6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

TSB's and Warrantee's

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 04:37 PM
'08FX4
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSB's and Warrantee's

Quick question:
if I own a vehicle that is affected by a TSB, and I am out of my 3/36 bumper to bumper warrantee, am I still eligable to have the repairs done?

For example I have the A/C clunk :TSB 09-4-1 - AC ACCUMULATOR ASSY - thumping or bang noise from the A/C unit. This noise happened each time the A/C engaged.

And also the white smoke issue: TSB 08-25-1. They replaced CAC COOLER ASY
those two things were copied and pasted from a different thread.*

I know I have the 100k powertrain warrantee still so I am thinking I'm covered because both are engine (thus powertrain) related
I do have an extended service bumper to bumper warantee also, that matches the years and milage of the 100k powertrain warrantee, but that one has a deductible that I don't want to pay if I don't have to.*

Does anybody know the answer. Are there covered under the manufacturer powertrain warrantee?

Old 12-16-2009, 09:14 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
A/C is not covered under the 5/100. that is a 3/36 only.
the cac is covered under 5/100. I dont have a book in front of me to tell you if that would fall under emmision and that may also come down to what state you live in. so there would be $100 worst case there.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:17 PM
'08FX4
Senior User
Thanks so much fo the info. Do you know what the "fix" is for the tsb on the A/C? I couldn't find much info and I couldn't find the Full Test TSB...

Old 12-17-2009, 02:08 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
here is a bunch of the TSB's out there: 6.4 PowerStroke bulletins

Old 12-17-2009, 03:30 PM
RoadJunkie
Senior User
I read the OP's question as whether or not an individual must 1) identify a problem, while under warranty, and correlate the problem with a TSB for paid repair. Or 2) Correlate a TSB to problem while out of warranty and , because the problem was identified and a repair outlined under a TSB, the problem would still be paid for by Ford. Is this correct? I don't know the answer, but it's a good question.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:33 PM
'08FX4
Senior User
That is my exact question worded far better than what my limited vocabulary could muster when I posted it... Thank you

Old 12-17-2009, 04:28 PM
'08FX4
Senior User
Sorry duplicate post. Edited

Old 12-17-2009, 07:48 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

tsb's are not covered outside the warranty period of the componet it was written to address.
If you are out by time or milage a tsb will not save you

Old 12-17-2009, 07:59 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have the extended bumper to bumper on my truck and two dealers have told me the cac hose is not an emissions item and that I would have to pay 100 deductible. That is about the price of the hose so the labor and clamps are free. They use new clamps anytime a cac is changed.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:20 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by 69cj
I have the extended bumper to bumper on my truck and two dealers have told me the cac hose is not an emissions item and that I would have to pay 100 deductible. That is about the price of the hose so the labor and clamps are free. They use new clamps anytime a cac is changed.
well we should be. but many dealers are high in parts and thats one that we "dont" need to chage. so we have been asked to lower the total repair bill as much as possible again.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:54 AM
'08FX4
Senior User
So I'm probably stating the obvious, or questioning it anyway: I take it you work at a dealership Cheezit? Can I ask you a question? (assumes the answer is yes)

If I came into your dealership and identified a problem with my headlights to you. My low beams only come on for about a second then shut off, and then I presented you with a printed copy of a TSB regarding superduty's with snow plows installed stating that , well the heck with it I'll just post it:
My truck was built 02/07 which fits this TSB.*

Your Vehicle: 2008 Ford Truck F 350 4WD Super Duty V8-6.4L DSL Turbo
Vehicle*»*Technical Service Bulletins*»*All Technical Service Bulletins*»*Electrical - Snowplow Lighting Issues *Notes
* Electrical - Snowplow Lighting Issues *
TSB 07-9-1
05/14/07
2008 F-SUPER DUTY - LIGHTING ON SNOW PLOW*
EQUIPPED VEHICLES - BUILT BEFORE 04/18/2007
FORD:
2008 F-Super Duty
ISSUE
2008 F-Super Duty vehicles are equipped with a smart junction box (SJB) and it's function is to provide protection against excessive current loads, typical of a short circuit, by shutting down circuit operation. The SJB strategy may interpret the switching between Ford headlamps and aftermarket snowplow headlamps, and vice-versa, as a short-to-ground, causing the power feeding a headlamp circuit through the SJB to be turned off.
ACTION
Reprogram the SJB to the latest calibration using IDS release 48.9 patch 9 and higher or 49.1 patch 1 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2007.5 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at the website.
WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage*
IMPORTANT : Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.
OPERATION * * * DESCRIPTION * * * * * * * * * * TIME

