MP3 File playback

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 06:56 PM
79FordBlake
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MP3 File playback

I have a 1979 Ford 150 that has a new JVC cd player installed, it can be used with ipod. I have alot of my music on jump drives(plugs into usb port on pc) instead of cds. Is there a device I can buy so I can hook my jump drive to cd player and it play my mp3 files I have on it? Thanks.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:52 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It would take a CarPC. There isn't a hardware interface that I am aware of to take MP3 or any other audio file off a USB, translate it to analog audio, and then amp it slightly to provide an output you could hear. Not just that there would have to be a control interface to turn it on/off, volume, and skip song.

Now what kind of interface does the radio have? Is it the actual 15pin (or there about) Ipod plug or is it a 2.5mm jack input? If it's the 2.5mm jack, then you use a laptop or pick up one of the really cheap MP3 players to play the music.

Old 01-23-2010, 01:43 AM
angus
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've seen a little car FM transmitter that included a USB socket advertised locally at what seemed a ridiculously cheap price, like $15. I found one on eBay just now; search for something like "MP3 Car Player FM Transmitter USB SD/MMC Slot Ipod". This one was under $4, shipping included. I don't think it has a 3.5mm output, although there's a chance that the 3.5 mm input could be hacked to become an output, if it uses the normally-closed contacts on the jack to select between internal and external sources.

Reviews of similar-looking gadgets at Amazon are surprisingly positive. So, I ordered one.

Further trolling of eBay turned up a "DIGITAL Waterproof HIFI MP3 USB SD PLAYER Amplifier AMP" or "Digital HIFI Car MP3 USB/SD Remote Player Amplifier" It's close to what you want, except it already has a built-in power amp of some sort. And there's no display. Under $20 shipped.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:46 AM
davethecow
Elder User
The pioneer in my 75 has a usb port on the front.ive never tried the flash memory sticks but i would assume that it would work,i just hook my mp3 player up to it. That is an intresting situation you have there.

Old 02-06-2010, 01:35 AM
lariat97
Post Fiend
If you have usb ports the flash memory sticks will work. My next HU will have a front usb port. My Panasonic has a addon that adds 6 more auxiliary inputs. 2 are usb ports I use its one auxiliary input now for the tv. I've tried a radio frequency transmitter with my mp3. It wasn't very clear & picked up outside stations. I don't use my tv. I plan to use its input to hookup my mp3 by adding a line to the rear of the head unit & acessing it under the dash. My Rangers HU has a input on the face plate. I use my mp3 in it a lot.

Old 02-07-2010, 06:54 PM
jester8484
Junior User
Originally Posted by angus
I've seen a little car FM transmitter that included a USB socket advertised locally at what seemed a ridiculously cheap price, like $15. I found one on eBay just now; search for something like "MP3 Car Player FM Transmitter USB SD/MMC Slot Ipod". This one was under $4, shipping included. I don't think it has a 3.5mm output, although there's a chance that the 3.5 mm input could be hacked to become an output, if it uses the normally-closed contacts on the jack to select between internal and external sources.

Reviews of similar-looking gadgets at Amazon are surprisingly positive. So, I ordered one.

Further trolling of eBay turned up a "DIGITAL Waterproof HIFI MP3 USB SD PLAYER Amplifier AMP" or "Digital HIFI Car MP3 USB/SD Remote Player Amplifier" It's close to what you want, except it already has a built-in power amp of some sort. And there's no display. Under $20 shipped.
this is the winning ticket. i bought a cheap FM usb player years ago and it works great. really cheap on ebay now a days