Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

idle problem

Old 12-03-2009, 10:47 PM
ExtrmZ
Senior User
ExtrmZ is starting off with a positive reputation.
idle problem

Im new to the site, but not new to Fords. I have an 88 mustang that i have rebuilt the motor, tranny and painted it. I figured i didnt want to drive it in the snow this winter, so i picked up an 88 f-150. I have a problem with the way it idles sometimes

When i start it up, it runs like crap. it sounds real tough, a lot like theres a cam in it. it takes a few block of drivin for the idle to smooth out. I thought it was a problem with the open loop circuit, but it continues when the temp gauge registers sometimes too.

Other times it warms up in 2-3 minutes of running, and the idle smooths out like normal. This problem makes it tough to drive because its a 4-speed, and when I let out the clutch, it wants to die, but never actually does.

Any suggestions?

Old 12-03-2009, 10:54 PM
truckrider814
Posting Guru
truckrider814 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I had the same kind of problem with my 91. check for vaccum leaks that's what mine was and still is alittle i didn't replace them all just the ones that i saw that needed it. there is a way to do a leak test but i don't remember how someone will most likely jump in with more info for ya.

Kyle

Old 12-03-2009, 10:55 PM
ExtrmZ
Senior User
wouldnt that cause the idle to be crazy when its warm too? It idles fine after its been driven for a while.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:14 AM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
Lazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to all
Certainly check for vacuum leaks. Maybe also clean the IAC valve and consider a new fuel filter. I would also see if there are any stored trouble codes.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:56 PM
ExtrmZ
Senior User
wouldnt a vacuum leak cause it to run like crap all the time though? and the only stored code is one for the EGR.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:05 PM
BCHauler
Posting Guru
BCHauler has a good reputation on FTE.BCHauler has a good reputation on FTE.
Maybe your egr valve is sticking open a bit when its cold. That can cause some rough idle issues. I had this problem for a while on mine. Spray a little lube on the pintle when the truck is off and move it up and down a few times with a screwdriver. Solved my problem.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:45 PM
Saxon
Senior User
Saxon is starting off with a positive reputation.
When mine acts like that I have to clean the idle control bypass valve.

Old 12-04-2009, 11:56 PM
ExtrmZ
Senior User
Originally Posted by BCHauler View Post
Maybe your egr valve is sticking open a bit when its cold. That can cause some rough idle issues. I had this problem for a while on mine. Spray a little lube on the pintle when the truck is off and move it up and down a few times with a screwdriver. Solved my problem.

This would make sense for my problem. did you just spray lube in the slots on the side of the EGR valve? or where did it go into?

Old 12-06-2009, 06:41 PM
ExtrmZ
Senior User
so i found out that the egr valve is getting vacuum at a cold idle when it shouldnt. does anyone know about the vacuum system of the egr valve? the EGRC?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.