6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

05 6.0 w/ Plow on having cooling issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 05:15 PM
sgthawkusmc
Posting Guru
Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts
05 6.0 w/ Plow on having cooling issues

I've read through all the tsb info and quite a few threads, but it hasn't answered my question yet. On the highway my truck has been getting hot when I'm running with the plow on. I've been plowing with this same truck for 5 years now and I haven't had any cooling issues until now. It seems like the clutch fan isn't kicking in and it lets the truck get too hot. I have the plow prep package which means I have the HD clutch fan.
Has anyone else had this happen? Think it could be a weak clutch fan? Also, the service manual says you have to pull the radiator to pull the fan clutch. Is this true or is it doable to get around it. It looks pretty tight. I already have the fan clutch wrenches etc.

Old 01-02-2010, 05:21 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
I would check to be sure the radiator fins are clean and doesn't have snow buildup (from plowing) as a start. Your thermostate might not be opening up completely as a second spot.

Old 01-02-2010, 05:28 PM
sgthawkusmc
Posting Guru
No snow build up and it's a well maintained truck so no debris in the radiator/fins. I'd look at the tstat, but I think that would do it whenever it got hot not just on the highway with the plow.

Old 01-02-2010, 05:28 PM
MoyockPowerstroke
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sgthawkusmc
I've read through all the tsb info and quite a few threads, but it hasn't answered my question yet. On the highway my truck has been getting hot when I'm running with the plow on. I've been plowing with this same truck for 5 years now and I haven't had any cooling issues until now. It seems like the clutch fan isn't kicking in and it lets the truck get too hot. I have the plow prep package which means I have the HD clutch fan.
Has anyone else had this happen? Think it could be a weak clutch fan? Also, the service manual says you have to pull the radiator to pull the fan clutch. Is this true or is it doable to get around it. It looks pretty tight. I already have the fan clutch wrenches etc.
I remeber something similar to this before the OP had his plow blade adjuusted too high...has the ride height of the blade changed since past operations or use?

Old 01-02-2010, 05:30 PM
sgthawkusmc
Posting Guru
no, no changes. I tried screwing around with the height and the angle of the blade, but the truck didn't cool down until I got off the highway.

Old 01-02-2010, 05:36 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Take an IR thermometer, and scan the rad, the hoses, etc. and verify that coolant is flowing properly.

Do you have a plugged oil cooler? EGR cooler?

Old 01-02-2010, 06:34 PM
sgthawkusmc
Posting Guru
It doesn't get hot at all when I'm doing anything else so I think the coolant is flowing ok. I just took a ride and left the plow a little lower than usual and all was ok. Its weird that this just started hapening and I'm not hearing the clutch fan engage when the temp creeps too high.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:49 PM
MoyockPowerstroke
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by sgthawkusmc
It doesn't get hot at all when I'm doing anything else so I think the coolant is flowing ok. I just took a ride and left the plow a little lower than usual and all was ok. Its weird that this just started hapening and I'm not hearing the clutch fan engage when the temp creeps too high.
So are you saying the blade was a little too high?

Old 01-02-2010, 10:07 PM
sgthawkusmc
Posting Guru
That's what its looking like right now, but I'm not convinced yet. Why would it be ok for five years and then all of a sudden start causing a problem? Also, when it was getting hot the last twp times dropping the plow didn't cool it down.I might not have waited long enough to cool down before pulling off the highway.

Old 01-02-2010, 10:13 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
do you here a squeel type sound while driving underload at times? do you you what the eot/ect temps are?

Old 01-02-2010, 10:14 PM
MoyockPowerstroke
Posting Guru
Who knows..these things can just change their minds...Semper Fi! Devil Dog.

Old 01-02-2010, 10:46 PM
sgthawkusmc
Posting Guru
I think Moyock might have something there. Lol...
Nothing out of the ordinary cheezit.I keep a close eye on how the truck is running. I have 80k on it and hasn't missed a beat yet other than an alternator and a couple other small things here and there.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:35 PM
dknighten
New User
sgthawkusmc: Do you have the deflector that runs a cross the top of the plow? It helps roll the snow ,keeps snow off the hood/window and aids air flow thur the rad during hi wy driving.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:52 AM
jdw1
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Does the cab heater seem to be working 100%?

Old 01-25-2010, 07:25 AM
sgthawkusmc
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by dknighten
sgthawkusmc: Do you have the deflector that runs a cross the top of the plow? It helps roll the snow ,keeps snow off the hood/window and aids air flow thur the rad during hi wy driving.
I do have the snow foil on. I've never heard that it aids in air flow though.

Quick Reply: 05 6.0 w/ Plow on having cooling issues