"check break system" - Page 4 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

"check break system"

Old 08-26-2011, 10:18 AM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by spunout View Post
A few weeks ago started getting the "Check Brake System" and the other day came out to start truck and dead. Had batteries checked and one was bad the other said charge. Replaced 1 battery in hopes of getting by for a little while without having to replace the other. Went to start truck this morning and guess what...Dead! So now Im going to get the other replaced and probably need to have alternator checked as well.
Very seldom can you get away with just one battery replaced. Good idea to check the whole charging system.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:50 AM
spunout
Senior User
spunout is starting off with a positive reputation.
I was doing a little wishful thinking that day.....I now see where that got me.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:34 PM
tgreening
Elder User
tgreening has a good reputation on FTE.tgreening has a good reputation on FTE.
What I want to know is if the OP ever got back the $350 the delaership charged him for replacing the "bad" switch that turned out to not be the problem.

Old 08-26-2011, 02:57 PM
fg250
Elder User
fg250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
well, mine is doing it again as well. If it sits for a day without running it'll give me the check brake system message when cranking. Of course my dealership only replaced one the last time so........you see where that got us. This will be battery #4 since february 2010.

Old 10-06-2016, 11:51 PM
Josh Duschel
New User
Josh Duschel is starting off with a positive reputation.
Check brake system

I had check brake system message on and brake light replaced both Batts and still nothing changed 08 f450 6.4 what else could it be?

Old 10-07-2016, 04:58 AM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
check the sensor at the master cylinder or the brake pedal.

Maybe your fluid is low or you actually need to check your brakes?

Old 10-29-2016, 09:01 AM
99expyTN
Senior User
99expyTN is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm glad this thread resurfaced recently. It would have been hard to find that is was related to batteries with a title of "check brake system."

Last few days my 08 with 56k miles has been having trouble starting. It won't turn over at all for a couple of seconds and then all of the sudden it will crank and the "check brake system" message will show. This is different than what I typically expect with a battery going bad. Usually, they will turn over slow which is a good sign of an impending death of a battery. Also, all the gauges will max out for a couple of seconds. Regardless, I'm going to assume it's the batteries. I bought the truck 3 years ago with 36k miles, so I have no knowledge of the batteries. The passenger battery is Motorcraft and the driver side battery is Autocraft.

I did just complete a 1300 mile round trip to Ft Wilderness at Disney World. I had the refrigerator in the travel trailer running (propane) but I assume it needs a little current for controller board. It also sat overnight once keeping the refrigerator running. I wonder if this contributed to the battery issue.

If I have to jump start truck, does it matter which battery I connect too?

Thank You

Old 10-29-2016, 09:50 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Post Fiend
CampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputation
It doesn't matter which battery you hook the jumper cables up to.