1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

remote start 2010 f250

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 10:50 PM
2010-f-250
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
remote start 2010 f250

any recommendations. the stealer says that since I already bought the truck that it would cost alot for them to put one on for me. i fugured it would be a cheap mod for a stealership to do on a new truck. i guess is shouldnt be too surprised. thoughts? thanks.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:01 PM
03silverTJ
Senior User
Funny you should post this... I just went through this with my truck, my thought was that it would be easy for them to do this. Turns out it is apparently not and the dealer wanted big bucks even though the parts were only $250.

I ended up going with Vipers 5902 alarm and remote start, I also got the module so the system is compatible with the Iphone.

Not sure where you are but I am in the Tampa area and went to a place here to have it installed price was around $1k installed.

I will tell you this, the place I had it done at, my truck was the first diesel 2010 that they did. They had issues with the module the memorizes the factory key's signal that is sends to the ignition so the truck can start. Basically when the truck sat overnight the module "forgot" the signal and the remote start feature would not work. Today was the third time I had the truck in there shop to try and fix the issue, and they have installed a new module (different type than the first one). Tomorrow morning I will be bale to tell you if it has worked. If it does not there is another way they can do it but you loose one of your factory keys.

Other than that issue I am very happy with the alarm and remote. It has a ton of features and extras and the two way communication with the truck is amazing, not to mention with the iphone app the unlimited range I have now!!! If you don't have an iphone viper is releasing the app for other phones as well in a few weeks.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Old 02-02-2010, 08:22 PM
caninelver
New User
I bought an 09 f250 with 5.4 a couple months ago. The dealer wanted close to 1k to install a remote start and $700 to do a spray on bed liner. I laughed at them and was leaving when I saw another f250 being parked by one of the mechanics. He got out and started peeling off a sticker on the back window that advertised a bed liner store right across the street. I went across the street and talked to the owner. He said he does all their bed liners for $300 and the dealer charges the customer $700. I asked about the remote start and it was the same deal. He got my business. Look around, the dealerships have no ethics.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:49 PM
ehchvac
Senior User
Given the amount of vehicles I have had where the remote starts have gone bad or caused some other problem, all of them get installed at the dealer regardless of price.
Had one go bad that caused other problems because of how it was installed and the dealer told me to get bent.
The next vehicle had the remote start go bad and the dealer said not our problem, then I whipped out the dealer receipt for the install and he had nothing to say other than they would fix it and they did.
All I know is the trucks come with warranties and I am not going to have a dealer tell me my remote start caused a problem with the trucks electronics and they are not going to fix it to save a couple of bucks on a remote install.
But the last install was $495.00 for a 09 f250.

Last edited by ehchvac; 02-02-2010 at 08:57 PM. Reason: because I can
Old 02-02-2010, 10:15 PM
Doug574
New User
Ford System 200

I purchased a new 2009 F250 S/D Diesel back in July. Considering I am in the mid-west I wanted remote start for the winters. I purchased the following parts from my selling dealership. 7L3Z*19G364*AA Remote start kit I believe its a system 200 and 8L3Z*19G365*BA kit for ignition I paid 26.64 for the ignition kit and 247.00 for remote start kit. kit comes with (2) new 4 button remotes. Dealer said this could not be installed on my truck but I found out otherwise. I had the install done @ Chicago parts and sound. Factory authorized install center so everything is covered under my Ford warr. They hooked up the remote start including a time delay for glow plugs, that used one button on remote, then hooked up heated seats to another button, finally connected entry lights to last button. total cost of install was 300.00 and was done in 4 hours. system has worked flawlessly since day one. Being a former technician i was a little concerned about the install but looking under the dash everything still looks factory. Hope this helps.....

Old 02-03-2010, 05:50 PM
Firekite
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Doug574 is the only one here who said what engine he's had it installed for. I'd really like to do it for my '07 6.0L PSD, but I've heard people say you can't do it for diesels because of the glow plug wait. However, it sounds like Doug found a place and/or a part that could do the job.

The other problem I have is that y'all are talking about 2009's and 2010's, whereas mine is the last year of the old body style, 2007. Is there really any difference?

03silverTJ, was yours a diesel?

PS My '06 red TJ crawler says hi

Old 02-03-2010, 06:14 PM
03silverTJ
Senior User
Firekite, yes mine is a diesel, there is a way to delay the start for the glow plugs.

I don't think you would have a problem at all with your 07, in fact it would probably be easier for something to be installed like this on your truck because the aftermarket has had time to develop more products.

And a Jeep wave back to you!

