Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Idle Validation Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 03:35 PM
nunya001
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Idle Validation Sensor

Can anyone supply me with pictures of how to locate the IVS on the pedal assembly? Also - I read a post by Pop and he says you should be able to hear it click when you depress the pedal with the ignition on but the truck not running - also should be able to hear it click when you release. Mine is silent. Here's Pop's post in a thread - https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...-response.html

Old 12-21-2009, 04:33 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the tps and ivs are one unit. Maybe someone else can confirm that. With the key on but not started just press slowly and you should be able to hear it. If not I think you can clean it. What is your truck doing?

Old 12-21-2009, 04:40 PM
maevans
Posting Guru

Here is the only pic's I could find. Hope it helps. (Thanks to the OBS boys)

Here's a picture that shows both the TPS and IVS. The bigger switch at the top of the pedal with the 2 torx screws is the Throttle position switch and the little one with the red boot on the plunger is the Idle Validation Switch.

Several years ago Ford told me the switch was not available seperately and the whole assembly was $130.00
I bought what was supposed to be a 97 pedal assembly off ebay and the seller sent me a 2000 pedal assembly by mistake.

The TPS's on both pedals are exactly the same and even have the same part numbers molded into the plastic. I don't know if all the 7.3 SD's use the same switch but for sure at least the 2000 and 96 are interchangable.

Old 12-21-2009, 04:55 PM
DieselBeast01
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have to get one of these, because my truck is having idle problems right now as well.

Old 12-21-2009, 05:02 PM
maevans
Posting Guru

I also found this while looking for the pic, way be of some help.

No throttle response, engine idles only, DTC's P0220 or P0221; Vehicle jerks in parking lots, especially manual transmission:

IdleValidation Switch.

The IVS tells the PCM that the accelerator pedal has returned to the idle position. Even if the pedal is fully depressed, if the IVS remains off, the engine will only idle. Watching the IVS and AP data stream, the IVS should switch on below 1.41 volts according to Ford. Navistar spec is 0.2-0.3 volts above base AP voltage. If the PCM sees the Accelerator Pedal sensor voltage increase with out the IVS switching on, it may set a code. The IVS and AP sensor cannot be replaced without replacing the entire pedal assembly. If the IVS switches on at too high of a AP voltage, it can cause the truck to buck at low speeds as the IVS cycles on and off as the driver tries to control his speed. The only way to correct this is to first loosen and turn the AP sensor to reach the lowest possible voltage reading on the scan tool and retighten. Then bend the IVS stop to adjust the on/off point to 0.2-0.3 volts above the base AP voltage reading. Note: There have been cases of lack of throttle response and the above codes which were caused by the PCM not recognizing the IVS "on" signal. Replacing the PCM corrected the problem. fficeffice" /><O></O>

Old 12-21-2009, 05:15 PM
nunya001
Senior User
Thanks - very helpful. I'm working through a process of elimination on this problem and was on the phone with Jason at DFA today and he suggested I check this. Here's the original problem. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...challenge.html

Old 12-21-2009, 05:32 PM
maevans
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by nunya001
Thanks - very helpful. I'm working through a process of elimination on this problem and was on the phone with Jason at DFA today and he suggested I check this. Here's the original problem. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...challenge.html
I just read your original thread.

Do you have access to another PCM to try ?

There have been cases of lack of throttle response and the above codes which were caused by the PCM not recognizing the IVS "on" signal. Replacing the PCM corrected the problem.

Old 12-21-2009, 05:49 PM
nunya001
Senior User
Hey Mark - Thanks for taking the time to read my original issue. I don't have access to another PCM - from reading you can see mine is the opposite so not wholly out of the realm of possibilities. When I first got the truck I had the typical intermittent no throttle response to pedal - at the time the shop servicing my truck replaced the assembly after first replacing the shifter stalk on the column - after a few such experiences it became very obvious they had no business working on my truck. So with limited capabilities and challenged with honesty it wouldn't surprise me to find their work providing trouble.

I'll unbolt the assembly tomorrow and clean it and go from there. As mentioned above, right now it produces no noise in movement with the ignition on but the truck not running. Will report what I learn tomorrow. Thank you all for your help so far.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:02 PM
maevans
Posting Guru

Hopefully just cleaning the IVS, it will solve your problem.

Keep us updated and best of luck.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:14 PM
nunya001
Senior User
Yeah - that would be sweet, but I'm not counting on it. In my quest for answers and knowledge I've been doing a lot of reading on here lately and there are several folks with very similar problems - funny thing is I've read many posts that were going down the same road as me and I keep thinking OK - they're going to tell me what's up and then poof . . .the originator doesn't follow through for what ever reason. So I'll definitely report back regardless of outcome.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:47 PM
bfife
still plays with trucks

I believe there were 2 different pedal assm. up to 2000 had 2 switches after 2000 had 1 switch. Just swapped mine out this weekend because of an intermittant "dead Pedal" Dorman is now making an aftermarket replacement. So you can now by one at you local auto parts store and not have to go to the dealer.
Dorman # 699-203
NAPA # BK8255015
this is the pedal assm for 2001 and up with the single "combo switch"

Barney

Old 12-21-2009, 08:32 PM
nunya001
Senior User
Barney thanks for that info - I'm a 2001 and was looking at it tonight and it seems there was only one switch. Does yours make a click when you depress the pedal with the ignition on but the engine off? Can the single switch one be cleaned like the previous one?

Old 12-22-2009, 05:05 AM
bfife
still plays with trucks

No click. my 97 used to but the 02 never did. Cleaning may be an option but its doubtful. all this is is a wiper switch. the resistance coils are probably just worn off. the price from NAPA wasn't bad. less than $100

Barney

Old 12-22-2009, 05:26 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by bfife
I believe there were 2 different pedal assm. up to 2000 had 2 switches after 2000 had 1 switch. Just swapped mine out this weekend because of an intermittant "dead Pedal" Dorman is now making an aftermarket replacement. So you can now by one at you local auto parts store and not have to go to the dealer.
Dorman # 699-203
NAPA # BK8255015
this is the pedal assm for 2001 and up with the single "combo switch"

Barney
Both the early and late have only one SWITCH. The early assembly has two PLUGS, one for throttle position, one for IVS, whereas the later one has only one (bigger) plug, which just combines the wires from the other two into one.

You gotta' listen very carefully to hear that micro-switch "click". It's faint, and you won't hear it if the engine is running.

Pop

Old 12-22-2009, 10:32 AM
nunya001
Senior User
Pop - mine is completely silent, even pressed with my hand and my head under the dash. The whole assembly shouldn't be more than 1.5 years old - so I'm going to pull it and clean it this afternoon.

Quick Reply: Idle Validation Sensor