1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Airbags done, now need shock help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 11:58 AM
rtcalabrojr
Darksider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airbags done, now need shock help!

I have the truck all done with the airbags. I have to install some kind of shocks now.Can anyone help me out with the rear shocks for my truck? What type? Size?
Thanks!!!!!

Old 12-02-2009, 08:32 PM
rtcalabrojr
Darksider

Bump!!!!!!!

Old 12-02-2009, 09:03 PM
brucewolff
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I found an online document for Monroe shocks, which listed compressed and extended lengths and type of shock ends. You need to find shocks that have a range of motion or stroke length greater than what yours will go through. Since you have air bags, like I do, the stroke length under compression is not just how far it will compress normally but the distance from ride height to the fully deflated condition plus 1/2" or more just so you don't bottom out the shock. Now you have to allow some additional stroke length for rebound. I want to say that I used 3-4 inches for rebound. So add these together and that's the extended length for your shocks. What you will probably find is there are very few shocks long enough for your application. One thing that can help is if you mount the shocks at an angle, but no more than 30 degrees from vertical, it will reduce the amount of shock piston travel when compared to a true vertical shock. I'll try to attach a link to some Monroe info otherwise google for it. Hope this helps!
http://www.monroe.com/catalog/docume...engthSheet.pdf

Old 12-03-2009, 07:56 AM
thepitshop
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i`m installing toxic shocks on my truck, there supposed to be better than regular shocks and are made for air ride?? you should send a pm to SunDown, he really knows his stuff when it comes to air ride!

Old 12-03-2009, 11:33 AM
SunDown
Senior User
now that you have the bags in place, pick a spot where you think you would like the shocks to go, the closer to the spring the better and the more you can keep the shock verticle the better as Bruce mentioned.

The kind of shock really doesnt matter as long as it has the required travel to meet your suspensions needs. Where it gets difficult for us air is that we have, in large part, more suspension travel than most passenger cars. If you go through the link Bruce gave out to monroe, you can see that there are shocks with 11 inches of travel but they may not have the same mounting style you are looking for. Monroe makes a good shock and I would run them.
I havent looked into toxics in a long time. We used to run them because they were about the only shock that had a high compression rate and a very short travel. They were ideal on static dropped trucks. They might make a shock for air ride setups now, just havent looked into them.
Guys with a lot of suspension travel are running offroad shocks by Fox and King. Course you are talking about a lot of money going that route but if you have a lot of suspension travel, there isnt much choice, plus there is a wow factor with shocks that have a seperate resevoir.
I like a shock with two eyelets, one on each end. I have a levered rear suspension so mounting the shocks at the axle will result in about 14" of total travel which would equal an expensive offroad shock. However if I mount the shock on the lower four link bar closer to the air bag, the total distance the shock needs to travel is reduced and I can get away with a passenger vehicle shock.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:50 AM
brucewolff
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good clarifications!

Old 05-09-2010, 10:45 AM
rtcalabrojr
Darksider

Im finally getting to the shocks now!! Boy time flies! Thanks for the replys and i will let you guys know where im at soon. Thanks to all!

Old 05-14-2010, 08:37 PM
rtcalabrojr
Darksider

Here it is down with out shocks

Old 05-15-2010, 06:30 AM
xfordman
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It looks like you don't have much room between the axle and rear xmember. I would mount them diagonally from the axle to the rear of the truck, similar to the newer trucks. The shocks for the newer trucks might work, they are very long with a lot of travel.