Really nasty oil

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 06:40 AM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Really nasty oil

Finally got to a barrell of oil from the Sturgis Rally. Really thick stuff, had the consistency of cream and took awhile to get through the filter. I'm going to try and mix about 5 gallons of some thinner stuff in there. I'm hoping that if I pretreat it with Glycerol from the last batch, a lot of the solids will drop out and I will have cleaner oil to work with...

Old 11-24-2009, 08:56 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,895 Likes on 1,145 Posts
Good luck with that. I've found that 'creamy' oil will still tend to separate from clear oil after mixed. Not sure about the bio-d, but I can tell you the cloud point of the B100 will be similar to the feed stock. We made a batch of bio-d last year that was SOLID at 70*!! I ended up burning it in the heated VO system after setting the cubies in front of the torpedo heater in the shop until I could pour the stuff out...

Might be better to save it for 'summer fuel'.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:19 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Ended up titrating @ 4.2 after pretreatment. A lot of junk settled out after pretreatment. Still doesn't seem as clear as usual, will heat it up and see if it clears up a little... Rather cold today, upper 20's.

Old 12-03-2009, 04:17 PM
Tom D
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rushmore X
Finally got to a barrell of oil from the Sturgis Rally. Really thick stuff, had the consistency of cream and took awhile to get through the filter. I'm going to try and mix about 5 gallons of some thinner stuff in there. I'm hoping that if I pretreat it with Glycerol from the last batch, a lot of the solids will drop out and I will have cleaner oil to work with...
Hey Buddy. I guess I forgot to tell you I emptied my transmission oil out of my Harley into that stuff when I was up for the bike rally.
Just kidding. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving. Tom

Old 12-03-2009, 05:05 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Originally Posted by Tom D
Hey Buddy. I guess I forgot to tell you I emptied my transmission oil out of my Harley into that stuff when I was up for the bike rally.
Just kidding. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving. Tom
Wouldn't surprise me if there was stuff like that in there... seems to have come out ok though... I gave up gourging after the weekend, back to working out...

Old 01-17-2010, 03:20 PM
24Seven
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
all the oil I collect first goes into one of many 330 gallon plastic totes i have. I filter the oil the first time through a wire waste basket you might set next to your office desk (original intended use) I bought from walmart for about ten bucks. It works great for getting out all the larger stuff. Then i make a filter bags made out of bridal veil polyester material that has a finer mesh. This bag fits the basket and over the lip. The basket has a bolt through the bottom that is welded to the basket so it don't leak. JB Weld eventually failed with used cooking oil saturation. The basket is then mounted to a used metal 30 gallon drum cut 1/3 off from the top and flipped over so i can put a 2" pipe into the bung hole and attach it to 2" threaded bungs at the top of my tote . This serves like a big bowl with the basket in the middle to catch the oil being filtered and funnel it into the tote.So its filtered twice then the oil sits in the sun so all the creamy crap settles to the bottom of the tote. I only make my bio-diesel out of the clear oil floating on the top. I pump the good oil off the top then pump the creamies into another tote that sets for months...and as the clear oil separates I pump it off. Eventually the creamies will be a concentrated silt and crud. I have found my Bio-diesel will have better clarity and a lower gel point doing this. I have run B100 here down to 7 deg F. If temps stay that low too long I would probably get a gel problem. My Bio-diesel has been tested by Shaffer Oil Company to have a gel point of 10 deg F. Another thing that might be causing the lower gel points is the fact i do not wash my bio-diesel, so it still has methanol in it. Once my new tank still is done tho i will be recovering all the methanol out of the bio-diesel also, as i will be able to process/distill close to 300 gallons at a time.