1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

4x4 lowering kit -non air

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2003, 07:07 PM
tonum24
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 4x4 lowering kit -non air

http://www.wmsracing.com/pgi-CustomL...,160,=,trksusp For those of you 4x4 guys/gals who don't have the airbag suspension you can get a lowering kit which will lower @ 2 1/2 inches front, 3 inches rear. For about $429. You can make a safer better handling expedition and easier to get into and out of. I'm putting mine on Friday so I'll give an update. These are springs made for our 4x4 and not a 4x2. The torsion key is different for the front so that's how the front gets lowered. They say the spring of the torsion bars are the same so ride should be same except less bouncy now. New bumpstops are included. They also tell me that just by raising the Expy on a lift and letting the tires hang free that will unload the bars and it's a simple procedure. The rears should be fairly easy also. An alignment kit comes with it (control arm eccentric bolts) so you can do it properly. Stuff is good quality.

Last edited by tonum24; 03-12-2003 at 07:12 PM.
Old 03-14-2003, 12:19 PM
nonamenoname88
Freshman User

I would be careful with the torsion bars. Ford has a tool for unloading the bars. It hangs on the cross bar and a bolt comes up to load/unload. If you rip the treads out of that, your SOL. If your a DIY guy, I would make one to unload it.

Old 04-16-2003, 12:29 PM
2000Expy
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 4x4 lowering kit -non air

Why would anyone want to lower a 4x4???

Old 04-16-2003, 05:02 PM
haroutd
Posting Guru
Location: I'm lost somewhere in NJ -- can someone please find me?!?!?!?

Lower an Expedition? To each his own, I guess. As long as you're happy with what ya' got.

Old 04-16-2003, 06:28 PM
tonum24
Senior User

Girls and guys let me explain why you SHOULD lower an expedition. Now,understand that I know a good deal about suspensions and handling in vehicles. The question is why wouldn't you want to lower it? Why do you need 8 inches of road clearance UNLESS you go offroading? If you do travel offroad then it would probably be something you wouldn't want to do. But,95%? of us never do. You see those expy's with the air suspension,well when they are parked it is lowered about the same as my lowered suspension-except I get the benefit as it is ALWAYS that height. The air expy's raise up when moving. My 2000 now rides much better because the center of gravity is lower and it's rendency to "roll" in an emergency procedure is that much less. Getting in is now easier (you'd be surprised at how much 2.5" makes (front) 3" rear. See the BMW and Porsche suv's? They are fairly low-why?-because handling is a high priority in any vehicle. I also live in New England and snow won't affect it one bit at it's lower height. I will tell you that I didn't have the "tool" needed to do it by myself so Ford charged me $500 for the whole caboodle? which includes alignment. The control arm bolts sent with my kit weren't needed and neither were the new bump stops.

Old 04-16-2003, 09:00 PM
iflyabeech
Freshman User
Thumbs down 4x4 lowering kit -non air

Que paso, holmes? Are you going to put 20-inch rims, hydaulic three wheel motion, neon lights, fuzzy dice, gold plate everything, and put your name in silver letters across the back window? haha, just another ghetto wagon!

Old 04-16-2003, 09:22 PM
2003EXPY
Senior User

The reason I traded my 98 EB in on an 03 EB was the 98 cornered like a wounded water buffalo and was a white knuckle ride at 70mph in heavy and gusty crosswinds. It leaned badly to the left on righthand curves thanks to my 280lbs and the gas tank on the left side. Right hand curves I could barely take at 20mph in the 98 I can take at 40+ in the 03. Also if you drop a first gen Expy a couple of inches you lose the big gap between the tires and fenderwells. To each his own,if you like them lifted,cool,if you like them dropped,cool too. Build them and drive them like you like 'em.

Old 04-16-2003, 10:24 PM
haroutd
Posting Guru
Location: I'm lost somewhere in NJ -- can someone please find me?!?!?!?

I guess that I can't comment on the "Gen 1 Expy" because I have never driven one, but I've put quite a few miles on my dad's 2003 Expedition EB, and I see no need to drop it at all. It corners like a dream with little to no body roll, and felt quite stable, even when I pushed it harder than I should have (winding country roads -- doesn't get better!). Therefore, my thoughts are that dropping a 2003 Expedition would be akin to sacrilege, IMHO. Very much along the lines of what iflyabeech said. But again, to each his own. It doesn't matter what we say -- all that matters is that you're happy with your ride.

There are ways to improve upon many of the performance issues (body roll, etc) on these SUV's without dropping them -- Edelbrock Performer IAS shocks would be a great option. At a fraction of the nearly $1,000 price tag of a drop. And you'll get a softer/gentler ride than you would with the drop, too. I won't bore you guys on the details of these shocks; if you're interested, click here to check out the thread I started in the SuperDuty forum on these shocks. While you're there, say hello -- mention that I sent ya' and I promise we won't bite!

