Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie Looking to buy an Excursion

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 10:45 PM
wallz
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Me, from the list that you showed, the 03 eddie bauer. Yes it has the 10, but for what I use it for and the lower miles, to me a no brainer. Yes it is the higher of them, but newer parts on it compared to the older ones.
Really tho, it is more the one that checks out mechanically and physically to be the better one. Many have the 00's with little problems.
I luv the 10, and it does for me all I ask of it. In the long run it is cheaper for me because we only put around 10-15 k miles a year on it, easy to maintain, and quiet.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:49 PM
nagetech
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting it checked while test driving seems like the logical thing. Though with my luck, all the mechanics in the area would probably be backed up or busy that day lol.

The 03 eddie bauer... I've actually contacted the dealer and requested pics of the truck..that one is in my scope right now!

Quick question, for you V10 owners... how loud is the engine? Just asking because I've driven 2, and they sounded...loud to me I'm use to driving either the 5.4 V8 in my expedition, or the v6 in the explorer. Just want to make sure I dont take Normal engine noise for a bad engine.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:55 PM
havdaddy
Junior User
The 10 isn't loud unless someone's played w/ the exhaust. Ours had some sort of turbo muffler put on it w/ dual tips out the back. That's one of the things I'm wanting to do. Banks headers, magna flow cats and exhaust. Maybe a cold air intake and if I hit the lottery, a 5-star tune for better mileage and more ponies to pull the camper.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:00 PM
BigRy
Elder User
I was gonna tell you that you wont find too many diesel excursions for the price you are looking for. These trucks it seems like people hold to on them. And when they do let go of them, the price is astronomical, then it comes down to supply and demand. Being these are in low supply. Good that you plan on settling for the V10, but if your not happy with it, they also have the Excursion's with the 5.4 Triton.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:05 PM
nagetech
Tuned
The 5.4's are a bit hard to find, and from what a Local Ford Mechanic suggested, the 5.4 wasn't "strong" enough for the Excursion. Also, the Fuel Economy on the excursion with the v8 was so abysmal that it would have made me cry.

Are there any other considerations I should be aware of with a V8 vs. a V10?

Old 01-24-2010, 11:07 PM
havdaddy
Junior User
I agree with wallz. The 03' eddie bauer reads good but i'd definitely get pictures and run the vin. BigRy is right. We were leaning towards a diesel, but people wanted an astronomical amout for them. There seems to be a lot of X's in Texas that look real good. One thing you could do is see if anyone on the forum is close enough to go look at it for you before you go out of state and get dissapointed. Just my 2 cents.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:10 PM
nagetech
Tuned
I feel like I'm just to much of a newbie to have someone go out of their way for me. But I mean if someone wants to help, I'd be more than happy to compensate them for their time! It would save me a LOT of foot work!

I do love the Diesel, but damn at 20k and such ...bit of a put off. I'm not planning on hauling or anything, so perhaps the diesel would be wasted on me...

Old 01-24-2010, 11:12 PM
wallz
Postmaster
You could try to find a mechanic locally and phone ahead and have them set aside some time, even see if the dealer is willing to take it there, or they are willing to go pick it up before the check up. Maybe even go down to the state forums and see if there is any one from your town on there to suggest a mechanic.
From my exp with the 10, mind you this is the first one, it is not loud until you drop the go pedal to WOT. The air that is drawn in is astronomical. Personally, I think the 8 is to small, but there are a few on here that have that setup and find it adequate, with little to minor gains in mpg over the 10.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:15 PM
nagetech
Tuned
I asked because I had driven a 2005 with a crap load of miles, and just going forty the cabin was full of noise. IT was weird to me. Truck felt like it idled fine, but accelerating sounded so painful I wanted to cry

The REAL deal breaker was when I was told that truck was used for Limo'ing people around and a loaner car. All I heard was "this truck was beat to ****"

Old 01-24-2010, 11:16 PM
havdaddy
Junior User
I don't think you'd be dissapointed by the 10. I've been surprised at how much I've come to like it. As far as I've seen, the guys on here are very helpful. So don't be afraid to ask. I'm gone, gotta get up in about 5 hours. Good luck with your hunt, I'll be looking for your post when you find "the one".

Old 01-24-2010, 11:18 PM
nagetech
Tuned
The wifey thinks I'm nuts being ok with 12MPG on highway on a good day, but somehow I can't help but think that is a small price to pay for the pride of driving one of those Beasts...... I mean nothing has been built since that was as commanding as the excursion...

In case you guys haven't noticed, I'm just a little bit obsessed with them.... I'll seek help in good time!

I just want to thank you all so far for your input....

Old 01-24-2010, 11:27 PM
wallz
Postmaster
Obsessed? That is why we are here. To learn about each others obsessions, so we can plan on what to upgrade next on these things, and there is a list nearly a mile long.(if only the funds would keep up.)
You should be able to get more that 12 on the hwy. I'm getting a regular 14-16, depending on how hard I push.(empty or loaded for holidays) It is the in town that is gonna hurt. But the small amount I put on in a year in town, I'm sitting average in the one tank a month range, so it not so bad.(even with the wife driving it everyday)

When I started looking for an X I spent many hours on here researching and getting opinions. When I finally found one to go look at, I didn't get a mechanical inspection, just what I did. I told the salesguy to go for a hike, and I would go and get him when I was done and wanted to go for a spin. I checked out everything that I could without any tools. So far no major issues and going on 2yrs now.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:32 PM
nagetech
Tuned
What I'm most concerned about is underbody issues. Make sure the frame is straight, no accidents that have been covered up, etc etc. I know I can check the basic dumb things like Oil, tranny fluid, p-steering fluid, antifreeze, etc. What I cant check on my own are the little things that could kick my butt later. CV boots, ball joints, tie rods, differential fluids, etc. I don't trust dealerships, I'd rather have a mechanic that has nothing to gain from lieing to me check it out and let me know it is A-OK. The only dealership I trust Is Tom's ford here in keyport. If they say the car is good, their word is gold to me.

Gotta see if I can find someone to head to that Nissan dealer and do a preliminary look at the car for me.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:38 AM
BigRy
Elder User
Thats real good. Dont spend too much time on the mileage per gallon. I drive my diesel Ex hard, therefore I only get about 13 mpg. Not much more then the V10. I think I need a FICM reflash personally, but like I said, I do drive it hard.