Offroad & 4x4
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a lil help in choosing a lift....

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 05:44 PM
Cobra700
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for a lil help in choosing a lift....

Been looking around to buy a F250/F350 4x4 diesel with a lift but havent found anything nice. So looks like im gonna buy a stock one and lift it myself. So far I am leaning towards a 2005 F250 4x4 Diesel i saw. I will drive it almost everyday but i still would like 38's or 40s. The higher the better! HA! I had a Ranger with a 8 inch Skyjacker lift and 38s i drove everday, but this was about 10 years ago. So i've been out of the truck game for a bit. So i was wondering who is making good kits now a days? Saw the 8 inch lifts will clear 37s. What can be done for 40s? I had boggers and loved them but what would be a better tire that wont wear out quick on the street? Thanks for the help.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:25 PM
Prozon
Postmaster
So most of the driving will be on the street with this truck right?

A bogger is waaaaaaaaaay too agressive for a daily driver. Unless your driving it daily into mud. Lol.

Are you looking for a street tire or an all terrain?

Old 12-23-2009, 09:36 PM
Cobra700
New User
Originally Posted by Prozon
So most of the driving will be on the street with this truck right?

A bogger is waaaaaaaaaay too agressive for a daily driver. Unless your driving it daily into mud. Lol.

Are you looking for a street tire or an all terrain?

Yeah, i guess....Obviosly every weekend in the mud! LOL! I had boggers on my ranger and LOVE them! Don't mind the street driving only thing that sucked was the life on them. I do want an aggresive mud tire though. but last on the street if that makes any sense. Super swamper Radials?? i dunno.

Also been looking at the 8 inch lifts and see alot of different prices for the same manufacturer. Notice there is a difference in the components but really can't tell the difference. Who makes good reliable tough lifts now a days? Skyjacker still good? Procomp? Fabtech? Superlift?

Old 12-23-2009, 10:45 PM
Prozon
Postmaster
Skyjacker and Fabtech are the best i've seen. I have no experience with superlifts or procomp.. I hear superlift is good though..

SSR seems to be a pretty good tire. Either way its hard to find an agressive mud tire that gets good tire life on pavement..

You might go with a tire out of the interco family though. Cooper discoveries, ground hawgs both seem decent.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:50 AM
Blue Rebel
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For the newer superdutys, how nice of a lift depends entirely on how much you want to spend. Superlift and skyjacker have always made good kits out of the box, now you have companys like ORU, Donahoe Racing, BDS, Revtech, Rancho, Full Traction, RCD, and many more out there making stuff for the superdutys also. Alot of their stuff costs more, but you get way more in terms of ride quality and handling with the pricier stuff. Top of the line would probably be ORU or Donahoe Racing.

When it comes to tires, yes Super Swamper does make radials. They have The TSL, the IROK, and the SSR in radial versions. For proven mud terrains I have always loved how Dunlop mud rovers perform, I have seen these tires move trucks that should have been stopped dead in their tracks. Otherwise the Toyo Open Country MTs are probably the top of the line mud terrain to put on your heavy superduty. I know many people that have run this tire on lifted SDs, and they love it. Great on road characteristics, good life span to em, and still good off road as well.

"Decent" is a great way to describe the ground hawgs. they are a GREAT tire off road, second only to the boggers, but on road here in the states they are less than stellar. They are a VERY hard tire, and will wear forever, but unless you live in an area that allows studded tires, they are horrible in the rain and snow.

Coopers look good, and they seem to be hit and miss. I know some people that love em, cant say anything bad about them, where at the same time I personally know of at least 3 people who got the coopers, and the tires wore like crap. Chunking, flat spotting, and broken belts in less than 15k mi.

Here's some pics of the trucks I know of running some of these tires (the ones with pics on the internet anyways)

Mud Rovers:

Ground Hawgs:

IROKs:

Open Country:

Old 12-24-2009, 06:05 PM
itchy and scratc
New User
let it Rize

check Rize Industries. They may cost a bit more but they are made in the USA and the quality and workmanship is top notch

Old 12-25-2009, 12:36 AM
9.ford.5
Postmaster
the hawgs will far outlast a bogger and are very aggressive too, and you can get them in a radial so theyd last even longer...everyone ive talked to who was run ground hawg BIAS claims OVER 35000 hard miles on a mix of pretty well every terrain

my hawgs right now see about 70/30 street/offroad and ive got over 1000 miles on them and absolutely love them!

only lift ive installed on my personal truck is BDS...best warranty i could find, pretty pricey but now that the springs are broke in it rides ok...6" arched springs in the back make a short wheelbase truck ride like **** from any company...havent tested flex again since they broke in but when they were new and stiff the truck flexed like a brick

Old 12-25-2009, 12:50 AM
Blue Rebel
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cant believe I forgot Rize. Yeah, they have some real high quality stuff too.