Computer Chips & Tuners  

Problem with Edge Programmer

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 09:04 AM
mc73nova
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem with Edge Programmer

My friend has a 2006 F-350 with a 6.0 and when he installs his Edge Platinum Juice programmer it blows white smoke and gains no power at all. When the programmer is not in the vehicle the truck does not blow smoke and runs fine. Edge tested it and said the programmer is perfectly fine. He also used someone elses exact programmer and it did the same thing. So we can only assume the problem is in the truck. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance, Matt.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:38 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mc73nova
My friend has a 2006 F-350 with a 6.0 and when he installs his Edge Platinum Juice programmer it blows white smoke and gains no power at all. When the programmer is not in the vehicle the truck does not blow smoke and runs fine. Edge tested it and said the programmer is perfectly fine. He also used someone elses exact programmer and it did the same thing. So we can only assume the problem is in the truck. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance, Matt.
Well, in-line fuel modules such as the Edge are not good for the 6.0 period. Their products in particular are known to eat trannys and to have issues with the stock headbolts as well.

Loss of power are indicative of so many things though, however, considering it does it with the module, the module is doing something that is atleast bringing an issue to bare, if not causing it.

In all honesty, I would ditch the Edge and get something that does custom tunes, it will actually be better in the long run for the truck.

Just out of curiosity, is he running an a/m intake? If so then I would ditch that as well, there are no benefits to a "tuned" 6.0 with an a/m intake.

As to what exactly the issue could be, well it really depends, I can think of a few things(or combination of things) that could be causing this. Is there anything else you can give me? Gauge readings etc?

Old 01-18-2010, 11:22 AM
mc73nova
New User
Originally Posted by tex25025
Well, in-line fuel modules such as the Edge are not good for the 6.0 period. Their products in particular are known to eat trannys and to have issues with the stock headbolts as well.

Loss of power are indicative of so many things though, however, considering it does it with the module, the module is doing something that is atleast bringing an issue to bare, if not causing it.

In all honesty, I would ditch the Edge and get something that does custom tunes, it will actually be better in the long run for the truck.

Just out of curiosity, is he running an a/m intake? If so then I would ditch that as well, there are no benefits to a "tuned" 6.0 with an a/m intake.

As to what exactly the issue could be, well it really depends, I can think of a few things(or combination of things) that could be causing this. Is there anything else you can give me? Gauge readings etc?
I believe the only thing he has aside from the Edge is a 5" single cat back exhaust.

I will ask him for more details so its easier to pinpoint the problem.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:19 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
I believe the only thing he has aside from the Edge is a 5" single cat back exhaust.
Alright, I can tell you one thing that is contributing to power loss, especially on the low end, is the fact he is running a 5" exhaust. He isn't flowing enough air and fuel in order to support this mod. I'm talking bigger turbo and injectors.

I will ask him for more details so its easier to pinpoint the problem.
Let me know. Power loss is indicative of just too many things. I can rattle off quite a few and it might be a combination of the ones that I mention as well. Does he have a good code reader as well? Not just the Edge to read codes, but I mean something like Auto Enginuity or something like that? The Edge might not pick up codes that would help with this as well.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:12 PM
mc73nova
New User
He said a Ford Technician scanned it and flashed it with a new update from Ford and everything was fine.

Stock intake with a True Flow filter.

Ill have him check to see what his gauges are like.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:30 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
He said a Ford Technician scanned it and flashed it with a new update from Ford and everything was fine.

Stock intake with a True Flow filter.

Ill have him check to see what his gauges are like.
Did it start acting hinky after the Ford update? It might be because the truck has a new strategy that isn't in the firmware of the Edge that is giving it some grief.

I'm thinking more and more it's the module though. Let me know what he says about the gauges though, that might me change my mind.