Sponsored by:

Bumpstops? How low can you go?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 12:20 AM
AirSmitty
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bumpstops? How low can you go?

Hey guys! We have a 2006 f250 diesel with a rancho 4" lift kit, and with that lift kit came a 4" lift for the bumpstops..... Is this really necessary? The bumpstops are like 1.5" from the axle. Maybe when the truck is stock they keep the axle from running into the frame.... but it makes sense to me that now that it's lifted that the bumpstops should only keep the tires from rubbing in the wheelwells and the coil springs from fully compressing. I can feel it hit the bumpstops when going over speedbumps, and off road it rides very nice until it hits anything over 6" tall. It's just our tow/recovery rig... but it seems i could make it ride and flex better by shortening the bumpstop spacer...... what do you think?

Old 01-07-2010, 11:25 PM
9.ford.5
Postmaster
depends...are you gonna cause any binding of steering or suspension by reducing the bumpstops? bumpstops are designed to limit the suspension travel so that stress isnt placed on the steering or other parts of the suspension, and introducing that stress on them might cause them to fail

is it gonna cause your tires to contact fenders/bumpers ect..

you dont have to worry about the coils compressing they are designed to compress

Old 01-08-2010, 01:21 AM
AirSmitty
Senior User
I'm sure i'm not even close to having the steering bind..... And I was talking about keeping the coils from binding....where they are so compressed that ALL of the spring rate is lost and they essentially become a metal tube instead of a spring. I know that's a long way to go though! I think i'm just gonna have to try this out myself. I guess i was shooting for anyone that had done it before. Thanks though!

Old 01-08-2010, 10:48 AM
Prozon
Postmaster
I agree what 9.Ford.5 says.

And HAH to your signature.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:03 PM
9.ford.5
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Prozon
And HAH to your signature.
haha i know i like that too LOL...thats great

a 2006 F250 diesel, is that a SFA or IFS of some sort?

if its a solid axle you dont have much to worry about other than the axle hittin frame rails or x-members but if its IFS you gotta be careful to not let the axle joints bind up, i dont even know what the newer IFS stuff looks like LOL that might not be a problem, i know it is with a TTB

and good luck compessing a coil that far, but if yo ever do make sure to take pictures, i dont want to see light throuh the coil from any angle!

you should go take pics so we can see exactly what you are dealing with here

Old 01-11-2010, 01:39 AM
AirSmitty
Senior User
It's a straight axle. Dana 60 on radius arms! My poor '78 with it's leaf sprung 44 front stares in jealousy every day. Funny how my dad drives the truck with the 60 that goes off road once in a while and only has 35's, and my truck has dreams of 42's and the rubicon limited only by my wallet's size. Gotta find me a King pin 60 but that's another story.

I found this picture. Not our truck but the same deal with the bumpstop drop bracket. but my bumpstop is like an inch from the axle at ride height. This pic shows at least 4 inches. . . . .
I think this pic might have answered my question

My parents went behind my back and bought the truck with the lift already installed at the dealership... chances are they don't know crap about aftermarket stuff in that garage.

As for compressing the coils that far... no friggin way on the f250 but it seems pretty possible on our Jeep Cherokee. At full flex i bet it'd only take 3-4 more inches to turn into a tube, they're pretty soft. not probable, but possible. I just lifted the cherokee have yet to put bumpstops in with no problems other than chewing my tires/fenders up.I figured i could shorten the bumpstops on our f250 to let the suspension work rather being throw around going over speedbumps. Thanks guys!