Sponsored by:

Speedometer bouncing 93 Bronco

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 09:08 AM
GlennFordx4
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speedometer bouncing 93 Bronco

Hey guys, I am having a problem with my 93 Eddie,my speedometer is bouncing when I hit bumps in the road and it stopped working altogether for a few miles yesterday.It has been doing it for a few months now, I am sure it is electrical and wanted to know if someone here knows if the connection at the electric shift motor could be at fault since I had to fix my motor this summer from non use.I don't think it has anything to do with the VSS as I have no other problems ,tranny shifts fine,no engine light or codes and when the road is smooth it works fine and is almost dead on according to my gps. I don't have the factory ford manual yet for this truck and don't know to much about electronic assist speedometers,thanks.
Glenn

Old 11-24-2009, 09:49 AM
FLYINGRMK
Freshman User
My 94 is doing the same thing, sometimes it does not work then i can smack the dash and then it works. what a pain i would like to figure this out and fix it.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:42 AM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
well first start with the easy stuff. change your rear diff fluid and pull the sensor ontop of the rear diff and clean it off. make sure you add 80-90w fluid and a friction modifier if you have a limited slip in the back. once you have done this and the problem continues then i suspect your psom maybe dieing. if this is the case you will need to locate one from the same year bronco and change it out. just understand that the mileage that shows on the replacement will now show up on your rig. you may be able to get a replacemnt from ford but i suspect its very spendy. i think the ford dealer can get it to show the proper mileage but not sure it that can happen if you buy a used psom or not.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:15 AM
mprice
Elder User
Sounds like you need a new PSOM. It's not too difficult to get to and there are a lot of tutorials on the net. I think FTE has an article about adding a stock tach to a truck that didn't come with one that will show you what you need to see about getting to the speedo unit. You can pay Ford $450-$600 for an official replacement or get one from the junkyard (any '92-'96 bronco, f150, probably more) and live with the odo being off. There is a way to push the ODO forward but not backwards. I'd check to make sure the middle connection to your instrument cluster is tight before placing anything first.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:37 AM
Biggiebronco92
Freshman User
try the sensor on the rear diff before you do anything, its around $14 at autozone, one bolt, one plug, 10 mins to change on the spot.
i had the exact same problem.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:25 PM
GlennFordx4
Posting Guru
Thanks for the replies,I will check some of these things also,but I really think mine is an electrical connection. My Bronco has 88000.00 on the clock and it is a pavement pounder and never off road. My problem started a few weeks after fixing the electric shift motor when I busted my but getting a big electrical connector apart that I didn't need too. I had surgery on my right hand shortly after and never got back to check it and my hand is still messed up and not healed yet and the weather has been crappy the last few weeks when I have had the time to fix it. When I bought the truck I had a major service done to it including changing the rear end fluid and checking the vss as I read they can be problematic and everything was good that was about 7000 miles ago. I do have a spare PSOM though out of a 94 that I picked up with a bunch of other parts free from my local junk yard but I am sure it has a bunch more miles then my rig does.I always get the factory Ford manuals for my trucks but haven't had the money being out of work because of my hand.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:07 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I asked this somewhere else, but i don't recall the thread, so i'll ask again: Biggie, do you have the number part for the sensor? or know it's name?.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:49 AM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
its called the rear abs sensor. do not say VSS as they will give you the incorrect part.

Old 11-27-2009, 07:12 AM
GlennFordx4
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Kemicalburns
its called the rear abs sensor. do not say VSS as they will give you the incorrect part.
See, that's good to know I would have asked for a VSS sensor,thanks

Old 12-23-2009, 08:55 AM
GlennFordx4
Posting Guru
Well after replacing the VSS sensor (new one didn't work at all) I cleaned the old one up and reinstalled it and at the same time I tightened the connection up on the plug, it was better but on a big bump it would move a little so I got a new connector and just as I was going to install it my brother noticed a cut in the wire to the connector right where there was a space between the black wire looms on the rear. I repaired it and no more problems,I don't know how he even saw it because I didn't catch it when I was looking for it LOL. Right after that I got a flat and it turns out my tires were dry rotted looking at my tires you would have never thought they were (it just passed inspection to) I found a like new set of tires with deep dish alloy rims in the Ford bolt pattern for $250 on CL just 25 min away,turns out they are the same brand I had only a little wider 31x11.50x15 instead of the 10.50's I had. I will post pics as soon as I can ,it looks a lot tougher with the new rims.