2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 4x4 reverse gear issue...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 11:31 PM
Knightrocker
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 2008 4x4 reverse gear issue...

my 2008 f-150 pauses when shifting to reverse ...example driving to my driveway, stopping, shifting to R ...it takes a few secs for it to get into gear before backing up....could there be something missing in the tranny gears or something??

Old 01-25-2010, 12:44 AM
tbear853
Lead Driver
Received 1,288 Likes on 1,089 Posts
Never get in a hurry with these late transmissions going from forwards to reverse or park to reverse. Let it apply before mashing the gas, a delay is normal so that people moving the lever slowly get through reverse on the way to park or drive. I've noticed it on Fords with 4R70Ws since my '98 CV and my '95 Bird purchased last year does it, as does my '01 and my last two work cars, a '00 and '06 CVPI.

I'm reasonably certain this bigger truck trans is set up to do same.

No one told me the reason, it just makes sense.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:40 PM
jdrahush
Senior User
My 2004 does the same thing, there is a slight delay when shifting into reverse. No big deal, just pay attention to what was said above: don't mash the gas until you feel that gear get into place or else you will make it a problem. I think there is a delay so when you shift through the gears from Park into Drive the transmission doesn't start shifting into reverse when you pass that little R.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:55 PM
Knightrocker
New User
Thank you for helping.

Originally Posted by tbear853
Never get in a hurry with these late transmissions going from forwards to reverse or park to reverse. Let it apply before mashing the gas, a delay is normal so that people moving the lever slowly get through reverse on the way to park or drive. I've noticed it on Fords with 4R70Ws since my '98 CV and my '965 purchased last year does it, as does my '01 and my last two work cars, a '00 and '06 CVPI.

I'm reasonably certain this bigger truck trans is set up to do same.

No one told me the reason, it just makes sense.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:56 PM
Knightrocker
New User
Thanks, I'll keep it in mind. I was asked about it by a friend and I had no idea why it did that. good to have helpful sites, and great people to help.

Originally Posted by jdrahush
My 2004 does the same thing, there is a slight delay when shifting into reverse. No big deal, just pay attention to what was said above: don't mash the gas until you feel that gear get into place or else you will make it a problem. I think there is a delay so when you shift through the gears from Park into Drive the transmission doesn't start shifting into reverse when you pass that little R.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:09 PM
lateb
New User
Most late transmissions do lag changing direction. However, the caveat I would add is, has the lag increased since the vehicle was purchased? Also, is there another truck that you can compare it to? I bought a 94 Caprice (LT1/4L60E) that was slow to engage reverse from the factory. Car had 9 miles on it when purchased. I was told it was normal but didn't notice that it was getting slightly worse as it aged. Reverse failed at 120,000. My trans guy told me it was caused by a valve body problem in that year. $1800.00 rebuild, no lag and tranny still fine at almost 250,000. Admittedly these are high mile problems, but considering this is the only major system failure in all these years and miles I have to suppose had I investigated further I may still be driving on the first trans. I would try to get an actual engagement time on it, if indeed it is taking seconds to engage, I would investigate it further. Another given for anything built in the last 20 years is that they are expensive to rebuild. Better to address a minor issue now than a premature full blown rebuild later. By the way, my 2004 S-Crew has very little lag, it doesn't exactly "follow" the shifter the way some of my performance trans did years back but it still is faster than my Caprice even after the rebuild.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:30 PM
Knightrocker
New User
I haven't noticed any increase in the lag between getting INTO gear, ..so far, ..but I'll keep that in mind, as it goes and keep an eye on it...

Originally Posted by lateb
Most late transmissions do lag changing direction. However, the caveat I would add is, has the lag increased since the vehicle was purchased? Also, is there another truck that you can compare it to? I bought a 94 Caprice (LT1/4L60E) that was slow to engage reverse from the factory. Car had 9 miles on it when purchased. I was told it was normal but didn't notice that it was getting slightly worse as it aged. Reverse failed at 120,000. My trans guy told me it was caused by a valve body problem in that year. $1800.00 rebuild, no lag and tranny still fine at almost 250,000. Admittedly these are high mile problems, but considering this is the only major system failure in all these years and miles I have to suppose had I investigated further I may still be driving on the first trans. I would try to get an actual engagement time on it, if indeed it is taking seconds to engage, I would investigate it further. Another given for anything built in the last 20 years is that they are expensive to rebuild. Better to address a minor issue now than a premature full blown rebuild later. By the way, my 2004 S-Crew has very little lag, it doesn't exactly "follow" the shifter the way some of my performance trans did years back but it still is faster than my Caprice even after the rebuild.