Massachusetts Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: donjamer

Commercial vs. Non-Com Registrations in MA

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 09:03 PM
donjamer
Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by MadJoe
I'm starting to think individual DMV's and inspection stations just do what ever they feel like. Even with the new cameras it seems certain parts of MA law aren't applicable if the garage you've gone to doesn't want to apply it and the DMV you registered at allowed you to get passenger plates.

As far as I know MA law is if the vehicle is not on the exempt list and meets either one, or both of the following criteria it must be registered and inspected as a commercial vehicle: 10,001+ GVW, and/or 5+ wheels on the ground.

But it seems some inspection garages will inspect your truck as a passenger vehicle if the DMV allowed you to register it as a passenger vehicle even though it met one or both of those criteria.

So yeah, about as clear as mud.

My own personal experience in Dec 2016 was that the 1st 2 garages I went to to get inspected said I needed commercial because 6 wheels (my truck is only rated 10,000lbs GVW), and the 3rd said passenger plates, passenger inspection. I was thinking that with the new cameras garages would start insisting on the 5+ wheel provision, but maybe I'm wrong since Don was able to get his done. Yes, my truck is officially out of inspection. I tried to get it done, but the weather made starting it a chore, and the season made finding time almost impossible. So maybe next week after we all dig out from under this thing with the weather that's about to happen...

I guess my only question for Don, other than the one Ken already asked, is what is your truck rated GVW wise? Is it 10,001 or more?
Yes Joe my truck is over 10,001.. I believe it is actually 11,000.. I will have to look at the sticker

The rules as I understand it is more than 4 wheels it is required as commercial vehicle.. which means 1 year registration and DOT inspections..

If any truck has signage for a business it will need commercial registration..

I have neither on my truck

Old 01-04-2018, 08:04 AM
BIGKEN
Received 7,207 Likes on 4,249 Posts
Rule was changed a number of years ago...10,001+ also requires commercial reg.

Old 01-11-2018, 02:15 PM
sky Cowboy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 250 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by BIGKEN
Rule was changed a number of years ago...10,001+ also requires commercial reg.
Get a slimmer mistress....and drive an F150....problem solved....your welcome

Old 02-20-2018, 06:25 AM
LiquidSteam
Posting Guru
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 2002 F350V10
I last year bought a new superduty gate with step from a man who is retired. He sold the gate cause he put a fifth wheel on his truck and wanted to travel and live throughout the country at his leisure with his wife. He sold his house, and bought a trailer to live in.

He rents something called a "traveling mailbox " from somewhere in north dakota and has the truck, registration , and his drivers license and insurance there. He pays a monthly fee, and gets his mail sent there. He calls them on the phone whenever he wants, tells them where temporarily he is, and they send whatever mail he has accumulated to him whereever he is temporarily at around the country. No costs of an empty house, no worries, whereever he is at, hes home.

I never heard of it before, but I believed him, especially with the nd plates I saw on the truck.

Any of you could circumvent this issue with that game plan.

The problem with doing this (for me anyway) would be that I own a home in Massachusetts. If you were ticketed (in order to be found not responsible) you would need to prove you live out of state for more than 183 days a year. That would be impossible for most.

Old 10-07-2018, 09:23 AM
wkswenson
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heard a rumor in the campground that we are in that legislation was passed yesterday for this? Anyone have any information on changes?

Old 10-10-2018, 11:00 PM
jimd1050
Worry later? IT IS LATER!
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by donjamer
Yes Joe my truck is over 10,001.. I believe it is actually 11,000.. I will have to look at the sticker

The rules as I understand it is more than 4 wheels it is required as commercial vehicle.. which means 1 year registration and DOT inspections..

If any truck has signage for a business it will need commercial registration..

I have neither on my truck
I'm 11,100 on my SRW F-350 short bed and I have a Ham Radio Callsign Plate (which is effectively a special vanity plate) and it's always been registered as passenger, even with my 3000lb truck camper onboard!

Old 10-22-2018, 03:11 PM
gsxr1300
Posting Guru
Any updates?

Old 10-25-2018, 10:31 AM
LNGary
Freshman User
Commercial VS Non

Update - 2
Received new passenger plates today. Halleluiah
.......Just had to call the insurance company for a new RMV-3 form and took it to the RMV. No problems, no questions asked.

