1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Overhead Trip Computer

Old 01-09-2002, 10:04 AM
xp8103
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overhead Trip Computer

Old 01-12-2002, 10:15 PM
Chris1368
New User
Overhead Trip Computer

Can anyone tell if they have "upgraded" their Expedition with the trip computer. Is there a harness hiden in the headliner. I have the blank that has the Expedition logo on it now. I spotted a computer in a wrecked Navigator. I just wondered if I could pop the thing into my overhead console. If anyone has any info, please let me know.

P.S. The Navigator also has the automatic climate controller and was wondering if that could replace the standard A/C controls under the radio.

Old 01-12-2002, 10:22 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Overhead Trip Computer

>Can anyone tell if they have "upgraded" their Expedition
>with the trip computer. Is there a harness hiden in the
>headliner. I have the blank that has the Expedition logo on
>it now. I spotted a computer in a wrecked Navigator. I
>just wondered if I could pop the thing into my overhead
>console.

I'd pop that Expy logo off and see what's underneath. If there is a harness, go for it.

>P.S. The Navigator also has the automatic climate
>controller and was wondering if that could replace the
>standard A/C controls under the radio.

That auto climate control also has sensors elsewhere that it uses to gather indoor and outdoor temps. My old LHS would use sun brightness data from a sensor on the dash also. I don't think that it would be a bolt-in swap. Or at least from the standpoint that the auto feature would actually work. I'm sure the override manual control would work. See if they'll let you try it.

Old 01-14-2002, 10:22 AM
xp8103
Senior User
Overhead Trip Computer

Both Greg and I have the same thing as you and when the console is removed, have come up bubkus..... nothing.... Good luck.

Old 01-15-2002, 01:40 AM
gblakeney
Senior User
Overhead Trip Computer

Go figure . . . .pre wired for everthing but the low power trip thingie! ! ! Fog lights, signal mirrors, running board lights etc. etc. I really think that if it is indeed a low power unit, we could find 12VDC in the console, and run our own temp sensor. Look at that Navigator and see where it's harness goes. Perhaps the trip module harness T's into the connector for the rear AC controls. That would make sense. I would have to look and see if there are fewer wires on the AC controller side of the harness than the ones on the truck side connector.

Old 01-15-2002, 06:47 AM
wdbatson
New User
Overhead Trip Computer

I'm also interested in this. Several companies offer dash-mounted electronic compass/inside/outside temperature/barometric pressure/altimeter units at very low prices. I'm looking for anything after-market to fill the hole or surface mounted over it.

So far, I haven't found a compass designed for mounting close to the roof, or that is backlighted.:-X23

Old 01-17-2002, 12:17 AM
Chris1368
New User
Overhead Trip Computer

Well guys,

I hate to say it, but I pulled the computer out of the Navigator and found out that the harness is on the passenger's side. It goes all the way back to the rear quarterpanel. I did not have this in my Expedition and tried to find the hot to make it work. There are approximate 8 to 9 wires with one being a red/wht stripe. I tried that one along with other combos but it didn't work. I don't know if the computer was just bad or the hookup would not work. The Navigator was wrecked in the front and the windshield was out. Rain water could have gotten to it. Also, the auto climate control had gotten wet. I did not try to take it out.

I still have the computer if someone finds out how to hook it into the console harness. Let me know if you do.

Old 08-08-2002, 06:13 PM
expedition99
Freshman User
Overhead Trip Computer

is a 99 xlt wired for signal mirrors. the overhead trip computer is wired to the left map dome lamp and the right side map dome. left wire color is, pink. right is lite,grn/pink. igot this info out of the haynes manual.

Old 11-12-2005, 07:03 PM
hooa2311
New User
whats up chris1368...i jusy read ur thread i dont know how long its been since u wrote it..but i'm in the process of hooking up the overhead trip computer in my expo too....i too had the blank spot in my console that said expedition..but it has the trip computer there now...i have all of the wires hook up in my truck acept..two..that are lingering..i searching for info on those wires now..it the ..2-orange/green wires trying to find out what they wire to and what they contol on the console...but to answer ur question about tryin to power on the trip computer to see if it works...u dont use the red/wht wire that wire is a hor power wire but its just for memory...the wires for power and ground or....(gry/yel strip wire -power) and (blk/light blue stripe -ground) so that how u test it to see if it works..just hook those two wires to a battery and it should power on for u...and like i said i dont know how long its been since u wrote this..so i hope u didnt throw away a good trip computer..hope i helped i little..any info that u find out about the trip computer that u find out just let me know..and i'll let u know..or any know for that matter...mine is hooked up and actually reading (mile to empty)..thats the only thing its reading right now ..and i dont know how accurate it is ..but its a step forward...so i'm signing off for now..as still working on my overhead trip computer

wires
gry/yel----------------power(hot in run only)
blk/light blue----------(ground)
yel/wht----------------(fuel tank sender)
gry/blk-----------------(speed sense wire)
light blue/blk-----------power(for buttons on trip computer)
red/wht----------------(hot at all times) for memory
2-org/grn wires---still dont know what these two wires are for..these are the two wires i havent hooked up yet.

KCS,

Old 11-13-2005, 02:51 AM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by hooa2311
whats up chris1368...i jusy read ur thread i dont know how long its been since u wrote it..
'bout 3 and a half years ago.

Old 11-13-2005, 03:26 PM
hooa2311
New User
my bad man..lol..like i said i didnt know how long it had been since u wrote it...but any way..did u ever get it installed the trip computer..and the climate control...because i like i said, my trip computer is almost done...and i was also thinking about installing a electronic climate contol too..so if u have any info on doing that, it would be grealy appriciated..thanx man..and sorry i couldnt have helped sooner.

KCS