time out
My pleasure. Used Google and search string Dynatrac site:ford-trucks.com/forums Just replace Dynatrac with what you are searching for. Works better then the Forum search tool.

Reps unnecessary, but thanks for trying.