1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Automatic to manual, what trani's will work with a 7.3?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 11:21 PM
hillbilly469
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Automatic to manual, what trani's will work with a 7.3?

I have a 95' 2wd dually with a 7.3 turbo, automatic which I would like to switch out for a 5 speed or even a 6 speed if possible. My auto looks identical to that in my 96 3/4 ton econoline 5.8 gas burner except the dowl pins are in a lower position. My question is will the run of the mill manual transmission from a gas burner work in my truck with a little modification or will I have to find one from a diesel? Will a 7.3 and a 6.9 manual interchange?I know I will have to plumb in a slave cylinder and add the clutch pedal and brackets all those parts are easy enough to find but the transmissions aren't. Has anyone done this swap? If so what will I need to do with wiring? And what will I run into that I'm not expecting? Thanks, Jesse.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:24 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the bell housings on the diesel is totally diferent then on the gassers. i think the 460 one may be the same but i'm not 100% positive

Old 12-13-2009, 11:30 PM
Oversize
Laughing Gas
I dont know if the 6.9 and the 7.3's will interchange but Im pretty sure you need one from a diesel rather than a gasser as the RPM range on them is very different. IE the gasser will operate at up to 5k RPM depending on the engine where as the diesel will only do 3k. Therefore IIRC the gearing is set higher on the diesel to compensate for the power vs the RPM range. meaning if you had a diesel tranny on a gasser it'd lug the engine pretty hard on take off, but take off screaming once you got it wound up. But again Im guessing here, Im not a tranny guy.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:39 PM
hillbilly469
Senior User
Originally Posted by Oversize
I dont know if the 6.9 and the 7.3's will interchange but Im pretty sure you need one from a diesel rather than a gasser as the RPM range on them is very different. IE the gasser will operate at up to 5k RPM depending on the engine where as the diesel will only do 3k. Therefore IIRC the gearing is set higher on the diesel to compensate for the power vs the RPM range. meaning if you had a diesel tranny on a gasser it'd lug the engine pretty hard on take off, but take off screaming once you got it wound up. But again Im guessing here, Im not a tranny guy.

That makes sense, never thought about that. Assuming thats correct then a gasser tranny would go through the gears quick and be like running in low range attached to a diesel. Definitely food for thought.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:34 AM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts
I know that any 7.3L tranny will work. I am planning to swap the 5-speed from my '88 7.3 IDI into my '95 at some point. You can also swap in a 6 speed from a 99-02 7.3

You will need the flywheel and clutch from your year (1995 in your case), and pedals from your style truck (in your case 92-97)