Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Engine FIRE!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 12:53 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Mine is a 07/2000 build. My standpipe is not threaded either. It just pops out.

Old 02-07-2017, 12:23 AM
donnybrasco
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you for the information!!

Old 02-13-2017, 01:38 AM
retiredsparky
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The advantage of the newer style heater is that the heating element is actually insulated like an oven or water heater element with a heat resistant mineral inside of an outer metal tube. Presto, no more short circuits. Thanks Y2K for posting about this, a good thing to know for older truck owners.

Larry

Old 02-13-2017, 03:09 AM
SRBF150
Laughing Gas
Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
My 5/99 had the thin wire style heating element in it. Glad I changed it!

Old 02-13-2017, 08:15 AM
Y2KW57
Received 3,327 Likes on 1,744 Posts
We need to compile (or retrieve from the archives) a list of safety and functional improvements that Ford quietly dribbled into the Super Duty platform over the years... particularly within the 99-03 platform and time frame.

I never understood the forum fueled frenzy of folks routinely unplugging their fuel bowl heaters and leaving them unplugged for no reason other than forum folklore dictates to do so.

Well respected contributors, such as Sky Ski Jason, say that the "very first thing I do to a Super Duty is unplug the bowl heater." Jason develops and installs WVO systems for the 7.3L. Given that anyone who works and daily drives with WVO year round would perforce be acutely aware of the dangers of fuel gelling and coagulation from fuel of either type not being warm enough... Jason's position on unplugging the stock fuel bowl heater carries all the more resonance with readers.

Equally resonant are the reported instances of the truck being found on road dead due to the 30 amp fuse that feeds power to the PCM and the fuel bowl being blown, the cause generally being attributed to the bowl heater. This begs the question: Were the actual occurrences (as opposed to the suppositions and repeated echoes) of those fuel bowl fuse blows mostly in the early 99's, 99's, 99.5's, and early 2000 models... nearly 3 production years (all of 1998, 1999, and most of 2000) where the earlier style bowl heaters were installed?

In other words, if you have a 2001, 2002, or 2003 model year, should you really automatically unplug your fuel bowl heater just because that's what everybody on the forum says to do... without considering whether or not that forum fed advice stems from a history of failures with an earlier style fuel bowl heater that you don't even have?

If you have a 2000, would it be a good idea to check what kind of fuel bowl heater you have next time you drain the fuel bowl for a filter change, given that either style heater might be installed, as demonstrated in the posts above?

if you have a early 99 through early 2000, would it be a better idea to upgrade to the updated fuel bowl heater, and enjoy the benefits of not gelling in the winter... rather than just unplugging the old fuel bowl heater because it is a known risk of failure, fuse blowing, and now fire?

And what other "secret" updates should we be considering? We know about the well publicized updates, like the brake/speed control switch on the master cylinder (official recall), the CMP sensor (official recall... of debated merits), and the 99.5 engine updates (turbo changes, larger diameter plenums, air box changes, etc). But what about other little improvements like this fuel bowl heater, which after two decades of vague familiarity with this engine, still managed to escape my notice until just this year?

We should dig up a list, similar to the "Failure Prevention" thread, that details all the non publicized differences and improvements over the years, so that we can all make the updates as required to avoid Ford's past pitfalls and promote functional longevity. Not having engine fires would be nice too.

Old 02-13-2017, 12:15 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
I never understood the forum fueled frenzy of folks routinely unplugging their fuel bowl heaters and leaving them unplugged for no reason other than forum folklore dictates to do so.
I've not seen a frenzy, and I've not seen any folklore about it?

I only see the occassional suggestion to unplug it for preventive measures, and because the situation a fuel bowl heating element to become activated is so rare, it's almost not needed.

For the heater bowl element to become activated, I remember reading the Ford documentation years ago when someone posted it here on the forum and basically, it's almost like jumping through hoops for the element to activate.

Because it's so rare for the element to activate, and because it's not unheard of for the fuse to blow leaving people stranded, it would be a no-brainer for someone like me to unplug it because I would never have occassion to have it activated where I live.

There are some owners who live in colder climates (than I) who completely delete their fuel bowl and no longer have a heating element.

It's just not a big deal to have it plugged in or not for most people, and if the potential for the fuel bowl to become problematic where the fuse is concerned can be eliminated as a precaution, that's information that should be shared.

Stewart

Old 02-13-2017, 12:18 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Everyone lives in a colder climate than you do, Stewart.

Old 02-13-2017, 12:53 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by andym
Everyone lives in a colder climate than you do, Stewart.
Just because I have a built in "cheat code" for my weather doesn't mean anything.

I've been in Quincy (NorCal, Plumas National Forest) for a very cold weekend a few years back when I was helping my son move back home from college. It got into the low single digits and I never worried that my fuel bowl was unplugged, and I never had a problem.

Stewart

Old 02-13-2017, 12:57 PM
Y2KW57
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
I've not seen a frenzy, and I've not seen any folklore about it?

...that's information that should be shared.

Pardon my alliteration and adjectives, but you probably haven't spent the last 2 weeks trying to diagnose why the WIF light isn't illuminating either! The WIF indicator uses same plug as fuel bowl heater. My WIF light isn't working, so I've spent the last 2 weeks scorching the earth on every forum internet wide (not just FTE)... and in so doing have read a LOT of posts from people unplugging their fuel bowl for no other reason than they read elsewhere it was a good idea. And, I read many of those "elsewhere" sources as well.

With so, so, so many posts of fuel heater unpluggers fresh in my mind, the OP's thread was the tilting point that finally connected the dots with an older, more problem prone fuel heater assembly, compared to the newer updated design with the insulator around the heating element. And that's the information I shared.

It almost sounds like you are suggesting that some information shouldn't be shared, while other information should. But that sounds so uncharacteristic of you, it is not possible to believe, because you are one of the most involved, enthusiastic, curious, balanced, tolerant, and tolerable moderators found on any truck related forum I've ever visited. And one of your particular contributions and strengths is curating and organizing all kinds of useful information.

Discovering and distributing a distinction like this... between a potentially safer fuel heater, that might be less prone to shorting, versus a potentially less safe fuel heater, that might be more prone to blowing fuses, shorting, and in the OP's case, starting an engine fire... would be right up your ally on the list of information that should be shared!

Old 02-13-2017, 01:21 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Pardon my alliteration
It made me smile, but I also did want to add a little context to your post, lest others maybe a little less familiar with us and how we post here, think the only reason people are unplugging is because they fear the sky is falling.

..you probably haven't spent the last 2 weeks trying to diagnose why the WIF light isn't illuminating either!
Nope, I haven't, but I do understand the frustration. I have a problem with a surging accelerator that I get frustrated over, so I keep putting on the back burner.

The WIF indicator uses same plug as fuel bowl heater. My WIF light isn't working...
I have my old sensor somewhere (I removed it when I had to mod my fuel bowl and plug the hole with JB Weld) if you want it, I mean, if you want to see if your sensor itself might be bad.

Lemme know and I'll try to find it for you.

...and in so doing have read a LOT of posts from people unplugging their fuel bowl for no other reason than they read elsewhere it was a good idea.
That was the point of my post, to put forth a reason to the idea, so others don't just think people are doing it "just because...."

And that's the information I shared.

It almost sounds like you are suggesting that some information shouldn't be shared, while other information should.
Not at all, just posting a small counter-point in an effort to illuminate the "why" a little better, to provide more info, so anyone reading can weigh and judge. If I wasn't clear and I came across like I was attempting to stifle you, that was not my intent.

Poor communication wasn't my intent either, but it looks like I excelled there!

Discovering and distributing a distinction like this... between a potentially safer fuel heater, that might be less prone to shorting, versus a potentially less safe fuel heater, that might be more prone to blowing fuses, shorting, and in the OP's case, starting an engine fire... would be right up your ally on the list of information that should be shared!
I wasn't addressing that in my post, but I guess I threw up enough dust to cause confusion, apologies.

My post up there was only to illuminate why people do the preventive measure of unplugging the fuel bowl, not to dismiss any information on the differing heater elements you are discovering.

I guess I didn't use the right smilies? Or not enough of them?

Stewart

Old 02-13-2017, 03:20 PM
Y2KW57
Not enough smilies? Naaww. That's not possible with you. I hear that you never fry bacon without a smile. And my personal bias against indiscriminate disabling of factory functions is likely what you detected and wanted to provide a balance of perspective to. Which I understand.

I'm just surprised at the number of people who disable their WIF sensor, as that comes hand in hand with disabling the bowl heater. Neither one should have to be rendered inoperable for reliability... and if we can get more specific about which type of bowl heaters are actually blowing fuses, rather than assuming that all bowl heaters have that propensity... then maybe a few folks who might benefit from a working WIF (who otherwise might not need the heater) can have that function restored.

Not that the WIF is that functional... my WIF lite has never come on in the 16 plus years I've owned the truck. Only recently have I come to realize there might be some other reason behind it... and it isn't the bulb or the wiring.

I don't know how to go about putting some statistical significance into learning which style of fuel bowl heater was installed in the bowls of folks who actually experienced a blown fuse with the heater plugged in, but this will be something we should pay attention to from now on, because if the WIF sensor does actually detect water in the fuel, it would be nice for some folks to at least have that working again.

Old 02-13-2017, 05:38 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
I'm just surprised at the number of people who disable their WIF sensor, as that comes hand in hand with disabling the bowl heater. Neither one should have to be rendered inoperable for reliability... and if we can get more specific about which type of bowl heaters are actually blowing fuses, rather than assuming that all bowl heaters have that propensity... then maybe a few folks who might benefit from a working WIF (who otherwise might not need the heater) can have that function restored.
I have always been of the mindset that curing a problem is better than a bandaid for a problem.

I don't know how to go about putting some statistical significance into learning which style of fuel bowl heater was installed in the bowls of folks who actually experienced a blown fuse with the heater plugged in, but this will be something we should pay attention to from now on, because if the WIF sensor does actually detect water in the fuel, it would be nice for some folks to at least have that working again.
Completely agree.

Stewart

Old 02-14-2017, 11:55 AM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Completely agree.
Well, if it helps, I have a Mar '98 build and my 30 amp PCM fuse popped last Friday. Unplugging the WIF / Fuel Bowl Heater wire solved the problem. But since I still haven't had the chance to finish replacing the IPR and it's now 29F out, you'll have to wait a bit before I can see what type of Fuel Bowl heater I have. Although I do intend to fix it and keep both features functioning.

Old 02-14-2017, 12:02 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by SaintITC
... you'll have to wait a bit before I can see what type of Fuel Bowl heater I have.

Stewart

Old 02-20-2017, 01:17 PM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Two things. First, my e99 did have the exposed element fuel bowl heater, new style went right in. Also, my standpipe is not threaded, but just pops in place, held down by the heater.

Second thing, I accidently made this reply to Y2KW57's P1139 WIFIL thread, where it's completely irrelevant. Can you delete that post?