6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

P207F code DPF/Cat replace vs NOx sensor

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 09:43 AM
Clarence5111
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P207F code DPF/Cat replace vs NOx sensor

2013 F250 96,000 miles. Check engine light came on. Shortly after dash showed a Exhaust sensor fault and a message that truck will be limited to 50 MPH upon restart. Filled DEF and that seemed to reset the system. Fast forward three weeks later, check engine light comes back on. Shortly after dash message shows truck will be limited to 50 MPH upon restart. This time, DEF was full. Truck did restrict to 50 MPH, shortly after dash message was Engine Idle soon. We were able to limp it into a Ford dealer.

Ford tech came back with a diagnosis of new DPF/Cat needed, to a tune of $3900. I asked about the NOx sensors (since there was a dash message of sensor fault) and asked for the diagnostic code. Code came back P207F. Tech says NOx sensors are corroded and MAY need to be replaced, but only after DPF/Cat is replaced first.

Needless to say this is a big repair for me and I'd like to get some input before I pull the trigger on the DPF/Cat replacement.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:56 AM
F250_Super_4X4
Tuned
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Delete it!! Ill sell you mine for 2k LOL

Old 12-21-2017, 10:08 AM
Clarence5111
New User
Believe me, I've never wanted to delete anything more in my life right now.

Old 12-21-2017, 11:22 AM
jetskier
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
My '13 presented that code and the dash lights at 50k. I tried the DEF fill and cleared the code with my EZ-Lynk and it went away for a few weeks. It was a NOX sensor. They replaced it and then reset the parameters with the IDS. Never did they mention to replace the exhaust system for that code. I'm at 65k now ...no issues since.

Old 12-21-2017, 12:09 PM
Clarence5111
New User
Thanks jetskier. Makes me think I am on the right track with the NOX.

Old 12-24-2017, 10:06 AM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,447 Likes on 893 Posts
Originally Posted by jetskier
My '13 presented that code and the dash lights at 50k. I tried the DEF fill and cleared the code with my EZ-Lynk and it went away for a few weeks. It was a NOX sensor. They replaced it and then reset the parameters with the IDS. Never did they mention to replace the exhaust system for that code. I'm at 65k now ...no issues since.
Agreed... I had a similar issue at ~110k miles. They replaced the Nox sensor and all was good. Fast forward to 130k miles and had the engine light come on and they replaced two EGT sensors.

Old 10-13-2018, 11:07 PM
KodiakF250
More Turbo
Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts
I just got this exhaust fluid system fault while towing a short ways from home, but fortunately when the 50 miles passed, the warning said I'd be restricted to 50mph at next restart. So, I made it home even with the final warnings coming up for the last 20 minutes saying Idle Soon. Parked it at home, shut it off, restarted and it told me Engine Idled, Exhaust Fluid System Fault, and I pulled both an historic and current fault code of P207F using Torque Pro. No fault code indicating a NoX sensor fault. How did you guys that had a NoX sensor failure know which sensor was bad? I've gotten a NoX sensor fault before, and replacing the sensor fixed it.

I was able to get a service writer at my dealership on the phone while still on the road when this first happened, and he penciled me in for a Wed appt. But, I have to call my normal Service Writer on Mon AM to share details and get this locked in. I have an extended warranty, but I'm also worried that getting to the dealership may be a royal PITA since it's normally a 20 minute drive when not "idled". How will the truck act? When I started it to pull fault codes, I put it in gear and the throttle was responsive and not restricted to idling.

Old 10-14-2018, 09:08 AM
JohnD333
Laughing Gas
Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
Since you are home, can't you pull the negative cables on both batteries, wait 30 minutes, and reconnect? Can anyone confirm that this will put you back to the first warning stage so you can drive versus idle or be towed to the dealer?