Old 04-17-2003, 12:36 AM
iflyabeech
Freshman User

I also say to each his own. It sure is funny to see some of these creations. My Expy corners fine for what it is. "The reason I traded my 98 EB in on an 03 EB was the 98 cornered like a wounded water buffalo and was a white knuckle ride at 70mph in heavy and gusty crosswinds. It leaned badly to the left on righthand curves thanks to my 280lbs and the gas tank on the left side. Right hand curves I could barely take at 20mph in the 98. . ."------->2003expy. Can you say exaggeration?

Old 04-17-2003, 12:39 AM
iflyabeech
Freshman User
Thumbs up 4x4 lowering kit -non air

...and here in Alaska we have plenty of high winds, crosswinds, curves, mountains, snow, etc. I have never had a problem with my Expedition. In fact I bought it cause it handles these conditions superbly.

Old 04-17-2003, 08:10 AM
2000Expy
Elder User
Question 4x4 lowering kit -non air

tonum24, I'm glad you know a lot about suspensions. But my question remains, why would anyone want to lower a 4WD? Why buy a 4WD and then lower it?

Just buy a 2WD.

Old 04-17-2003, 03:29 PM
tonum24
Senior User

2000expy------I don't think you understand the effectiveness and reasoning of lowering a vehicle. First, I wanted a 4x4 because of the traction it gives in certain conditions-mostly for snow and ice. Second, I do believe the 2003 expy's are lower to begin with but not my 2000. Third,I have Koni shocks and Hotchkis anti-sway bars which give added anti roll benefits. The Edlebrocks weren't my choice as I got info that they weren't up to snuff . Fourth,the ride quality and smoothness are even BETTER than before lowering as it doesn't yo yo anymore and stay's flatter. You simply do not need 8-10 inches of road clearance unless you offroad in tough territory. And finally-it is worth every penny of that $1000 as the benefits of the even more stable platform it now sits on makes it safer and much more capable of handling/cornering without putting the tires on their sidewalls. Speaking of tires,I'll be getting performance suv Bridgestones soon. But 20 inch wheels are for next year. If you want to see the before and after pictures go to this website,it's really not an extreme difference. WMS racing.com

Old 04-17-2003, 07:26 PM
2003EXPY
Senior User

No exaggeration,the day I traded the 98 in I took the curve at 20mph and felt very uncomfortable with the amount of lean,almost as if it wanted to roll.When I took delivery of the 03 the same day I went around that curve again purposely to see how much better the new truck cornered,this time I did it at 40mph,very comfortably, and felt it could have done it at 45 or a bit more. Last time I checked the dealer still had my 98,if you really think I'm exaggerating go to www.elmhurstmotors.com ,look at the used vehicles,my 98 is Med.Wedgewood Blue EB with 47,000 miles and an alarm on it.If they still have it I can arrange a "test drive" for you if you'd care to come down to Chicago,and you're welcome to try to follow me around that curve at 40mph with a full tank of gas like it had when I traded it in,I'll even pay to fill it up. Maybe your 2000 corners and handles better than my 98,but I had the 98 3 months short of 3 years and it was like that from the day I got it. That was the ONLY thing I didn't like about it and the main reason I traded it in for the 03. Take an 03 for a test drive and see for yourself how much better they corner and handle. I agree with tonum24 ,if they'd had the lowering kit available when I had the 98 I'd have set mine up with it,the Hotchkis stabilizer bars and either Koni's or Bilstein's and would've kept it 'till it died.

Old 04-17-2003, 07:33 PM
BigMattXXL
Postmaster

I think everyone here has the wrong impression - when he says "lower" he's (hopefully) only talking a few inches, not turning an Expedition into an earth crawler that can't even manage a speed bump. My brother and I both have 1999 Expeditions - he's got the standard suspension, I've got the air/load leveling suspension. My Expy sits a good 3-4" lower than his does. I first noticed it when I was parked next to another Expedition at the bank - I couldn't figure out why mine was sitting so much lower than everyone elses. It turns out that the air suspension rides lower than the standard. My Expedition, even before I put the new sway bar on, cornered MUCH better than my brothers. I can understand 100% why someone would want to drop a stock Expy a bit. Notice I said "drop it a bit" not "slam it". Even with my lower ride height, I powered through this year's east coast blizzard with relative ease.

XXL

Old 04-17-2003, 07:38 PM
97expy5_4
Senior User

Hey Matt,

Sweet storm this year. I live in Odenton and played all winter long.

1997 Black Expy 5.4
Full Thule roof rack
side body mounted CB antenna
front hitch w/6 fishing pole holder
Hellwig rear sway
50 series flowmaster
Cobra CB

And one day if wife allows, a big fatty lift kit....hehehehehe

Later

Big MIck

Quick Reply: 4x4 lowering kit -non air