Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Towing with a lifted truck...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 04:16 PM
ratt_finkel
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing with a lifted truck...

I'm looking at purchasing a 02-04 ish F250 4dr turbo diesel. Most of the examples I've looked at have about 100-150k on the clock. I've also found some in my price range with 3"-12" lifts on them.

This will be my 1st truck and primarily used as my dd. But will be towing a 5k lb trailer twice a month.

Question is, what should I lookout for and what if any complications are there in towing with a lifted truck. And what issues for this mileage. Please help enlighten a newbie!

Thanks!

Old 01-29-2010, 04:25 PM
Robert6401
Cargo Master

I would lean towads an unlifted truck if its going to be used mainly for towing. Or for any real towing for that matter. It can be done, but I have a leveling kit on my truck and run into problems. With the larger tires that go along with a lift, you are looking at less power for pulling the trailer. On flat ground it isnt as big of a deal, but any hills will kill you if the truck hasnt been regeared.

Of course I say all this and I'm talking about towing a heavy trailer, at 5k pounds you will most lilkely be just fine. It all really boils down to whether or not you are willing to spend money on power adders and the like to make it tow like you want it to. In general, small lifts below 6" won't cause too much trouble, but anything bigger than that and I wouldn't consider it for towing.

Since you are a newbie, I will tell you that most people will steer you away from the late 2003 and 2004 models that have the 6.0 motor. They had a lot of problems, so I would narrow your search down to 02-early03 with the 7.3.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:31 PM
Layson
Posting Guru
5k, you won't even know it is there....

I am sure you know this... but just pay attention to the quality of the lift kit. Cross over steering/traction blocks/ gearing... blah blah blah... all plays a role. It should ride good, mine rides as good as stock at 12.5" on 40's...

Old 01-29-2010, 04:31 PM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Towing with a lifted truck is stupid. Once lifted, the truck is no longer designed to serve it's purpose to haul. It will ruin your lift springs. Ever see a lifted truck w/o a trailer on it and the rear end looks a bit lower than the front? That's because they tow with it. The truck will handle like **** when towing. The front end will be looking at the sky with your rear end squatting. Then again, I see ruined, lifted diesels towing quite often here.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:34 PM
wolfrace
You like apples?
I have researched the same thing, I bought a 6" lifted f350 w. 36" Iroks. I run weight distribution hitch. I have seen up to 14" drop shanks.

I am taking me truck to town tommorrow to get it measured, to see what drop I need.

On the trailer side I have a new 30' Cougar X-lite, it already leaf over. If yours is not manybe you could do an axle swap.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:41 PM
Layson
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by mechelement
Towing with a lifted truck is stupid. Once lifted, the truck is no longer designed to serve it's purpose to haul. It will ruin your lift springs. Ever see a lifted truck w/o a trailer on it and the rear end looks a bit lower than the front? That's because they tow with it. The truck will handle like **** when towing. The front end will be looking at the sky with your rear end squatting. Then again, I see ruined, lifted diesels towing quite often here.

I am sorry, but if you build it right you can still tow just fine with it. You may not beable to pull a gooseneck.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:41 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I tow all the time with my truck. Even with the 6" lift, it pulls and handles better than all my other work trucks (all of which are stock suspension). I've had trailers in tow grossing 16K+ lbs.

As Layson said, pay attention to the quality of the lift kit. Good lifts that are properly installed can keep your truck driving and handling properly even with a load in tow. Get a lift that's been installed half-assed, and you're asking for a world of problems.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:42 PM
Layson
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by wolfrace
I have researched the same thing, I bought a 6" lifted f350 w. 36" Iroks. I run weight distribution hitch. I have seen up to 14" drop shanks.

I am taking me truck to town tommorrow to get it measured, to see what drop I need.

On the trailer side I have a new 30' Cougar X-lite, it already leaf over. If yours is not manybe you could do an axle swap.

If you want a real hitch, take a look at this one. Hopefully I will have one installed tomorrow.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:43 PM
wolfrace
You like apples?

Look up a weight distribution hitch is totally changes the maners of the truck keeping the truck level (or close to it)

Your leaf springs in most lifts are exactly the same, just have blocks.

A lifted truck has a higher center of gravity, don't think it will be the same as a stock truck, but is not stupid, and can be done quite easily. Probably the same people that hook up a 10,000 1,000 tongue because it says it on the hitch.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:45 PM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Oh yeah, blocks. Even better. When you lift a truck, you raise the COG as mentioned. Nothing like lifting up the truck on teeny rectangular blocks and tossing a load on it.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:46 PM
wolfrace
You like apples?
Originally Posted by Layson
If you want a real hitch, take a look at this one. Hopefully I will have one installed tomorrow.

Holy frig what is that I want one will it work weight distribution (I have the bars and chains) spill the beans and info LOL

Old 01-29-2010, 04:50 PM
Layson
Posting Guru
Hell yeah it should. You should see the truck he has it on at his shop. It is like 18 or 20" of lift, tows with it, I drove it and it drives 10x better then my truck... and it is on 46's ... LOL

Shoot Dave an email about the hitch. he should be able to answer your questions. hoppert@oneupoffroad.com

Oh and you can even order parts from One Up Offroad through Clay at Riffraff Diesel....

Old 01-29-2010, 04:52 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Oh yeah, blocks. Even better. When you lift a truck, you raise the COG as mentioned. Nothing like lifting up the truck on teeny rectangular blocks and tossing a load on it.
Ooops, I have blocks on the rear too.

Maybe you should ride in my truck while I'm towing to see what it can really do.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:55 PM
Layson
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Pocket
Ooops, I have blocks on the rear too.

Maybe you should ride in my truck while I'm towing to see what it can really do.
I don't think there is a truck out there that doesn't have rear blocks....

I have 5" blocks with 3/4" U-bolts on the rear torqued to like 220 ft-lbs... They are huge... LOL

Old 01-29-2010, 04:58 PM
Gagew90
Senior User
I understand the point that towing might be harder on a lifted truck but i've never had a problem i had a quality kit installed all springs no blocks and i started building the truck long before that exhaust intake injectors etc, with a 6 inch and 36's the most common thing i towed was a gooseneck trailer for my old boss the heaviest thing i towed was one of those triple axle dump truck trailers with my buddies cummins on it weighing about 13-14k im guessing like someone else said its just about getting a quality system thats not too big

Quick Reply: Towing with a lifted truck...