Like I said mine was the first diesel 2010 that this place did website:
Buzz-Off.com - About Us -||

There website is not very impressive but after dealing with them a few time trying to get the remote start figured out on my truck because of the encoded keys I can tell you that there customer service is top notch! The quality of there install is amazing! They warranty there install for the life of the vehicle, and Viper warranties there parts for a year. I wouldnt emagine that to many people have problims with alarm systems or remote start systems voiding warrenties. It was my Service Adviser who was the one who told me to look into aftermarket setups. Keep in mind you get what you pay for.

I am 100% satisfied! There are also other features that a neat to have especially with a diesel. If you don't have a engine block heater or don't have a place to plug in the truck, you can set up the remote start to start the truck when the temperature drops to a preset temp. It also works the other way, if it gets to hot it will start the truck. Then after a set amount of time it will shut the truck off.

P.S. The issue with my remote start was resolved, and the system works flawlessly!

Old 02-03-2010, 06:32 PM
02mudbug
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a friend who is the pemier installer of remote starters for MANY dealers here in Kansas City, and I help him out on my days off. The ford factory kit is actually made by audiovox, the parts for the bronze level kit which is the one button run about $225, and the ford dealers we put them on for normally charge $350. they also have a 6 button unit that has an alarm too, but that ones is a doozy to put on, it ties into about every circuit in the harness. Keep in mind, MOST of the remote starts that the accesory sales guy pushes will be put on by a vendor like me, instead of a tech in the garage, they have more profitable work to do in the shop, and would rather not mess with electronics that they arent used to. With that being said, even on 2010 trucks, the interface modual software has been out for a LONG time, I prefer DEI products, viper, python, and avital, pick a reputable shop and they can put on a sytem what will do everything but scratch your butt for the $500 range. 03silvertj, isnt that smartstart cool? if they are having issues with the bypass "remembering " your info, the bypass is bad, or they have something wrong, we have done several 10's and they dont just forget the transponder codes overnight.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:48 PM
03silverTJ
Senior User
Its funny you say that, but that is exactly what was happening the remote start would work fine all day then overnight it would not work because the module would forget/loose the code, I con only say what they were telling me though (I am no expert when it comes to this) I can say that I am very happy with the product that DEI put together. The place I had the work done ended up using a different module (different part number) and it is keeping the codes just fine overnight. I don't know the part numbers, but could find out if need be. The first one they were using they replaced 3 times until they swapped it out totally for the different one.

Yes the smartstart is amazing! And you are right this thing seriously does everything but scratch your butt!

Old 02-03-2010, 07:34 PM
Firekite
Posting Guru
Hmm...so right now I have the factory remote keyless entry deal. Is this all I need to get for a complete alarm system with the smart start? Or is it only the smart start, and you have to add it to another Viper alarm system? Or what?

Viper - Remote Start System with SmartStart (Basic Install Included) - Black - VSS4000

Old 02-03-2010, 07:57 PM
03silverTJ
Senior User
There are a couple things you could do.

1. If you want just remote start you can have that installed in the truck, then you will need the smartstart module added.

2. Or you could get the alarm/remote start system, but still need the smartstart module to be compatible with the iphone.

The link you posted was just a remote start with smartstart capability, that would be the same as option #1. That would not get you an alarm system. It would come with the remote start system and smart start module. Then anywhere your truck can receive cell tower signal you can start your truck, and if you had one of there alarm systems installed you could lock/unlock as well with your phone.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:19 PM
Firekite
Posting Guru
Ah, thanks. That's a **** ton of money...

Old 02-03-2010, 08:26 PM
02mudbug
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The smartstart also works with the ipod touch anywhere you have wifi signal if your not an iphone person. I put a high end python on my wifes stang and love it, its 2 way, so it will report back lots of stuff and will do all sorts of neat stuff that she doesn't even know about

Old 02-12-2010, 05:21 PM
billfumick
New User
Has anyone experienced the dealer saying that the warranty would be voided by installing aftermarket electroincs (remote starts)? Thats what my dealer said...

Thanks!!

Old 02-12-2010, 05:56 PM
rsbritt51
Junior User
bill, youre dealer's full of it. i bought a new flex back in may. had a remote start added. the dealer had not done one and DID NOT WANT TO DO IT. i insisted saying ford advertised it, ford made it and they were gonna put it in for me and they did for $500. this week i bought a new 350 KR and had one figured in with the deal. they explained they could but didnt want to do it and suggested to use an outside vendor that does their installs. i agreed to have the non ford system installed and they say it is warranted along with the 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty, not thru ford of course but for the same duration. and as it is all documented on the sales paperwork, should any problems arise from it, my dealer and or the installer is gonna make it right. my wife loves her flex starter and im looking forward to mine once i take delivery in a few days. they had to bring my truck in from over 1,000 miles away. i had to leave town just before it came in. now cant wait to get back home to it.

Quick Reply: remote start 2010 f250