Radio/NAV Swap...HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 06:32 AM
CombatMedicF-250
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radio/NAV Swap...HELP!!!!

Hey all...I have a challenge here. SO you installers please look close! LOL I have a 2008 Ford Fusion with the OEM NAV/Premium sound system. I would like to take that out of my Fusion and place it in my 2006 F-250 Lariat. The Lariat already has an aftermarket pioneer nav system with sirius...but honestly I like the simplicity of the OEM over my pioneer.

Any ideas?

Old 12-20-2009, 07:35 AM
CombatMedicF-250
Senior User
No one has a solution? I know there are some pretty smart people techies here!

Old 12-20-2009, 02:51 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
I've never looked at the interior of the fusion, not so sure I've seen one even. If it's the same chassis (double din) and the plugs look the same, it may cross right over. Both vehicles should be CAN equiped and only require unplugging the aftermarket stuff and plugging in the fusion. Unless you mean replicating one radio into two radios.

I'm not completely sure what the issue is, are the radios physically different, wrong plugs, or you want an easy way to use one radio for two vehicles?

Old 12-20-2009, 02:58 PM
CombatMedicF-250
Senior User
OK. I had the OEM radio taken out of the 2006 F-250 Lariat and placed a double din AVIC in it. I honestly think the AVIC is just a pain. Since the 250 is my major driver I would like to take the OEM NAV unit out of my 2008 Fusion (Double Din). But, now I worry about the connections being right. Since now I have an aftermarket in the F-250 and an OEM NAV unit in my fusion.

Here it is in a nutshell:
1. Can it be done
2. I have stock sirius on the Fusion but desire to keep the aftermarket sirius on my F-250
3. What's gonna change as far as wiring? Is this worth it?

What's CAN equipped?

Old 12-20-2009, 03:21 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
To install the aftermarket, a good to decent shop will use connectors that just plug into the OE harness. So when you take out the aftermarket radio and unplug it, you're left with OEM connections, making it that much easier for the next upgrade or putting the original radio back in.

The Factory fusion radio should accept something like PIE's sat radio or AUX input interface so you can use the aftermarket sat tuner.

CAN is Controller Area Network, it basically is a computer network that lets the dash, radio, and the rest of the computers in the truck communicate. With some of the more recent radios, they don't have a switched power wire and use that network to know when to turn on and off, making it pretty important.

Is it worth it and can it be done, are kind of the same question in my book. Anything can be done with enough time and money, so I'll try to give all the info I can so you can decide.
2006 F250 radio
Radio 12v
lt. green/purple
+
radio harness

Radio Ground black and black/lt. green - radio harness
Radio Ignition pink + radio harness
Radio Illumination lt. blue/red (dimmer) + radio harness
Factory Amp Turn-on N/A
Power Antenna N/A
LF Speaker +/- orange/lt. grn - lt. blue/wht +,- radio harness
RF Speaker +/- white/lt. grn - dk. green/org +,- radio harness
LR Speaker +/- gray/lt. blue - tan/yellow +,- radio harness
RR Speaker +/- orange/red - brown/pink +,- radio harness
If you can find the wiring colors and/or pinouts for your fusion radio, this is where I would start. The info I have easy access to is only for doing aftermarket installs and misses the unnecessary stuff.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:33 PM
Frankenbiker
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you installed the AVIC the "smart" way, you used an adapter harness and thus did not cut up the factory harness in the F250.

All of Ford's late model radios (like the stocker in the F250) are electrically identical. 100% plug-and-play. What MAY NOT work in this instance is the dimming and speed-sensitive volume, but the radio will work and play out of the correct speakers. Additionally, the mount "ears" will need to be changed. The F250 and Focus used ears that are about halfway back on the unit. Most everything else uses ears that are about 1/2 an inch away from the front face of the unit. You can flip them over to where they're at the correct depth, but the holes won't line up with the holes in the dash. They're about half an inch off. You can drill a hole in the brackets to match one of the 2 mount screw holes in the dash.

In 2007, some Ford vehicles started using the CAN bus to send the vehicle speed and dimming data; some vehicles did not. The SuperDuty did not use the CAN Bus until 2008, but the Fusion probably did. My understanding is that a Ford radio shop can reprogram the NAV units to use either method of vehicle data input (either CANBus or hard-wire). Talk to your dealer to see who does the factory radio exchange work for them, and then talk to that individual or business directly. The radio shops I've talked to will do so for a nomimal fee.

-blaine

Old 12-23-2009, 11:10 AM
hndacr
Senior User
Blaine is correct on all accounts. The oem nav in your 08 fusion is basically plug in play both mechanically and electrically. You may need so spend five minuted modding the brackets so they attach to the truck correctly. The system is your fusion will be programmed to receive signals such as reverse gear, ignition on, speed signal, dimming, etc via MSCAN. Your 06 truck does not have the ability to receive any of those signals over CAN. Also, if your truck has steering wheel controls, those will need to be programmed becasue the super duty and fusions have different configurations. All the changes can be done via programming. Most Ford dealers can only program like for like using VIN data. I have done about a 100 reprograms thus far. Let me know if you are interested. I generally charge $85 + shipping.

Old 12-26-2009, 05:23 PM
medic2586
Mountain Pass
hndacr, do you advertise on ebay? i thin i have conversed with you prior

Old 12-26-2009, 07:25 PM
hndacr
Senior User
I don't advertise on ebay. I have sold several units on ebay. There is a guy on ebay who only sells reprograms. I have also just done word of mouth, not an actual business.