N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

71 Ford Needs Front End Work

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 07:44 PM
micklskot
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
71 Ford Needs Front End Work

Well, not long ago, went to the local shop to get a front end alignment and found out that I need a lot of work in order for them to even do an alignment on my truck.

I'm not exactly sure all of the work that needs to be done, but I'm sure I'm going to need new bushings among other things. There is a local community college where I could get the work done to save some bucks, but my other option is to do the work myself using the Beale AFB auto shop which has tools and there are mechanics there that could possibly give me advice.

I've never done anything like this before with replacing bushings, etc. What what you guys recommend, and as far as parts, where is the best place to get them?

Thanks....

Old 01-16-2010, 09:28 AM
fastmover
Posting Guru
Hmmm.. are there any junkyards around you. I am not too knowledgeable about that stuff, but hopefully Dan, Mike or one of the other wrenchers around here will pipe in.

Old 01-16-2010, 02:39 PM
micklskot
Junior User
Fastmover,
Thanks for taking time to respond to my post.

Old 01-16-2010, 05:20 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Kinda tough to give advice w/o knowing what you need to have done, I just (about 4-6 weekes ago) did RA and I beam bushing on a friends '68-should be the same as yours-and can help you with advice from there if need be.

My friend brought me over parts from NAPA, I did have to reem the inner RA bushings to make them fit, other than that no issues.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:19 PM
micklskot
Junior User
I'm going to see if I can get an idea what needs to be done. I'm sorta new to the area and would like to avoid having to fork out a bunch of dough to a shop that I really don't know very well. I'm willing to do the work myself, and can probably do so on base since I have access to tools. I'll keep you posted on how things go.....thanks...

Old 01-18-2010, 12:14 AM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

Received 98 Likes on 54 Posts
Our old 71 F250 2 WD had king pins in the front that seized at one point. It took everything the press at the automotive machine shop could give to get em out. Steered like new after that.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:20 PM
nevrenufhp
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I did almost all of my bushings over the past few months. It's not all that bad. I use Energy suspension for mine. Go for the shop at Beale, and do it all yourself. The aftermarket stuff does not cost much more than standard rubber replacements. Most local parts stores can get all you need.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:33 PM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mike, the radius arm bushings are pretty easy, you should have no problem especially if you have a shop to work in and some mechanics to give you advice. If you needs new kingpins, that's a bit more involved and as Andy mentioned, requires a teardown of the entire front suspension and as Andy mentioned, some work needs to be done by a machine shop.

On a different note, I have the other needed piece for your throttle linkage and have carrying it around in my toolbox, just keep forgetting to mention it to you. Perhaps we can hook up at some point and slap it on when I'm in Woodland, just seems like a long way for you to go for that one little piece. Maybe I can look at your front end at the same time and get a better idea of what you're up against.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:47 AM
micklskot
Junior User
Dan, according to the mechanic (he has a 70 F100), I'm gonna need new kingpins. Basically, have to tear everything apart. He didn't mention anything about needing machine work. I'm not sure if I can leave my truck at the Beale auto shop overnight. Will have to check about that. Also need a new power steering box he said.....springs, shocks, you name it.....

Maybe I missed understanding correctly, but do I have to do everything all at once or can I do a little at a time. From what nevrenuthp said, looks like I can do bushings a little at a time. Where do I get Energy suspension? Mechanic said I should get OEM parts, but I gather that the Energy suspension is a better product. Sorry for my ignorance about these things.

Dan, thanks for picking up the throttle linkage. Once I get the front end squared away, I'll meet up with you again. I don't want to travel very far because my front tires are already wearing incorrectly.

Gotta get this fixed as soon as I can. Thanks guys for the responses and answering my questions.....