CA Non Commercial Class A for recreational purposes

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 11:11 AM
Beast2017
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CA Non Commercial Class A for recreational purposes

Hello everybody.

I wanted to write this up a while back but I haven’t finished my actual drivers test skills test. Here in California the DMV requires you to have a California non-commercial driver license class A if you are pulling 5th wheel trailer more than 40 foot long and over 15,000 gross vehicle weight. We purchased our 2016 Winnebago scorpion that is 44.10’ in overall length and 15,000 pounds dry with the gross weight of 20,000 pounds with the pin weight of 2900# and no one told us that we needed a noncommercial class A license.
​​​​​​​

We own a 2017 Ford F350 single rear wheel with the camper package. The towing package is possible for our payload capacity is 3588 and we wanted to be legal. That being said when you go to the DMV you must pass all of your drivers test so if you have a motorcycle license you need to redo the motorcycle license and the written test for the regular drivers license plus a commercial class A license, minus the chemical test and brakes portion of the written test called a California noncommercial class A, for recreational use.

Next is the skills test which will vary upon the vehicle you’re using, for example fifth wheel trailers , motorhomes with conventional trailer that are over the limit on the DMV of California. After you do your written test and pass you will receive a permit allowing you to drive with a licensed class A driver either commercial or noncommercial for one year just so long as you learn the proper skills to do your test. You can go in and do the test anytime between that year with your permit allows you to train. You have 3 chances to pass.

When you come in to the test facility the first thing he will have to do is go over your vehicle and RV on proper pretrip inspection items such as tire pressures, stop lights, turn signals, oil indicator lights, fluid levels, felt conditions all need to be noted on the pre-trip inspection. Read your California driver license and book for a list of items necessary to check in front of the instructor and every time before a trip :-) . Next you will be asked to pull aside to a test facility or area in which you will perform some tasks they say that they vary depending on test facility. This is something that I and some of the other would-be license holders were wondering about why some people had to do an alley dock parking in a 12 foot wide space and some had to parallel park. The right-hand turn around cones which states in the handbook is no longer part of the test.

I went to the Fontana California test facility and to be honest the instructors there we’re all very nice people, however I think there are used to doing commercial class A and the non-commercial side of things seem to be maybe not written down in concrete.

The first thing I did was pulling up and back up 100 feet into a set of cones in which you had to back in straight. Fairly simple but things can get nervous when tons of people are staring at you. Next you pull up 100 feet and back into the adjacent set of cones so it’s back in 100 feet but with the turn. Next they had me do a alley dock, which check it on YouTube, there are several videos that will help you do this correct. YouTube truly helped me.

After failing the first alley dock test I watched the video for a few days and went back and it was time for another round. Since I had passed the pre trip inspection it was only the skills test left to do and boy did that video help. I passed and it was off to a drive around town and the highway luckily no mishaps and I passed!! I hope this write up is informative to fellow Californians that want to pass this test and aren’t sure about it . I’ll answer questions here on this thread if needed. Happy camping!

-on a side note, the dmv records all the vehicle vin and weight stickers . They never weigh your rig or ask for a slip which makes no sense to bring your own rig for the test. If anything ever happened you have the dmv note rising the fact that you passed a skilled and driving test with the rig so all must be legal. They wouldn’t let you on the road to begin with says the instructor I asked which brings up a question what if my truck was a lil heavier and the total sum of both rigs were “commercial territory”, hmmm??

​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​

Old 01-29-2018, 07:57 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 931 Likes on 679 Posts
Appreciate the write up, congratulations on your success!

Old 01-29-2018, 09:00 PM
Beast2017
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by wpnaes
Appreciate the write up, congratulations on your success!
yuu are welcome my friend

Old 07-15-2018, 03:53 AM
mike15771
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a 96 f250 4wd it had the same problems going on I changed filter and everything else like speed sencer changed pins in plug in on transmission on shifter switch on transmission cause pin will go bad on them water gets in plug and rots them off but didn't fix my problem I wasn't buying a new transmission and I wasn't paying to get damn thing rebuilt I bought a nother truck put motor &transmission out of that one I went from the e40d to a 5 speed did all that work converting it to a standard and all my trouble was the wire harness and fuse box under the hood and how I found that out I tried to start the thing after I got everything changed and it would not start so I changed fuse box and harness under the hood hit the key started right up the truck had been a plow truck for the gas wells and all the water and road salt got up under the hood and turned all the wire in the harness green and caused them to brake so you might want to check for broke and nasty looking wire's under your hood before you spend a bunch of $$$$$

Old 07-15-2018, 05:32 AM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 931 Likes on 679 Posts
Welcome Mike! I’m guessing your post was meant for another forum. Luckily for us, FTE has made it easy to copy/paste your post back to the right thread. Then you can return and delete the post above.

Old 07-15-2018, 04:04 PM
r2millers
Postmaster

Originally Posted by Beast2017

​​​We own a 2017 Ford F350 single rear wheel with the camper package. The towing package is possible for our payload capacity is 3588 and we wanted to be legal. That being said when you go to the DMV you must pass all of your drivers test so if you have a motorcycle license you need to redo the motorcycle license and the written test for the regular drivers license plus a commercial class A license, minus the chemical test and brakes portion of the written test called a California noncommercial class A, for recreational use

I went to the Lancater facility a few years back. Originally I was going to get a 5th wheel endorsement allowing my to pull a 5 th wheel under 15,000 lbs. The DMV couldn't figure out which test to give me. I just decided to go ahead with a Class A non commercial and I'm glad I did, knowing we ultimately bought a trailer at 15,500 max gvw.

Each facility might vary for example, I already had a class 1 motorcycle and a class C regular vehicle license and didn't have to re-test for these.

The pre test checklist is Very important. They tell me 60% of applicants fail this section so know it, have a fire ext, chocks, 3 triangular reflectors, etc. They check for all of those things. There's about 50 items you need to review.

I had to do the 100' back up, dock parking, and the right turn cone skills test but it was a while back and things do change. Note, you have 10 points in which to fail the skills test.If you have to reverse direction as a result of a mistake, each change of direction costs you a point.
That too may have changed if they took parts out of the test.

Once you've passed all of the tests above, then the driving test. Know the speed limits, any bridge heights you go under, etc.
​​​​​​​

​​​​​