070901A * * * * 2008 Super Duty: * * * * * * * *0.3 Hr.
** * * * * * * *Reprogram The SJB (Do
** * * * * * * *Not Use With 12650D,
** * * * * * * *12651D, 12651D4)
DEALER CODING
** * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * CONDITION
BASIC PART NO. * * * * * * * * * * * CODE
15604 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 04

Disclaimer

so back to the question, would you view this as positive, or sluff it off and say "yeah we'll check that out". I get the feeling I'm being sluffed off here. I'm in the dealership Svc dept typing this
I did hours of reading, research, and investigating, both here and on snowplow forums looking for someone with a similar problem. I was coming up empty until "Senix" posted that linkup there with the service bulletins, and low and behold the (possible) solution hits me right in the face. I phoned Joe at the dealership I go to, and admittedly probably sounded so excited (like a todler that had to pee), when I called him about it to see if I could get it in today. I could just tell by the tone of voice his eyes were glazing over as I read it to him. I think I did alot more research than most customers would do, and gave them a ton of information about the conditions in which the lights work or don't work, ie if I eliminate the plow harness and plug the lights back into the oem plug I have no problem with funcionality of the lights.*

Sorry for rambling: so cheezit; if I came to you with this scenario what would be your reaction? Am I being a help, or being a pain in the ***? I mean these guys all know I do most of my own work, but I bring the big (sometimes expensive) jobs to them. I bought it here last year, and I spent over a grand on accessories I wanted about a month later, and have spent another couple thou. On various work on mine and my wifes '04 F150 crew cab. Transmission flushes, tripple differential service on both vehicles, I buy all my parts here for the work I do myself, filters, brake pads, new rotors on all four corners of the wifes truck, just before thanksgiving... Etc. I spend more than I need to sometimes just to give them the work, and to build relationship with the parts and service dept at the dealer I bought the truck from in the town I live in.*
I think I am the ideal type of customer based on all this, am I wrong? Be honest I can take it. *Thanks for listening, and thanks for the answers related to the original post.*

---Chris

Old 12-18-2009, 08:42 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
glad to help you find the TSB, hope it all works out.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:48 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

I for one love a custome with intrest in what is going on with there truck. The key here is to talk to the tech (sometimes very hard) and not the writer. They are just order takers with hopefully good phone skills.

If I had a customer that could say hey look at this it may help you fix my truck. Which it may it may also save me diag time. For me time is money in the bank so my.02

Old 12-19-2009, 01:19 PM
fx4superduty33
New User
my tsb problems

i'm having more issues my 08 psd 250 fx4. I read the tsb bulletins that were posted, and i'm having the smell of exhaust in my cab when i let it warm up. Now that we've had our first babyboy im very concerned of Co leaking into my truck. I have 34,500 miles so im still under factory warranty. How should i approach the dealer with this? Also the headlights are slightly cloudy which was another tsb. I love my truck but im always going to the dealer for something, ive had front crank seal replaced, raditor, front axel dust covers, two brake switches for the cruise control, it never ends.I just wanna get all of the problems resolved before 36,000. thanks guys for the help. Merry Christmas

Old 12-27-2009, 06:48 AM
homepukes
Senior User
Originally Posted by fx4superduty33
i'm having more issues my 08 psd 250 fx4. I read the tsb bulletins that were posted, and i'm having the smell of exhaust in my cab when i let it warm up. Now that we've had our first babyboy im very concerned of Co leaking into my truck. I have 34,500 miles so im still under factory warranty. How should i approach the dealer with this? Also the headlights are slightly cloudy which was another tsb. I love my truck but im always going to the dealer for something, ive had front crank seal replaced, raditor, front axel dust covers, two brake switches for the cruise control, it never ends.I just wanna get all of the problems resolved before 36,000. thanks guys for the help. Merry Christmas
Many people get on these websites and ask if an extended warranty is worth the price. I know you didn't ask but in your situation I'd get one before the original one runs out. I bought one for my 2001 GMC that I was having small problems like you have had. I continued to have little problems and I liked being able to take the truck in to the dealer whenever I did have a problem. I ended up selling it a couple of years later when I got my 2005 F250. I called GMC and got a prorated refund for the extended warranty. All in all I came out ahead or at least broke even. Either way just being able to take it to the dealer any time I had a problem made it worth the expense.

Quick Reply: TSB's and Warrantee's