1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which tailgate light strip?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 10:45 AM
427ford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which tailgate light strip?

Wanting to put a light strip under my '04 SuperDuty's tail gate. LOTS of 'em out there. Wondering which brand / type you installed and how it worked out.

Old 12-12-2009, 12:53 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
If I was going to get one, I would find the ones that are split for L/R turnsignal and has white for reverse lights. Then I would build a pigtail and splice it into the stock harness so it doesn't take up space on the trailer plug.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:04 PM
427ford
Senior User
Actually, I'm not looking for multi-function. I'd just like to have a "not too bright" running light strip. If I get a multi-function, I'm not going to terminate anything but the running light wires.

Prices really vary on these things.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:40 PM
06silvercrew
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I want to get one too, been looking at the recon 60'' line of fire. I too do not want anything other then running lights so thats all I would hook up.

All the ones I have seen that have the white LED for reverse have been cheesy ebay lookin things, not my style.

Old 12-12-2009, 05:50 PM
sideshow
Elder User
i have the recon white lightening version. I really like it. it does have the white reverse lights, but they aren't that noticeable when backing up, especially if you have your foot on the brake. mine is cracked cause i put the tailgate down, without noticing something wedged in between the gate and the bed. I may replace it with the new extreme version, which has amber lights for the turn signals, whereas mine just has brighter red leds. I like the amber big rig running lights they have too, I've seen them on a dually and they look badazz. if you just want a red light bar, i'd get the plain line of fire. I think they are around 75 bucks right now.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:18 PM
Powerstroke_wannabe
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I installed the Line of Fire light strip from Summit on my rig four years ago. It's a running light, brake light, and L/R turn signal. It still works great and looks great.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:37 PM
polosabre
Cross-Country
Tailgate Light

I installd the Line of Fire about a year ago. Looks great. I purchased mine from Advanced Auto for around 70.00. It also has the break and turn signals.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:46 PM
enduro4231
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Personally I'm not a fan of the 'line-of-fire' lights as some call them. I've never really seen one that stayed real straight when mounted and it seems like alot of the LED's go out fairly easily. I like the simple 3 LED I.D. bar that is 3 red marker lights right in the center of the tailgate. Clean, simple, effective.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:58 PM
PERFORMANCE RED
Laughing Gas
I have had my line of fire lights for 3 winters now. I think it has been a great buy and very good quality. I bought one from my buddies truck last winter and he has had no issues.

Old 12-12-2009, 07:14 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
If you want something that looks stock Ford, see:
Truck-Lite - Catalog Product : Model 15 Polycarbonate ID Bar

You didn't indicate what kind of "strip" you wanted.

Pop

Old 12-14-2009, 11:44 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
I got the 4 function line of fires when they first came out on Amazon
and fits and looks good on my 05 Ex....

REALLY like the fact they the idjuts have to be exceptionally low on the totem pole to miss not only the HUGH Ex stopping in front of them, but also the bright brake lights !

They mounted really well under the doors ! and are protected there..

Old 12-25-2009, 04:29 PM
06silvercrew
Posting Guru
Well guys, I finally got one of these. The brand is OPTX (street glow) and my father-in-law got it for me at Advance Auto parts, they had it in stock for $59. The quality looks to be really good, and it fit like a glove and looks great. I too hard wired mine as I thought it would be cheesy just plugged into my trailer plug. Hopefully it will last awhile, but looking at it I dont see why it wont.

Oh and I did end up hooking up all the functions. I wanted just running and stop lamp part to work, but that would have required running a wire from the cab of the truck either from the brake switch or roof mounted light, as the brake/turn share the same bulb in the stock lamp. I may change it later but I didnt have the ambition to do all that today...it is christmas lol

Old 12-25-2009, 04:54 PM
jorlee
Senior User
Originally Posted by 06silvercrew
Well guys, I finally got one of these. The brand is OPTX (street glow) and my father-in-law got it for me at Advance Auto parts, they had it in stock for $59. The quality looks to be really good, and it fit like a glove and looks great. I too hard wired mine as I thought it would be cheesy just plugged into my trailer plug. Hopefully it will last awhile, but looking at it I dont see why it wont.

Oh and I did end up hooking up all the functions. I wanted just running and stop lamp part to work, but that would have required running a wire from the cab of the truck either from the brake switch or roof mounted light, as the brake/turn share the same bulb in the stock lamp. I may change it later but I didnt have the ambition to do all that today...it is christmas lol
There should be a wire just for the brake function at the rear. It comes out of the harness with a small tag on it, for the toppers with center brake light.

Old 12-25-2009, 04:57 PM
06silvercrew
Posting Guru
AHHHH heck really? Didnt even think of that but makes sense. Anyone have any info on where it might be hidden at?

Old 12-25-2009, 04:59 PM
SLIM_DOWG
Junior User
I personaly agree with Enduro4321 100%. Those LED Strip lights are not the greatest. No matter what brand I ever bought, I had someone point out to me that the lights are not even and the brake and turn lights seems to fade out. I have notice this issue on other rigs , when they pass me on the freeway. I guess something happens to the solder joints inside. LED lights are suppose to last a long time, I would not buy those light strips anymore, waste of money...my 2 cents.. Shame,, they look cool at night.

I bought the same light as Enduro431. If you get the 3 light id bar that is made for the dually directly from Ford, it will fit the holes already made on the beds without the dually as well. No drilling needed. I hooked mine up to the trailer hitch plug. Took less than an half hour to install

Do a search on here under id light bar. A member on here did a great mod thread using this Ford OEM ID Light Bar. I think it cost under $40.

Slim_Dowg

Quick Reply: Which tailgate light strip?