Sponsored by: Moser

Gas Tank

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2000, 12:18 PM
Azford
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas Tank

Hey hope everyone is doing good. Just want to thank those of you who replied with information. It is very helpful. Another think I was looking at doing to my 65 Ford F100 was moving the gas tank from behind the seat to under the truck. Is there a newer model Ford I can look into switching the tank with? Any other suggestions? Please advise.

Azford

Old 05-12-2000, 01:32 PM
Charles-65F350
Senior User
Gas Tank

I have the same question for my '65 F350 (how to get the gas tank out of the cab and under the truck). So far I have not been able to locate an off-the-shelf tank - if you find one please let me know!
thanks
Charles

Old 05-12-2000, 02:40 PM
Willie
Senior User
Gas Tank

Hey Guys,
I've got a 1965 F100 I've had for a little over a year now. I've search for some time now for a fuel tank that would mount on the frame without a lot of work or modifications. I had even considered having a custom aluminum tank made locally but I would have had to move the frame brace further back to accomodate the 20 gal. tank so that it would not hang down much.
There has been several rumors by various sources that a tank from this vehicle or a tank from that vehicle will work but, I'm here to tell you that there is a lot more to it than what you would think when you get right down to doing it.
I've always wanted a nice tool box so, I found a very nice dimond plate aluminum toolbox / fuel tank combination, 41 gal. capacity that I just received 2 days ago. I am very glad that I made that choice. it's a bit expensive but for what I got compared to what I would have ended up with, I think it's a great deal. I've just more than doubled my fuel capacity and added a tool box on top of it that is flush with the top of the short wide bed, and got rid of the tank behind the seat. I can't wait to get it hooked up.
If anyone is interested in price and source let me know.

Old 05-12-2000, 02:50 PM
Azford
New User
Gas Tank

Yeah, I'm interested in the price and where to get one of those super duper gas tank/tool boxes.

Old 05-12-2000, 03:14 PM
Willie
Senior User
Gas Tank

The name of the company is Northern Tool & Equipment Company. The phone number is 1-800-533-5545. The item number in the catalog that I have for a short wide pickup is 349001-C141. The best thing would be to request a catalog and you can take a look see for yourself.
There are four(4) different ones. The one that I referenced the item number for is a 41 gallon and a 60 gallon are the only ones for a short wide bed pickup. The 90 and 97 gallon are for long wheelbase trucks. Mine cost $429.99 plus shipping. It cost me just short of $100.00 for freight shipment to southeastern Oklahoma. The only thing that aggrevated me was that they said it would take 4 to 6 weeks and it was 8 week to the day when it showed up.
They also offer a steel toolbox/tank for $299.99 that would have to be painted and it's only 30 gallon capacity.

Old 05-12-2000, 04:04 PM
liltoot
Junior User
Gas Tank

Well I finally talked to the guy who had put a late model Superduty tank in his 65 F-350 flatbed. The Superduty ran I think from 87' through early 90's. He didn't remember exactly which year he got it from.

He mounted it between the frame rails behind the cab. Had to drop the drive shaft to mount it. The exhaust is no problem he said. It sits above it.

He used the sending unit from the original tank, but said the one in the new tank should work with some adjustment. The new tank has an electric fuel pump in the tank, said he removed it. The filler house comes out from under the bed on the drives side. For a pickup box, you would have to cut a hole somewhere.

Said you can remove the old filler house and tank cap and replace it with a plug that Ford sells.

And an added bonus, the new tank has a built in skid plate!!

Oh yeah, this is the rear tank off the SuperDuty.

He said he didn't even have to drill any holes in the frame, there were holes there that worked fine. He had to use "all thread" to mount it though?? Said it is bolts threaded the entire length of the bolt?

He said this swap was fairly easy. Remember, this was on a flatbed, so how you want to do the filler house and cap is up to you.

If you have questions, just e-mail me and I will try and get them answered by this guy and will get back to you.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-12-2000, 04:14 PM
Willie
Senior User
Gas Tank

That fuel tank relocation may work great on a 350 or a 4x4 because of the clearance between the drive shaft and the frame. But, to do the same to a 2wd could prove to be disaster. The clearance between the drive shaft and the frame is not much at all and certainly would not work well with a load or undersize tires.

Old 05-12-2000, 04:22 PM
Willie
Senior User
Gas Tank

oops,
I must have had brain lock. The tire diameter would not effect the drive shaft to frame clearance.

Old 05-12-2000, 07:05 PM
AlM
Posting Guru
Gas Tank

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 12-May-00 AT 08:11 PM (EST)[/font][p]lil.."all thread" is threaded rod without a head...comes in lengths such as 4 feet in various sizes (3/8 th inch for eaxample) and grades..use grade 8 nuts and washers..thread..to mount that tank...and material..i.e., stainless..or steel...
here is a pic....http://www.williamsform.com/Threaded_Rods.html
or for grade 8...
http://www.barnhillbolt.com/
put spare nuts on the all thread so you can place it in a vise and hack saw it to the desired length...put it in a vise or clamp so the nuts fit in the vise's jaws..and then back em out to clean up the threads..use wd 40 to lube it while cutting and backing it off.

the tank/tool box is a great idea! thanks dude..

adios gang,
Al

Old 05-18-2000, 11:17 AM
Azford
New User
Gas Tank

Thanks for the information. I guess that the only way to get the tank out from behind my seat is to put it in my bed. I was hoping to move it under my truck. I plan on making my truck a hot rod, by lowering the front and also the back, so I guess that a tank under the bed won't fit. Can I use a tank out of a Lincoln or LTD or something? Also, my truck has some sort of reserve tank on the driver's side. Can I just use that as my main tank? Please Advise and thanks for the reply's.

AZford

Old 05-18-2000, 11:43 AM
Willie
Senior User
Gas Tank

I had heard that a fuel tank from a 70 model Mustang fits. The guy I heard about said that he used the filler neck from the 70 Mustang and cut a hole in the back bumper and mounted a spring loaded license plate onto the bumper, covering the hole just like the Mustangs had.
To do this modification the rear frame support must be removed and relocated all the way to the end of the frame.
I can't confirm any of this information. You may want to investigate the posibility.

Old 05-20-2000, 05:20 PM
Trail_Rider
Fleet Mechanic
Gas Tank

In the search for an auxiliary tank for my '72 I came across a used tank out of '73 Bronco. The owner said it only holds about 15 gallons. I bought it from him and it's almost a perfect fit where the spare is supposed to mount under the bed behind rear axle. Only problem is it came without the fuel sending unit which is in the front edge of the tank so there's a big hole there. The fuel sending unit and fuel pickup apparently are housed in the same plate. So once I figure out how to seal up the hole and make a pickup I'll still not be able to put a gauge on it, but it's going to work fine for what I want.

Trail Rider

Old 05-20-2000, 05:33 PM
Trail_Rider
Fleet Mechanic
Gas Tank