6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

VC-9 Coolant system cleaner procedure...

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 08:23 PM
6litrefan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VC-9 Coolant system cleaner procedure...

Hey guy's could somebody post for me a detailed description of what is involved with running the VC-9 coolant system cleaner from motorcraft...or do I just put 2 quarts in and fill the rest with water and drive for an hour????

Thank you!

Old 02-03-2010, 08:57 PM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Read this

Beachbumcook 6.0L Coolant Flush Procedure
With The Addition of VC-9 Engine Cooling System Iron Cleaner and 69cj Thermostat Removal Option

BBC does it every 50,000 miles just because it is fun to do and he is **** about maintenance. PLEASE NOTE THE MIN LEVEL ON THE DEGAS BOTTLE IS NOW THE NEW FULL LEVEL.

1) Buy Four (4) gallons of Ford Premium Gold Coolant (or Zerex G05), Two (2) bottles of VC-9 and one (1) Thermostat O-ring (if removing T-stat) at dealer.

2) Buy 15-18 gallons of DISTILLER WATER at local grocery store.

3) Open Radiator Stopcock and/or Drop lower radiator hose until radiator is empty.

4) Close stopcock and/or reconnect hose.

5) Add 2 bottles of VC-9 to degas bottle (The VC-9 is in the Ford procedure for flushing prior to water flush and new coolant). Add distilled water until the degas bottle is at MIN. Go for a 20 to 30 mile drive. Drain system, then proceed either with or without Thermostat.

Thermostat Removal Option: (Thank you 69cj)
A) Pull air cleaner assembly.
B) Drain coolant (See step 3 above).
C) Remove upper radiator hose.
D) Remove 2 nuts on t-stat housing.
E) Lift and move press sensor bracket to the side. Not a lot of play in it but it will move.
F) Remove 2 more nuts on t-stat housing.
G) Remove housing. It will lift right off of the studs.
H) Reverse procedure to re-install. Use a new O ring (5 bucks at dealer). I used Vaseline to hold the O ring in place.

6) Add distilled water to degas bottle until it reads MIN.

7) Drive vehicle with heater on HIGH (HOT) until temp gauge goes to normal and thermostat opens (Excursion owners Do Not Forget Rear Heater). If thermostat is removed just idle for 5 minutes gently varying idle rpm’s between 750 and 1500.

8) Repeat steps #3 through #5 no less than 4 or 5 times until drain water is clear.

9) You now have 100% distilled water in your system.

10) Drop lower hose 1 last time, drain and reconnect. Reinstall Thermostat if removed earlier.

11) Look in manual to verify your system capacity (27.5 quarts) and add 3½ gallons of FULL STRENGTH Ford Premium Gold (or Zerex G05) coolant into your degas bottle.

12) Start motor and add distilled water to bring system level to not exceed the MIN Mark on degas bottle. PLEASE NOTE THE MIN LEVEL ON THE DEGAS BOTTLE IS NOW THE NEW FULL LEVEL.

13) Drive truck around to open thermostat and let cool once or twice to purge any air. May need to add more distilled water (don't add more coolant)... but when done you have flushed your entire system and have a perfect 50/50% concentration of coolant and distilled water.

If anyone would like this as a Word Doc let me know.

Thanks to Beachbumcook

Old 02-04-2010, 07:47 AM
desertt5
Senior User
Just want to make sure that as long as the engine is runinng, you can add water before the engine cools down. IOW, the water does not go directly to the heads from the degas bottle when running. Just replaced a head in a Pontiac cause someone ( My son )filled it while hot with it shut off.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:03 AM
03-6L-X
Elder User
Originally Posted by 6litrefan
Hey guy's could somebody post for me a detailed description of what is involved with running the VC-9 coolant system cleaner from motorcraft...or do I just put 2 quarts in and fill the rest with water and drive for an hour????

Thank you!
Just make sure that when you are driving with the VC-9 that it is NOT CITY DRIVING.

For more input go to the blue bar above go to search and type in "Coolant Change 101". Have fun.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:46 PM
6litrefan
Senior User
Desertt5, so what your saying is that i should leave the engine running even in between draining and refilling??? So when i drain and fill with new clean distilled water with the engine off, it will cause the heads to crack???

Old 02-04-2010, 10:35 PM
desertt5
Senior User
Desertt5, so what your saying is that i should leave the engine running even in between draining and refilling??? So when i drain and fill with new clean distilled water with the engine off, it will cause the heads to crack???
No, sorry for the confusion. Reread my post and obviously was still asleep.

You want to turn OFF the engine when draining. Make sure the engine is ON when filling.

Unless someone knows any different.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:06 PM
03-6L-X
Elder User
Originally Posted by desertt5
No, sorry for the confusion. Reread my post and obviously was still asleep.

You want to turn OFF the engine when draining. Make sure the engine is ON when filling.

Unless someone knows any different.

Don't try to reinvent the wheel. Read some of the previous posts here or go to "Coolant Change 101", read the instructions (WIDRTIS) on how to do with or without the T-stat in, with or without VC-9. This is not a 60 minute job (WBTYM). It will take you 4 to 8 hours to do it correctly. So have a while you do it.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:56 PM
6litrefan
Senior User
Hey guy's.

so desertt5...you say drain the engine when off and refill when on....so I can start the engine with no coolant, water nothing?...and it will not harm it?...while im refilling?...I mean im assuming that in the short time it is running with no coolant in it that it will not harm anything but just wanna make sure i get it right guy's...Don't wanna burn the motor up....

to make it clear what im asking here...Is it ok to start the engine dry (no coolant) and run it for 5 mins or so or whatever time it takes for me to refill with water or coolant...with no ill affects to engine?

Old 02-07-2010, 08:09 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,527 Likes on 1,757 Posts
to make it clear what im asking here...Is it ok to start the engine dry (no coolant) and run it for 5 mins or so or whatever time it takes for me to refill with water or coolant...with no ill affects to engine?
It is not OK IMO. Fill it w/ the engine off and cooled down. Start the engine and add coolant to top it off while running - if you want. Or - shut it down and let it cool and then top it off.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:35 AM
6litrefan
Senior User
Thanks for the reply Bismic, so what you would do is shut engine off wait for engine to cool..drain...refill to min mark in degas bottle..then restart and let idle up in driveway for 5 mins (if t-stat is removed)......then repeat...so how long on average would you say i will have to wait for this cool down...1 hour?..If so this will be an all day event..lol

Old 02-08-2010, 08:48 AM
03-6L-X
Elder User
Thanks for the reply Bismic, so what you would do is shut engine off wait for engine to cool..drain...refill to min mark in degas bottle..then restart and let idle up in driveway for 5 mins (if t-stat is removed)......then repeat...so how long on average would you say i will have to wait for this cool down...1 hour?..If so this will be an all day event..lol
YOu cannot idle idle, it needs to be at a high idle speed. The instructions tell you what to do .