Originally Posted by KodiakF250
I just got this exhaust fluid system fault while towing a short ways from home, but fortunately when the 50 miles passed, the warning said I'd be restricted to 50mph at next restart. So, I made it home even with the final warnings coming up for the last 20 minutes saying Idle Soon. Parked it at home, shut it off, restarted and it told me Engine Idled, Exhaust Fluid System Fault, and I pulled both an historic and current fault code of P207F using Torque Pro. No fault code indicating a NoX sensor fault. How did you guys that had a NoX sensor failure know which sensor was bad? I've gotten a NoX sensor fault before, and replacing the sensor fixed it.

I was able to get a service writer at my dealership on the phone while still on the road when this first happened, and he penciled me in for a Wed appt. But, I have to call my normal Service Writer on Mon AM to share details and get this locked in. I have an extended warranty, but I'm also worried that getting to the dealership may be a royal PITA since it's normally a 20 minute drive when not "idled". How will the truck act? When I started it to pull fault codes, I put it in gear and the throttle was responsive and not restricted to idling.

Old 10-14-2018, 07:11 PM
KodiakF250
More Turbo
Yes, I sure would like to know if anyone can confirm if there is a way to get out of this forced idle mode. After parking the trailer & unhooking this morning, I confirmed that I am in fact forced into idle mode only. Can't safely drive to the dealership while only idling. If someone hasn't successfully been through this, I'll ask my service writer in the morning. I really don't want to pay for a tow to the dealership! Thanks.

Old 10-16-2018, 08:59 AM
KodiakF250
More Turbo
Fortunately my truck was still covered under Ford's roadside assistance. So it was towed to the dealership yesterday. I'll report back what's found.

Irritating that a emissions fault like this causes an idle situation vice stopping at the 50mph speed restriction. The speed restriction would be enough to force people to get the DEF system working properly without stranding a driver with an Engine Idled condition. Can't imagine how problematic this would have been if I was back up in the mountains of central Idaho! Up there, I'm at least a couple hours or more from a dealership, and if I got forced into an idle situation, the truck may not get over some of the hills...especially if I'm in winter weather.

Old 10-18-2018, 11:24 AM
U9000
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Does anybody have any idea why a sensor needs programming or resetting of anything (other than clearing a code) if only a sensor is replaced? I going with a truck that's not in limp mode, only throwing a NOx sensor code. Replacing the sensor will fix the code issue, but what programming is needed for that sensor?

Old 10-19-2018, 09:01 AM
KodiakF250
More Turbo
My truck is back. The DEF injector was stuck open. Tech performed injector cleaning, applied TSB, and reflashed PCM. Unfortunately, this won't keep a future DEF system fault from putting the truck into idle if I'm too far away from a dealership. I don't know if the forced Engine Idled is by gov't regulation or a result of an overly aggressive Ford.

Old 10-19-2018, 09:07 AM
slorider
Senior User
Originally Posted by U9000
Does anybody have any idea why a sensor needs programming or resetting of anything (other than clearing a code) if only a sensor is replaced? I going with a truck that's not in limp mode, only throwing a NOx sensor code. Replacing the sensor will fix the code issue, but what programming is needed for that sensor?
The NOx sensor doesn't require any programming when replaced, at least my '11 didn't when I replaced it. Same goes for the EGT sensors.

Old 10-19-2018, 11:40 AM
U9000
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by slorider

The NOx sensor doesn't require any programming when replaced, at least my '11 didn't when I replaced it. Same goes for the EGT sensors.
Thanks. When mine had the fault, I was told they needed to program the sensor. They wanted 3 hours to R&R and program. It seemed a bit excessive.

Old 10-19-2018, 07:44 PM
KodiakF250
More Turbo
Well, a mere 24 hours later this morning, and the truck popped a check engine light with the same fault code. Called the dealership to bring it right in, and on the way the thing skipped the 50 miles to 50mph warning and went straight to the Engine Idle Soon warning. Wonderful. This time they gave me a loaner F150 ecoboost while they dig into her today and tomorrow.

Quick Reply: P207F code DPF/Cat replace vs NOx sensor