6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Help Resolving Programmer ?s

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 11:18 PM
AndeyHall
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tex25025
Unfortunately no. The tunes that work on the SCT devices are in one file extension and the Phalanx is in another. They do have more people doing the tunes then just Matt, but it isn't as many as the SCT has. That's probably the biggest con to it if you like having different tunes from different people(which to a degree makes sense).
Ok, so if I was planning on going with the X3 and the DashDAQ as my monitoring device, then would I open myself up to the capability of having Spartan and SCT tunes since I'd have two devices capable of reading both formats? I feel like I'm Jerry and you're George and we're spending all this time trying to scheme our way into the "roommate switch" . But there's one last thing I'm confused about. Is Spartan's console the DashDAQ, and they just add the tuning license in with it?

Old 02-01-2010, 11:21 PM
AndeyHall
Posting Guru
And I just realized how much of a Seinfeld nerd I sound like after making that comment and having Kramer as my picture. But hey, what can I say when it is the greatest show ever.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:25 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AndeyHall
But there's one last thing I'm confused about. Is Spartan's console the DashDAQ, and they just add the tuning license in with it?

It's not just the license, but the software as well. The DashDAQ is/was not designed to be a tuner in the first place until Spartan teamed up with them. It is/was mainly a diag device. I don't know if you can add the software later or not though. I wouldn't see why you couldn't, but I don't know for sure.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:36 PM
AndeyHall
Posting Guru
It's not just the license, but the software as well. The DashDAQ is/was not designed to be a tuner in the first place until Spartan teamed up with them. It is/was mainly a diag device. I don't know if you can add the software later or not though. I wouldn't see why you couldn't, but I don't know for sure.
I hear ya. Definately something I can look into before I make my purchase. But I think I've gotten enough knowledge on the situation now where I can make my decision once I find out that last tidbit of info. Thanks for all the help Tex, you've been a huge help.

I was checking out all your mods and I'm definately jealous. I'd love to have some studs in my truck and a complete suncoast tranny would be awesome. Did you do your engine mods yourself or did you have it done?

Old 02-02-2010, 07:21 AM
ehgeeray
Senior User
That's what this thread was originally started for. I think we concluded that the SF3 is more like the Livewire because it comes with "canned" tunes and stores 3 custom tunes. But as Tex mentioned, the main downfall to the Livewire is that the module itself's power isn't very great and tends to die out. So what I have concluded from this thread mainly, is that based on the few extra parameters that the Livewire can monitor, it's not worth the price difference when you can get the X3 or SF3 and a digital monitoring system and not come out too much worse...if not better.
Thanks... I must have missed that when I was reading the post...

Old 02-02-2010, 07:45 AM
AndeyHall
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ehgeeray
Thanks... I must have missed that when I was reading the post...
No problem.

See there guys...it was a simple mistake and I simply helped him out without jumping all over him or mentioning the search feature. It can be done! (That's not to anyone posting in this thread, but there are guys in other threads that had rather jump all over you than help.)

Old 02-02-2010, 08:35 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Did you do your engine mods yourself or did you have it done?

I did some, the others I had done. I'm not ballsy enough to try things that are beyond my experience as I know that'll end up costing me more in the long run.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:50 AM
AndeyHall
Posting Guru
I did some, the others I had done. I'm not ballsy enough to try things that are beyond my experience as I know that'll end up costing me more in the long run.
I heard that. I guess I'm the same way...I would love to try out stuff boyond my experience level, I just know that if something goes wrong, I don't have the money to have it fixed. Like screwing up my guage on my harpoon mod, it took me several weeks just to get enough money for a new sending unit.

But I'm actually planning on applying for an internship with Ford either next year or the next. My ultimate goal is to get on board with them designing their engines (now that they do it themselves, or at least I hope it stays that way). My problem is, I aquired an interest in diesels so late (as opposed to a lot of guys who's dads were all about automotive stuff and grew up in it) that I have an extremely limited knowledge base on them. Actually, the extent of the knowledge I do have is only on the 6.0s. I've been trying to get in touch with Powerstroke Specialty in Buford, Georgia to find out if there's some sort of class they send their mechanics through to sort of give a crash course on powerstrokes or diesels in general.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:50 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
But I'm actually planning on applying for an internship with Ford either next year or the next. My ultimate goal is to get on board with them designing their engines (now that they do it themselves, or at least I hope it stays that way). My problem is, I aquired an interest in diesels so late (as opposed to a lot of guys who's dads were all about automotive stuff and grew up in it) that I have an extremely limited knowledge base on them. Actually, the extent of the knowledge I do have is only on the 6.0s. I've been trying to get in touch with Powerstroke Specialty in Buford, Georgia to find out if there's some sort of class they send their mechanics through to sort of give a crash course on powerstrokes or diesels in general.

As far as Powerstrokes go, the 6.0 is the limit of my knowledge as well. The first vehicle that I had(which was my grandfather's and he was the mechanical one, learned alot from him) was a 6.9. Because of that I have alot of fondness for the 6.9 despite what logic would dictate to "you". 7.3 I didn't keep really all that long to really go indepth with that engine. At one time I even had a 5.9, but I was way to busy with work that kept me from doing alot of hands on stuff with that. Although I didn't mod it beyond a muffler delete and an a/m radio. The 6.0 is were I went crazy with everything.

I guess the initial fear and time factor in with me not wanting to try to do alot of venturing out of my comfort zone. Although the FASS system was a new one for me and I did do that one, but I had set aside 2 whole days to do it, even though they said that the install takes about 6-8 hours. I wasn't taking any chances. I had one mistake(forgot to plug up the old return line), but all in all it has held up well.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:03 AM
AndeyHall
Posting Guru
As far as Powerstrokes go, the 6.0 is the limit of my knowledge as well. The first vehicle that I had(which was my grandfather's and he was the mechanical one, learned alot from him) was a 6.9. Because of that I have alot of fondness for the 6.9 despite what logic would dictate to "you". 7.3 I didn't keep really all that long to really go indepth with that engine. At one time I even had a 5.9, but I was way to busy with work that kept me from doing alot of hands on stuff with that. Although I didn't mod it beyond a muffler delete and an a/m radio. The 6.0 is were I went crazy with everything.

I guess the initial fear and time factor in with me not wanting to try to do alot of venturing out of my comfort zone. Although the FASS system was a new one for me and I did do that one, but I had set aside 2 whole days to do it, even though they said that the install takes about 6-8 hours. I wasn't taking any chances. I had one mistake(forgot to plug up the old return line), but all in all it has held up well.
Yeah, my time is definately pretty limited. Between work and school I have hardly any time at all to do the things I'd like to do on it. That's why I'd really like to get a job actually working on them.

I just hope with the way gov't things are going they don't take them off the consumer market and turn them into a strictly commercial type thing. Pretty soon diesel trucks are going to be like guns and ammo...buy all you can as soon as you can before they're gone!

Old 02-02-2010, 11:58 AM
AndeyHall
Posting Guru
And I just confirmed that if you want Spartan tunes, you have to get it through them. You can't just turn a DashDAQ into a Phalanx. Do you have the ford extended parameters on yours to display all of the extra parameters.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:47 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Do you have the ford extended parameters on yours to display all of the extra parameters.
Yes I do. Matt threw that in there due to my beta testing it for him.