UPDATE
- Call the registry today and they confirmed the change in commercial plate requirements. My Ford 350 Diesel Dually 14000# rating can be registered as a regular vehical. Going to register tomorrow 10/26. Will let you all know the outcome as soon as it happens.

I was getting a sticker yesterday 10/23 in Middleboro. At check out the tester told me they had changed the rule two weeks ago. I haven't been able to confirm but will ask when renewing my registration soon.

Old 10-31-2018, 03:15 PM
gsxr1300
Posting Guru
Thanks for the update!

Old 11-05-2018, 06:17 PM
wkswenson
New User
Old 11-24-2018, 03:57 PM
Teddy O
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe 2.05(b) on page 2 shows the new language on this.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...WP2vPTqsgZz8nx

Old 01-03-2019, 07:13 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,203 Likes on 577 Posts
Just stumbled back onto this thread. Thanks for those that posted about the DRW law finally being passed! I had no idea....

By the way, the info posted in the last page or two about 10k and over GVWR is incorrect. There was never a requirement for trucks over 10k GVWR to be registered commercial in MA. There are uninformed inspections stations that think this from time to time causing confusion with consumers. However SRW trucks, no matter the GVWR, were always passenger unless lettered or used in commerce. Inspection stations do need to be licensed to inspect vehicles over 10k to do a passenger inspection on a 11.5k SRW 350 so some paces can't do your sticker. However, there are indeed two 10k plus type inspections. Commercial and passenger. Dealers seem to always know the difference which is why I always take my 11.5k SRW 350 to a dealer for my passenger/non commercial sticker. Private inspection locations seem to get it right about 50/50 and I'm tired of educating/debating with them...

Old 04-14-2024, 09:44 PM
MoTel2024
1st Gear
Originally Posted by satwood
Folks,

Have any of you been caught in the Massachusetts commercial registration vise that I have encountered? It seems that even though they recognize F250 and F350 pickups as elegible for non-commercial registration, if you have a dually, you have no choice. MA has a one sentence clause in their rules, 540CMR2.05-3(b) which states "Any vehicle which has five or more wheels on the ground" must be registered as commercial. This after they excludes campers, motor homes, and a whole list of other things, making it targeted specifically at dual rear wheel pickups.

I am forming a campaign to get this changed as it is a ridiculous extra burden for those of us with trailer campers. It makes the registration, inspection and toll fees hundreds, maybe thousands of dollars higher for no apparent benefit to anyone except the state. If you are of a similar mind, can you let me know here so we can get an organized letter writing activity going to both the Governor and the Registrar?

If you have had similar experiences in other states can you share those here as well to help me build a stronger case to get a change made? I am specifically looking for either states that allow the non-commercial registration of DRW F350s and similar trucks, or those states that have recently had changes to allow such use.

The registry in MA has publically commented that they support the rules because of numerous people not registering their commercial vehicles as such. Those of us who are legally using our DRW trucks for personal enjoyment and recreation should not be treated badly in retalliation for those who circumvent the commercial registration vehicle laws.

Moderator: If this would belong in another area of the forum then please let me know and move it. I figured the Super Duty people would be most likely to have an opinion on this.

Thanks
Steve
Not completely true.
Here is the whole paragraph if you care to look:
"Any vehicle which has five or more wheels on the ground; except that a pickup truck which has five or more wheels on the ground that is registered to an individual and is used solely for personal use shall not be classified as a "commercial plates required vehicle" for purposes of registration unless another provision of law requires such registration;"
I have a dump truck 24k lbs as a personal vehicle, personal plate. I do not use as a comercial vehicle and it is registered to myself. It is a 98 Ford 10 wheeler dump truck that I want to fix more and make it a relic.

Old 04-14-2024, 10:37 PM
richsoucie
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MoTel2024
Not completely true.
Here is the whole paragraph if you care to look:
"Any vehicle which has five or more wheels on the ground; except that a pickup truck which has five or more wheels on the ground that is registered to an individual and is used solely for personal use shall not be classified as a "commercial plates required vehicle" for purposes of registration unless another provision of law requires such registration;"
I have a dump truck 24k lbs as a personal vehicle, personal plate. I do not use as a comercial vehicle and it is registered to myself. It is a 98 Ford 10 wheeler dump truck that I want to fix more and make it a relic.
At the time this was posted in 2009 there was no exclusion for pickup trucks and they had to be registered as commercial. The law was updated in 2018 to add an exemption for pickup trucks.

The following users liked this post: